Civic EJ1 Build - 95 Civic EX

Droppin' Tacos

Respected
Hello Civic Enthusiasts! New to the Forum. Thought I'd share my build with you all. 1995 Honda Civic EX (Gen5 2-dr EX: EJ1). Equipped with Stock D16Z6 SOHC VTEC 4-Banger. This car is my Daily Driver and my Daily Lover. Haven't done too much work to her yet, but I have big plans for her in the near future.

I just washed, Clayed and Waxed her over this last weekend. Also, just changed Oil, Oil/Air/Fuel Filters, Bled Clutch Fluid, Changed Spark Plugs, SP wires and Distributor Cap and Rotor.

Current:
  • CAI (Fabricated - K&N Filter)
  • Coilovers
  • Neuspeed Front/Rear Strut Tower Bars
  • SONAR Projector Halo Headlights and SONAR Taillights
  • Enkei Wheels with Khumo Ecsta Lo-Pro's
  • Japan Spec Shallow Side Molding Trim
  • Threw a Single-Din Pioneer Head Unit in
  • Pushing a 10" Rockford Fosgate T1 (DVC - Wired at 2 Ohm)
Plans:
  • High-Flow Intake Manifold
  • Exhaust Header / Full Exhaust Upgrade
  • Sway Bars
  • Short Throw Shifter
  • Going to replace Underhood / Shifter bushings with Brass Bushings (Don't care for squishy bendy OEM bushings)
  • Going to replace Trailing Arm Bushings and probably replace Rear Lower Control Arms.
  • Possible Camber Kit (Just to have the option and make friends jealous) Not a hug fan of uneven Tire Wear. O_o
  • Boot on Slave Cylinder is getting old, probably replace the Slave Cylinder soon.
  • HO Alternator (For Audio Setup)
  • New Battery (Pretty much plan on doing "The Big 3" upgrade..)
  • Focal Component Speakers
  • Interior Illumination (Under Dash - On/Off with Dome Lights)
  • Not sure if I want to Turbo the Stock Engine or Swap for a DOHC first. I know the Engine Bay isn't huge, but I am contemplating dropping an H22 in it. Still on the fence..
It is a work in progress. I think I am done with body work for the most part. So, I am now at a point where I can focus more on the Engine/Suspension/Accessories. As I stated before, work in progress...
I don't see too many EJ1's around these parts (Gen5 EX/SI 2-dr). I do see a lot of Gen5 Hatchbacks, however. I love them both. (Disclaimer: 2-door Gen5 Civic EX was sold as an SI in the Canadian Market - Just an FYI) =)

Feel free to give me some suggestions or share your thoughts. I am open to constructive criticism. Let me know what you think, and let me know if you want more Pics!

=)

Last edited:

Static_cris

Question. Was it alot aof work to get those headlights installed? Ive been thinking bout getting some

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clean car. Never been a fan of those headlights or tails, but whatever floats your boat

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
What size are those Enkei? They look pretty good on your EG man! Only thing I'd take off would be the tail lights lol not a fan of those. But good start!

anv2tk

Respected
Good look. You can tell you went through a lot of work getting the aesthetics going ... performance wise, are you looking to go deep into tuning? If so, then I'd say an H22 swap or any B series/frankentstein is in order. If you want something modest, respectable, or even a sleeper setup, then maybe stick with the stock engine and rebuild that sucker.

Question: have you considered going the for the "JDM" look as far as head/tail lights? The ones you have on look good for sure, but just curious ... maybe some side markers on the fenders ... I think it would add to the 'cleanliness' of your setup.

Droppin' Tacos

Respected
Question. Was it alot aof work to get those headlights installed? Ive been thinking bout getting some

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
It was actually pretty breezy. You will have to remove the Bumper but it doesn't take much time to drop it and pull the old ones out. Only thing that is a b***h is, if a light goes, you have to drop the bumper to pull the Headlight Assembly out in order to replace the light. It is a pain, but if you get a bulb that is worth a s**t, you should not have to do this often. I am planning on getting clean Stock Headlights and Taillights and putting them on.. The halo looks great and all but I love the Bone-Stock Civic appearance (Looks more like a sleeper that way!)

What size are those Enkei? They look pretty good on your EG man! Only thing I'd take off would be the tail lights lol not a fan of those. But good start!
They are 15" - 'Preciate the comments everyone! And the Taillights Comment... I do indeed plan to remove and replace with stock!

dancam

Registered VIP
Did you do any of the things you had planned 7 months ago yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droppin' Tacos

Respected
Good look. You can tell you went through a lot of work getting the aesthetics going ... performance wise, are you looking to go deep into tuning? If so, then I'd say an H22 swap or any B series/frankentstein is in order. If you want something modest, respectable, or even a sleeper setup, then maybe stick with the stock engine and rebuild that sucker.

Question: have you considered going the for the "JDM" look as far as head/tail lights? The ones you have on look good for sure, but just curious ... maybe some side markers on the fenders ... I think it would add to the 'cleanliness' of your setup.
Hey I see you recently bought your first Civic. Congrats on that my friend!

While I have had the Stock motor for the last 7 Months and it has served me well, I am actually getting ready to swap the engine in a few weeks here! I had been contemplating an H22 originally.. and still love the idea. It has taken a lot of hard thinking to decide if I just wanted to Boost the D16 or if I wanted to swap out, but finally I have decided to swap for a Dual Cam. I am most likely looking towards either an LS Integra B18 or a B20, exactly what you suggest. My plan is to slap that sucker in there, zip tie a Turbo on that hot piece of metal ass and go bask in my glory and soak up some V8 owners tears! (LOL)

Not sure if I will want a High Flow Header or if I would want to keep the back pressure on the pipe-cleaner sized Stock Header. I have never boosted, so I am not sure but I will certainly do my research.(Please let me know if suggestions!)

I went ahead and got a new head unit installed (A Pioneer, nothing extravagant), and I hooked up Component JL Speakers in the Front and Rear. 100% raw, Teeth-Rattling, Cock-Shriveling Audio. More crisp than a Nature Valley Granola Bar.
Some old Senile Fogie backed into my baby, rHonda, and dented the rear quarter panel pretty good. Thankfully, it didn't cause any damage to the wheel or suspension. I was able to get the dent fixed, via a Paintless Dent Removal Service. (He did a phenomenal job and I got to keep the Original Panel which was noicee).

Did you do any of the things you had planned 7 months ago yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OOO I got this nice new shiny... oil filter. That's about it lol - Over the last 7 Months, I have simply been focusing on Upkeep and ensuring she is being properly pampered. I sanded/painted the Wiper Arms, replaced the Blades. I got a new Tint Job as my previous s**t-Job was flaking off into my eyes, blinding me while I was screaming down the Interstate at 90 MPH. On the up side, I don't have to wear sunglasses now because my eyes-sockets are sitting at about 15%. (JOKE)

I'll tell you, my Camry (R.I.P.) was an arm and a few legs for a Tint, but the Civic was cheaper than dog s**t. Having 2 less doors yields a few benefits. As I stated above I plan to SWAP so I am SUPER STOKED for that. =)
What do you drive?

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gentlemen, @Droppin' Tacos joined and posted this June 17, 2015 and hasnt posted again. Its unlikely that he'll reply.
It was actually pretty breezy. You will have to remove the Bumper but it doesn't take much time to drop it and pull the old ones out. Only thing that is a b***h is, if a light goes, you have to drop the bumper to pull the Headlight Assembly out in order to replace the light. It is a pain, but if you get a bulb that is worth a s**t, you should not have to do this often. I am planning on getting clean Stock Headlights and Taillights and putting them on.. The halo looks great and all but I love the Bone-Stock Civic appearance (Looks more like a sleeper that way!)

They are 15" - 'Preciate the comments everyone! And the Taillights Comment... I do indeed plan to remove and replace with stock!
Boomsauce! Eat crow lol he cam back

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What a rarity! Welcome back. Its a very clean looking coupe worthy of a thread revival.

anv2tk

Respected
@Droppin' Tacos

dude, your writing style ... HILARITY! lol not many car guys out there with a light sense of humor. that's all, just wanted to point that out lol. :laugh:

also, since this thread came back with a force, please keep us posted with some pics!

Droppin' Tacos

Respected
Thread Revival, take two! ha

@Droppin' Tacos
dude, your writing style ... HILARITY! lol not many car guys out there with a light sense of humor. that's all, just wanted to point that out lol. :laugh:

also, since this thread came back with a force, please keep us posted with some pics!
Lol that's awesome. I hear you though, most people post snooze threads and I ain't about that snoozey life.
I recently found out that PhotoBucket thought it would be funny to remove Third Party Hosting for anyone that isn't interested in paying $500 bucks a year. I'm not laughing, so I packed my s**t and went on a quest to find a solution. Thankfully Google Drive made my quest easy, so I updated the pics and added a couple.

In other news, I had been focusing a lot on my bike and I have recently resumed my project for Big Red here:

I have purchased the following:
  • 2000 H22a Euro R - 220 Hp / 163 lb-ft Torque
  • T2w4 5 Speed LSD Tranny
  • Hasport EGH3 Motor Mount Kit
  • P72 ECU w/ H22a Basemap
  • Accord Shifter Box and cables
I have a few parts on the way and I should be getting started on the swap come October 6th weekend! It will be a torque monster, so I will be planning to increase the wheel size a few inches, probably won't exceed 17".

After the swap, I will be working on suspension and various aesthetics, but I will not be deviating much from a stock look. Will be repainting (same color, don't worry :p) and I damaged the front lip going over a speed HUMP, so that will need some attention as well.

Sorry for the year gaps between posts! lol Any questions, please fire away! I hope to hear some war stories from other H22 EG owners!