Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by neepaw, Nov 19, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. neepaw

neepaw New Member

So I recently got my Honda Civic from my brother and the check engine lights been on since he had it. He gave it to me because he now has a new car and I went to a shop to fix up everything that was wrong with it, wheel barrel, axle, and other problems. They even checked for codes that could cause my check engine light to turn on and apparently there were none so they erased the check engine light for me and said if it turned on I shouldn't worry about it. A few weeks after I finally went on the freeway for the first time to pick up my niece and on the way back it turned on. Should I be worried?

2. DeathLens

DeathLens EM1 Crew Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

What code is it throwing?

3. 2slo4u

2slo4u wait4me Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Wheel barrel? Haha
    but yeah check the code(s). What kind of shop just says to not worry about it if it pops up again? The cel only comes on when it's trying to tell you something. If you were tuned differently than stock it's make more sense to not worry about it

4. young_

young_ out on bail Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

What year model is it? If it's newer than 96 it's an OBD2 (on board diagnostics 2) and you can take it to autozone, advanced autoparts, NAPA, Pep Boys, O'reily's, etc. and they'll scan it and tell you what code it's throwing.

5. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

If it's a re-occurring CEL, I would get it scanned asap.

As young_ stated, you can get it scanned for free at places like Advanced Auto Parts. The one I go to, they just let you walk out with it and bring it back. One of the employees asks for a driver's license but he's the only one that actually cares.

6. neepaw

neepaw New Member

They said there was no code so thats why they couldn't figure it out.

7. neepaw

neepaw New Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I have some friends who work at Autozone and O'Reily so I'll hit them up as well. :D

8. Decipher

Decipher New Member Registered VIP

Might I recommend that you find a different shop... that's some bad advice they're selling you at your current mechanic. If they were smart and wanted your business they would've told you to come back in the event the light came back on.

Regardless, you need to pull the codes. That's the first step in deciding whether or not you should be worried about anything.

How'd the wheel barrel turn out? Did you run over some landscapers or something?

9. DeathLens

DeathLens EM1 Crew Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

That's BS. Go to a different shop. It wouldn't pop up if theres no code.