Change...EM1 content

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
SpringFest and a local fundraiser, Rumbles for Rescues, to benefit the county animal shelter. I was a bit out of place and was awarded for Best Specialty. Additionally, with all the interest, they requested an on the spot discussion on the car and the Attack the Dragon event that I co-host.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Picked up for another show. So I'll take it up to Richmond in Sept.

Joined with TrackLifeComposites and am now sponsored by them.

Went out to Sumospeed's monthly meet, Night Moves.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Cars been out for a couple hundred miles and needed to go up on the air for an inspection, for my peace of mind, before getting out to autocross. Decided not to autocross a couple weeks ago due to weather. I want to shake down and have fun, insane rain doesn't fit that bill...lol. But unless it's unsafe this weekend, I'll be out there. Need to shake it before the Aug 19th track day, that I'm now confirmed for.

With the car being up, I tossed on my buddies 275/35 Hoosiers just for giggles. I have no intentions of going this route. But it was good data, especially for TrackLifeComposites.

Additionally, I came across a post on IG about running Mini Cooper rotors and these lug shims to secure the rotor better. No more slop.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Made the autocross on 8/5 and finished first in street tire class. Car felt solid. Shake down showed I shouldn't have used a second hand clutch master cylinder. It started leaking inside the cabin, typical. New item ordered from AFH, along with a brake controller for the Tahoe and paint to repair the leaking issue.

Additionally I setup an old phone to connect to the S300v3. Decided to try a Wink mirror, requiring the AIM lap timer be moved, so back on the dash via the magnet system integrated.

Finally, new Spoon socks on the reservoirs as the old EM1Crew were rather slack from age.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pulled the front end off in prep of the track day on 8/19. Changed from the GoPro brand roll bar camera mount to the very solid Track Solutions mount. Then loaded up!

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
8/19 - Dominion Raceway!

Car was phenomenal. Just made a couple damper adjustments for this track. No issues to repair. I didn't die...haha.

Seen are the rear tires, old R-S3. Wear characteristics are great. I bought these new. They have about 10hrs in track days. 4 autocross events, 2 Dragon events (about 2,200 total miles) and some regular street driving, maybe 500 miles. Not bad for a 200TW tire!

15 min of the last session of the day.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Post track inspection was clean. Left it in the air through Hurricane Florence though as we were in the evacuation zone in VA. Fortunately we made it through with no measurable rain and almost no wind.

Prepared for the Clean Culture event in Richmond, VA last weekend. Personally, it was a terrible event. But it was good times with friends.

Placed my HighwayStar Garage banner on the car as I'm a prospect with them since back in June.

Designed some mini vanity plates for shows/track that take place of my front license plate and don't cover any of the lower grill.

LRB Speed door panel blanks came in. Hopefully get them ready to install before I leave for the Dragon next week. We'll see...

Last edited:

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And to think you were going to sell it all apart, good job! This is about the only thing I come back to see
Still not off the table to take apart and move everything. But my plan for doing so this winter is on hold. Given that the tracks within 2 hours of me are having single day track days, I'm able to balance family and hobby more comfortably to me. I went to the one and still made it home to spend time with my daughter and put her to bed. Should be the same for the one at the end of the month. I'm giving it a little more time as I do enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I enjoy my family.

But I thank you for coming back to check things out!

I'm heading out around 0500 for the Dragon event this weekend. Good times!

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
3M carbon wrap on the door panels for now. Likely change that over the winter. Passenger will be in place before I leave Friday. Plastic push rivets are just a place holder. Ordered Downstar low profile fender flare hardware to clean up the look a bit. Scheduled arrival is Wednesday.

And the blue cooling cloth will be my AC system, asking with windows down, for the trip from VA to TN [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dragon update! Although some likely saw this stuff via social media...

Fill up Thursday before. Friday morning rolling out. Meeting up and building the caravan to 6 cars.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Friday night meet and greet and Saturday lunch happenings. Part of the group rolling out via the Killboy drone.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moonshiner 28 coming into Fontana and on the Dragon heading to the meet and greet.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
**Grab a Snickers and a cold (or warm) beverage**

As my photo of the car at the Dragon, without a front bumper, led to questions as to what happened, I was holding providing details until everything was sorted out. We all know what happens when you post about something negative, it becomes the story, regardless of the outcome. And it's hard to follow up with the outcome after everyone's gone off in their directions.

Saturday afternoon I was leading the group from Fontana Village to the bottom of Fontana Dam for the annual group photo. Almost immediately there was a loud metal on metal thud, wheel lock up, tire smoke and then grinding. I maintained control of the car and got it stopped as quickly as possible. I had only been traveling about 20mph going downhill at a roughly 8% grade, per the sign. Knowing I'd just checked the car for safety following a track day and prior to making the trip to NC/TN, I couldn't imagine what the problem was. Even doing a quick check the afternoon before at Fontana.

We quickly found my right front wheel to have a newly cut line inside it, due to the front lower control arm pushed down, driving the ball joint stud into the wheel. Due to location, we immediately setup people at the top and bottom curves to the hill we were on and sent the rest of the group on. The event photographer ran up to call a wrecker (thus no front end on the car, damage prevention/recovery ease). Clearly the (new) ball joint had failed. After looking at options and trying to make several work, only one played out. I was saved by a good friend driving all the way out from VA with his trailer to recover both the car and myself to get home.

Upon getting the car home and up to further inspect, there was minimal damage, considering. Ball joint failure, wheel cut in half from the rotations of moving evolutions, tire damaged beyond reuse, axle boot ripped up, associated items to that, money and time. And of course the disappointment of the car being done and not getting to participate in the Dragon event or last track day of the year.

Along all of this, I provided details and photos to ESM RACE showing what happened. We've spoken and communicated electronically multiple times over the last week and a half to come to agreeable terms in resolving this issue. While I will not disclose the details of this agreement, I am very pleased with what they have offered. Let's face it, most wouldn't likely respond to the communication, let alone provide much more than a "sorry" or maybe the replacement of the failed part.

These extended spherical ball joints have had a revision made to them since my purchase about a year and a half ago to address the failure point. Anyone with these should contact ESM to discuss this.

Photos show what happened. Additionally, for those unfamiliar, I show a side by side, in different perspective, what the ball joint should look like. And the pressed cup sitting on the bolted bearing assembly, that should be inside that cup.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Up for the foreseeable future.

Think Performance stuff and awesome service with a personal letter with my springs.

4Runner started leaking transmission fluid. Pulled the skid plates and found the cooler hard line leaking at the weld. Rock Auto replacement swapped in, full flush and Amsoil fluid put in. Amsoil oil change and a tune up. All this while I was sick with a 102 fever. Had to push through before rain and the colder weather that was coming in!

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wheel replacement came in, tire pulled from the damaged wheel.

Broken down (damaged) ball joint with old and new comparisons. Old has the circlip holding the bearing assembly in from the bottom and the machined shoulder inside the cup. The new has the machined shoulder on the bottom and the circlip inside the cup.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Accepted to the indoor showcase for SpringFest 2019 in VA Beach.

Decided to be silly and jump on my buddies race spec built trans, since my trans sold very fast...maybe I sold it too cheap!

New specs...
Civic Type R S4C Casing.

Spoon 1st through 5th close ratio gearset.

ATS & Across 4.929 Final Drive

Cusco RS LSD 1.5 way (Initial Torque cold set at 5kg)

Synchrotech Master rebuild kit

Assembled by Spoon/Type 1 while he was in Japan.

Pulled the old, cleaned up and prepared the new for install, mounted up.

Fancy manifold block off plates.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not much activity since the trans went back in. Much time spent with the family.

ESM parts will be replaced with this amazing geometry correction kit from Honed that was brought in by Santa.

Only work done, ball joints pushed in and breather line lengths cleaned up as I just threw it together back in the spring to get rolling. Plan was to address it this winter.