CC official computer tech/help thread (PC/MAC, smartphone, game console)

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought this would be a nice idea to do, since there are a lot more of us out there that are in to gaming on pc or mac, designing, smart phone application use/reviews and so on. I figured this would be an good place to post help topics, tech problems or question, builds, and so on as long as they are related to some form but not limited to pc (i.e. smart phones, game consoles, wireless net help and so on).

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I like this. While I'm here then... Raspberry Pi.... anyone? ;)

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
raspberry pi??? lol

anyways yeah i thought this would be a good addition to cc. we have the post your desktop section and ive noticed there are a lot of built systems.

on a side note im in the process of building a new system, its in the begining stages...but heres the break down

- AZZA Genesis 9000 CSAZ-9000W White 0.8mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
- 4x - ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- 2 - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q2-64GBZL
- 8 - Western Digital WD Green WD25EZRX 2.5TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think we've had a few of these threads and none of them lasted just because there aren't many "techy" people on here.

I wanna build another desktop but I don't make enough money :(. If I didn't have all this damn debt, I'd build one.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like this. While I'm here then... Raspberry Pi.... anyone? ;)
I have 2 of them, they are fun to mess around with, one runs my traffic lights and another I am making a small arcade with

raspberry pi??? lol

anyways yeah i thought this would be a good addition to cc. we have the post your desktop section and ive noticed there are a lot of built systems.

on a side note im in the process of building a new system, its in the begining stages...but heres the break down

- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
- 4x - ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- 2 - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q2-64GBZL
- 8 - Western Digital WD Green WD25EZRX 2.5TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
Your build makes no sense what so ever, why do you need 64 gigs of ram? Unless you are doing some crazy high end rendering with videos it serves no point at all. Plus 4 660's is a waste you can get much better graphics cards than 4 660's and just get 2 and run circles around any 660, are you RAIDing the hard drives or what lol and no SSD, psh n00b

My build which i have and isnt nonsense is
Core i7 3770k
16gb ram
2 256 gb SSD samsung pro drives
2 GTX 680

i also have a NAS box and a HTPC and a car pc

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
raspberry pi??? lol

64 GB?! I don't think all the servers COMBINED at my company have 64 GB lol.

I have 2 of them, they are fun to mess around with, one runs my traffic lights and another I am making a small arcade with
That's awesome! I want to get one, I've been researching them lately and there's SO much you can do with them.

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Your build makes no sense what so ever, why do you need 64 gigs of ram? Unless you are doing some crazy high end rendering with videos it serves no point at all. Plus 4 660's is a waste you can get much better graphics cards than 4 660's and just get 2 and run circles around any 660, are you RAIDing the hard drives or what lol and no SSD, psh n00b

Core i7 3770k
16gb ram
2 GTX 680

i know...its still constantly changing...as of the ram. yes i do alot of 3d rendering and motion animation using 3d max and blender. as of the gfx cards. in stead of doing 4, im switching to a dual titan set up. as of the ssd, personally i do not like them. ive done alot of research on the differences between both ssd and disc, both have their pros and cons. yes running 4 seperate drives then 4 in raid config. its still in a plan of attack stage although i am ordering the tower sometime this weekend since the antec 900 case i have finally took a poop on the power button, which on my tower is a sealed unit and cannot be replaced.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
What s bunch of nerds :D.

Right now my phone has better specs then my PC.

My question is am an Intel guy n would love a i7 but not at $1000. I just can't afford one. I might settle for an i5 but when I was looking around I found an amd 8 core CPU for the same price as the i5. I forgot the exact model. Before you ask why i would need 8 cores for. I have an answer for you. I build android roms n kernels. Most cores cab run 2 threads at a time buy only if they have hyper threading. So with 8 cores i can run 16 threads at a time when compiling the source but how does amd stand up against Intel?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Core i7 3770k
16gb ram
2 GTX 680

While his build is overkill, it's subjective. Everyone has different goals. No point in telling someone their build doesn't make sense. It will, however, be a $3k build lol. No thank you.

What s bunch of nerds :D.

Right now my phone has better specs then my PC.

My question is am an Intel guy n would love a i7 but not at $1000. I just can't afford one. I might settle for an i5 but when I was looking around I found an amd 8 core CPU for the same price as the i5. I forgot the exact model. Before you ask why i would need 8 cores for. I have an answer for you. I build android roms n kernels. Most cores cab run 2 threads at a time buy only if they have hyper threading. So with 8 cores i can run 16 threads at a time when compiling the source but how does amd stand up against Intel?

More cores does not = better hyper-threading and BUS. Check a benchmark comparison between the i7 and an AMD 8 core CPU. The i7 still slays.

You can pick up a moderate i7 that will tear through anything you're designing for a mobile platform for well under $1000. You could build an entire rig to code for mobile OS's for under/at $1k easily.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
While his build is overkill, it's subjective. Everyone has different goals. No point in telling someone their build doesn't make sense. It will, however, be a $3k build lol. No thank you.

More cores does not = better hyper-threading and BUS. Check a benchmark comparison between the i7 and an AMD 8 core CPU. The i7 still slays.

You can pick up a moderate i7 that will tear through anything you're designing for a mobile platform for well under $1000. You could build an entire rig to code for mobile OS's for under/at $1k easily.
I'm building fine in my current set up. However it takes 6 hours for the os it self n 1hr for the kernel. I usually build the os on my buddy's server with is utilizing the i7. That only takes me 2hrs to build the os n kernel inline. I know what the i7 is capable of doing. I just can't afford it but I want to do all my builds local. Less of a headache.

You say I can build a good machine for less then 1k. What do you suggest. Other then building the PC gets used for web browsing n web based games, and her school work. Cause of her school work I dual boot windows 7 n Linux mint 14 both 64bit. 64bit I'd required for building anything android related ATM.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those running an HTPC what media center program are you running?

I have tried Plex. Although it is neat, it is too buggy for me and half the metadata is wrong or doesn't show at all.

I switched to XBMC and ran that for over a year. It did excellent up until the release of Frodo 12.0. Now my movies end up dropping and kicking me out to the menu. Happens with quite a few movies now and it seems to do it at certain points. Although different for each movie, once it does it for a movie it does it at the exact same spot every time there after. Movies play fine all the way through if using a program like VLC or Windows Media Center. Frodo update 12.1 did not solve the issue.

I really like the XBMC layout and features but the dropping thing is getting annoying. It did NOT do it until Frodo. TV shows seem to play just fine.

Running Windows 7.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm building fine in my current set up. However it takes 6 hours for the os it self n 1hr for the kernel. I usually build the os on my buddy's server with is utilizing the i7. That only takes me 2hrs to build the os n kernel inline. I know what the i7 is capable of doing. I just can't afford it but I want to do all my builds local. Less of a headache.

You say I can build a good machine for less then 1k. What do you suggest. Other then building the PC gets used for web browsing n web based games, and her school work. Cause of her school work I dual boot windows 7 n Linux mint 14 both 64bit. 64bit I'd required for building anything android related ATM.

You get to rule out some of the most expensive components with your build: SSD and graphics card!
Your motherboard doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, because you don't need a bunch of PCI Express slots or anything.. you don't need silicone sealed, full-size etc., just a standard mobo that suits your needs.
If you're going for raw computing, look at a middle-of-the-line i7 (for economical purposes) such as this:
Intel I7 3770k
As far as a hard drive, you could get away with an SSD Hybrid Drive such as this:
SSD Hybrid Drive - 1TB
Then, run as much RAM as your budget will allow (I'd do 16gb):
Corsair 16gb DDR3 Ram

As far as processor socket, be sure that you give yourself something that is at least somewhat flexible. The above socket is decent, but you can probably find a better socket (Such as LGA2011 or so) that will have more flexibility.

You could STILL cut cost by going with a less expensive RAM kit, and with those components, you're under $500. A decent GPU, case, and cooling system (just need good fans) will be less than $300. Boom. $800 and you have a decent build (sans OS).

Those running an HTPC what media center program are you running?

I have tried Plex. Although it is neat, it is too buggy for me and half the metadata is wrong or doesn't show at all.

I switched to XBMC and ran that for over a year. It did excellent up until the release of Frodo 12.0. Now my movies end up dropping and kicking me out to the menu. Happens with quite a few movies now and it seems to do it at certain points. Although different for each movie, once it does it for a movie it does it at the exact same spot every time there after. Movies play fine all the way through if using a program like VLC or Windows Media Center. Frodo update 12.1 did not solve the issue.

I really like the XBMC layout and features but the dropping thing is getting annoying. It did NOT do it until Frodo. TV shows seem to play just fine.

Running Windows 7.
To be honest, I ruled out using a PC as a media center anymore. We just use a NAS drive connected to my router, download media to it, and stream it using a gaming console (Xbox 360/PS3). Works stupid good, and a 3TB NAS drive was like $200. Much cheaper than a PC.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
You get to rule out some of the most expensive components with your build: SSD and graphics card!
Your motherboard doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, because you don't need a bunch of PCI Express slots or anything.. you don't need silicone sealed, full-size etc., just a standard mobo that suits your needs.
If you're going for raw computing, look at a middle-of-the-line i7 (for economical purposes) such as this:
Intel I7 3770k
As far as a hard drive, you could get away with an SSD Hybrid Drive such as this:
SSD Hybrid Drive - 1TB
Then, run as much RAM as your budget will allow (I'd do 16gb):
Corsair 16gb DDR3 Ram

As far as processor socket, be sure that you give yourself something that is at least somewhat flexible. The above socket is decent, but you can probably find a better socket (Such as LGA2011 or so) that will have more flexibility.

You could STILL cut cost by going with a less expensive RAM kit, and with those components, you're under $500. A decent GPU, case, and cooling system (just need good fans) will be less than $300. Boom. $800 and you have a decent build (sans OS).

To be honest, I ruled out using a PC as a media center anymore. We just use a NAS drive connected to my router, download media to it, and stream it using a gaming console (Xbox 360/PS3). Works stupid good, and a 3TB NAS drive was like $200. Much cheaper than a PC.
I like how your pointing me in the right direction n greatly appreciated. Hardware is not my forte. What peaces can I use from my current set up. I know my motherboard is obsolete. I'm using ddr2 ram so that's gonna be a no go. I know i can use my current hds I have now for storage and look into a smaller size ssd. I can always upgrade later down the road. What about my current power supply, case, and coming fans?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried that route for a while before I built the PC. I hated it. I don't much care for streaming if I don't have to. Plus there is a major downside to streaming from something like that through the PS3. There is a blu ray security protocol called Cinavia. I am certain that you are well aware of it.

Problem with my set up is my PS3 isn't hacked so it is running the OEM software and with the current updates the new blu rays have a coding in them that cuts off the audio after a short period of time if they are burnt or ripped. When I run them through XBMC this security feature doesn't get in the way.

New dvds are also getting this Cinavia treatment and in the near future they all are going to have it or some form of it.

Even though they are my store bought movies Cinavia can't be carried over to the ripped file.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I programmed my own front end on my laptop while at work on slow days lol, it runs everything I need it to and can run GameEX as well. Works great and easy enough my GF can flip it on and use it.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Figured I'd bump this page up. I build my pc about a year ago and this weekend I swapped my hardware over to a new case. Here's the album. http://imgur.com/a/sZ2fu

The 8pin 12v cable was too short to route along the back of the case. I have an extension coming in the mail.

The specs are:
Intel i7 2600k
16 GB Corsair Vengeance ram
GTX 560ti
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
700w OCZ PSU
Asus Z77 motherboard
Cooler Master 212 CPU cooler
Bitfenix Shinobi case

Peripherals:
CM Storm Tenkeyless keyboard with cherry blue switches
Razer Deathadder mouse

In the future I would like to add a 128gb Samsung 840 pro SSD and possibly upgrade the video card.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Figured I'd bump this page up. I build my pc about a year ago and this weekend I swapped my hardware over to a new case. Here's the album. http://imgur.com/a/sZ2fu

The 8pin 12v cable was too short to route along the back of the case. I have an extension coming in the mail.

The specs are:
Intel i7 2600k
16 GB Corsair Vengeance ram
GTX 560ti
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
700w OCZ PSU
Asus Z77 motherboard
Cooler Master 212 CPU cooler
Bitfenix Shinobi case

Peripherals:
CM Storm Tenkeyless keyboard with cherry blue switches
Razer Deathadder mouse

In the future I would like to add a 128gb Samsung 840 pro SSD and possibly upgrade the video card.
I've always been curious... Do CPU coolers make that big of a difference? Noticeable to the average user? I don't do a lot of hardcore gaming, plus my entire computer has 10 fans total (cpu, gpu has 2, rear exhaust, PSU is based on temp, top exhaust, front intake, SSD, 2 side intakes), and I honestly don't even know how well much they truly help lol. All my temps never get too hot so I guess somethings working right.

I shared in another thread but to keep this one going, I built myself a new setup recently as well:

MSI 970A mobo
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core CPU
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU
ASUS GTX 650Ti GPU
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD (LOVING this) - also got a fan cooler for this
Win7 64-Bit

I kept the same case, sound card, and CD-ROM drive.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've always been curious... Do CPU coolers make that big of a difference? Noticeable to the average user? I don't do a lot of hardcore gaming, plus my entire computer has 10 fans total (cpu, gpu has 2, rear exhaust, PSU is based on temp, top exhaust, front intake, SSD, 2 side intakes), and I honestly don't even know how well much they truly help lol. All my temps never get too hot so I guess somethings working right.

I shared in another thread but to keep this one going, I built myself a new setup recently as well:

MSI 970A mobo
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core CPU
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU
ASUS GTX 650Ti GPU
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD (LOVING this) - also got a fan cooler for this
Win7 64-Bit

I kept the same case, sound card, and CD-ROM drive.
I'd say they really don't make much of a difference unless you are overclocking.