Car won’t go into gear

Caron1998

I have a 2000 civic hatch. It was manual and d16y8 swapped when I bought it. I have had the car for about two months and drove it pretty rarely. I decided to drive it 7 hours back to where I live and had no problems. When I took it out the next day i shifted to third then the car began to slow down. It’s in neutral but there is not a lot of movement left and right. I can’t shift into gears. The clutch has pressure when I push down though. Any advice would be welcome.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Its becoming more and more common an Hondas, especially Civics that have been driving hard during their life. Is for the shift forks weld joints breaking. This prevents shifting of a manual transmission all together.

Before you start pulling the transmission for inspection though. Look under the car and just make sure the shift linkage isn't damaged. If it was bottomed out, say on rocks. Ive seen shift linkage get kinked by rocks from bottoming out or during competition from rally. If you bend the bars enough it can prevent shifting as the linkage is binding.

KateNickolson

The clutch fork could break, ask a friend to press the clutch, and yourself under the hood, see how the clutch slave cylinder works, it is behind the rubber casing, open it and look)

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The clutch fork could break, ask a friend to press the clutch, and yourself under the hood, see how the clutch slave cylinder works, it is behind the rubber casing, open it and look)
OP stated clutch pedal has pressure.
Its VERY unlikely a solid stamped steel clutch fork has broken. Now the throw out bearing could be bad but you would be able to tell when applying the clutch as it would be very noisy and/or have binding.