Check Engine Light

neepaw

So I recently got my Honda Civic from my brother and the check engine lights been on since he had it. He gave it to me because he now has a new car and I went to a shop to fix up everything that was wrong with it, wheel barrel, axle, and other problems. They even checked for codes that could cause my check engine light to turn on and apparently there were none so they erased the check engine light for me and said if it turned on I shouldn't worry about it. A few weeks after I finally went on the freeway for the first time to pick up my niece and on the way back it turned on. Should I be worried?

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What code is it throwing?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wheel barrel? Haha
but yeah check the code(s). What kind of shop just says to not worry about it if it pops up again? The cel only comes on when it's trying to tell you something. If you were tuned differently than stock it's make more sense to not worry about it

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What year model is it? If it's newer than 96 it's an OBD2 (on board diagnostics 2) and you can take it to autozone, advanced autoparts, NAPA, Pep Boys, O'reily's, etc. and they'll scan it and tell you what code it's throwing.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it's a re-occurring CEL, I would get it scanned asap.

As young_ stated, you can get it scanned for free at places like Advanced Auto Parts. The one I go to, they just let you walk out with it and bring it back. One of the employees asks for a driver's license but he's the only one that actually cares.

neepaw

What year model is it? If it's newer than 96 it's an OBD2 (on board diagnostics 2) and you can take it to autozone, advanced autoparts, NAPA, Pep Boys, O'reily's, etc. and they'll scan it and tell you what code it's throwing.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I have some friends who work at Autozone and O'Reily so I'll hit them up as well. :D

Decipher

Registered VIP
Might I recommend that you find a different shop... that's some bad advice they're selling you at your current mechanic. If they were smart and wanted your business they would've told you to come back in the event the light came back on.

Regardless, you need to pull the codes. That's the first step in deciding whether or not you should be worried about anything.

How'd the wheel barrel turn out? Did you run over some landscapers or something?