Civic Virgin

Astnbllr

I bought a 95 Civic ex.
It has a d16z6 motor, I'm not sure how to tell which transmission.

I've been repairing small to medium sized engines for a long time, but I've never tried to modify a car before.

I figured this was the best place to start. I like Legos, and I hear civics are made of Legos.

I replaced my alternator today. It went pretty well.

While I was under the car though, I noticed some serious damage to the transmission housing, where it connects to the motor.

Also, I got a nice oil shower, so I'm thinking it's time to get serious about restoring this car.

And maybe modifying the crap out of it.

I'll play it by ear.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reliable cheap motor I can swap in with relative ease? I don't have much of a budget to work with, and let's say it's a good thing I'm resourceful where tools are concerned.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Budget, use, intentions????

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Astnbllr

Like I said, I'm not trying to make it a race car. I want it to live forever. So I'm looking for the most bullet proof transmission within reason, same goes for the engine.

My budget is next to nothing. I'll have to buy parts in small increments, a hundred bucks or so out of each paycheck.

I'm not sure how easy it is to swap between d-series motors vs switching over to like a k-series or something.

But I'm looking for a bit of a challenge anyway. My biggest concern is part cost, rather than man hours.

Astnbllr

I suppose my first specific question is how to go about choosing a new engine and transmission.

I'd like the most durable transmission I can fit within reason.
The engine is secondary. The most important thing is that it fits the new transmission well, and also the car, obviously.

Today is the first day the transmission has given me real trouble. It needs to go soon.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You've already admitted you have 0 budget really.
Find another d16z6 with matching transmission, direct swap.
Going with a B and especially a K, your budget and mechanical skill need to increase.

Astnbllr

I do have lots of friends who can help me figure it out. My buddy Austin has actually done a d-to-b swap before. Besides, I'm up for a challenge. I want DOHC.

And most of all, I want the beefier transmission. I've settled on a b16a3 or something close to that. I think.
I may need to get a loan haha

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And most of all, I want the beefier transmission.
For what purpose?
What do you base this info on?

I've settled on a b16a3 or something close to that. I think.
I may need to get a loan haha
I'd figure on a solid $3-3500k to get a b series vtec in the car, getting a good, reliable running motor/trans, wiring it correctly to have it run as smooth as it should.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd figure on a solid $3-3500k to get a b series vtec in the car, getting a good, reliable running motor/trans, wiring it correctly to have it run as smooth as it should.
Depends, I suppose. I found my JDM B18B, 95% complete, for $1100. I just needed axles, half shaft, and ECU. Of course, mine was just an LS. But still.

EDIT: I also needed the T bracket off an Si.

I think overall, after paying my buddy in food and beer, I spent a weekend of time and ~$1500 total.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends, I suppose. I found my JDM B18B, 95% complete, for $1100. I just needed axles, half shaft, and ECU. Of course, mine was just an LS. But still.
Always plan for more and always plan to replace maintenance items while the motor is out already.

Astnbllr

So say I got a b16a2 with the y2 tranny.

My car has a d16z6 in it. I assume I'll need motor mounts, and I probably need a new wiring harness anyway, along with various bushings and connectors and whatnot.

What about the axles and stuff? The car is still in decent shape. I could probably repair the engine it has. I'm just using this transmission problem as an excuse to upgrade, because I want to learn, and I want to make this car last forever. I've heard the b series engines and transmissions are second only to k series stuff in reliability. I want something that can handle a lot of miles. I travel a lot.

I'm going to go look around at the junkyards in my area and see what I can find.

Technical information will help inform my decision. Things like major differences between the d and b series motors (specifically the 16's for both) that will get in the way of my engine swap. Problems I may run into.

I'd like to be able to plan ahead. This isn't going to go well if I stumble blindly into it and end up wasting time and money on finding the right parts and procedures through trial and error alone.

Astnbllr

For instance, the rods that connect the stick to the transmission.
My car has a d-series transmission, the b series motor will have a b-series transmission. Will I be able to use the old rod thingies, or do I need to get new ones, of a specific length?

I've been told these cars are modular to an unreal, almost mystical extreme. That's why I wanted one. Having never taken a car apart to this extent before, I don't know exactly what to expect.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
The only thing you can use from your D onto the B would be harness, dizzy and ecu sometimes with little to no changes. Mounts, axles, shift rods are all diff.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The only thing you can use from your D onto the B would be harness, dizzy and ecu sometimes with little to no changes. Mounts, axles, shift rods are all diff.

B and D series mounts are the same for 92-95 civic. The mounting brackets are different, though. OP will need a rear t-bracket from an Integra.

Will also need:
90-01 Integra axles OR 99-00 Civic Si axles
90-01 Integra half-shaft OR 99-00 Civic Si half-shaft
94-01 Integra shift linkage OR 99-00 Civic Si shift linkage

I might have a half-shaft lying around. @Astnbllr I will check and if I do, just pay shipping on it if you want it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member