Car not moving, ECU says misfire on all cylinders

foodlegs

Respected
Hi guys. I have a manual transmission 1996 Honda Civic CX hatchback. A few days ago I let my friend borrow it for a ~40 mile drive. The car had been running well prior to this and for most of the drive my friend experienced no problems and spent most of his time cruising in overdrive on the interstate. Suddenly, the check engine light started flashing and my friend ran into a red light before he could pull off the highway. When he tries to launch the car in first gear from idle at the stop light, the car suddenly barely has any power. He manages to get off the road, and the car no longer has any power as this point - flooring the throttle in first gear causes the car to creep forward several inches very slowly. At this point, the CEL is now solid instead of flashing.

Now that I have the car back at my house, I've been looking at it myself. I scanned the ECU while the CEL was on and it returned cylinder misfire codes for 3 out of 4 of my cylinders (P0301, P0303, P0303) as well as P1300. However, the engine sounds pretty much fine at idle and revving only sounds a little bit choppy (which it didn't before). But the car still absolutely won't move. My gear selector feels fine. I would normally assume my clutch is bad, but too many things here are throwing me off. The CEL cleared itself and now it won't come back on. The fact that the car simply stopped receiving any kind of power from the transmission doesn't seem like a clutch issue, and I've adjusted the clutch placement rod behind the clutch pedal and nothing has changed. I'm going to replace the clutch fluid tonight as a formality.

TL;DR: Car won't move at all. CEL says engine misfire sometimes, but engine sounds normal.

Has anybody ever heard of anything like this? I'm really confused, it seems like this could be anything from an engine problem to an exhaust problem to a clutch/transmission problem. I really want to eliminate other possibilities before I need to replace the clutch or even drop the transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Take a look at your distributor cap and the rotor underneath for corrosion

foodlegs

Respected
Take a look at your distributor cap and the rotor underneath for corrosion
guess i should follow up on this thread in case anybody winds up in a similar situation -

cap and rotor was actually one of the very first things i replaced. but ultimately, the problem just turned out to be my clutch, even though the build up to the problem was weird. i replaced it and everything is good now. long story short, i guess sometimes a clutch can die very abruptly rather than gradually, especially with a friction plate as bald as mine (there was literally no material left).

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not saying it's your case, but with manuals it's usually good to be a bit wary before letting someone else borrow your car. I had a friend borrow my del sol, said he was fine with it being manual, and when I got to see him bring it back, he was just spinning up to 5k rpm and letting his foot slip off the clutch for each gear shift. WHAM!

Never again :lol:

foodlegs

Respected
Not saying it's your case, but with manuals it's usually good to be a bit wary before letting someone else borrow your car. I had a friend borrow my del sol, said he was fine with it being manual, and when I got to see him bring it back, he was just spinning up to 5k rpm and letting his foot slip off the clutch for each gear shift. WHAM!

Never again [emoji38]
lol oh god!! i knew i was taking a risk, but when i saw my friction disk i knew my friend probably hadn't done anything wrong