Climate control/blower starts only after a few minutes

gizmooo

Hi all,

The last six months my Honda Civic 2008 Sport is having problems with the climate control unit and blower. In about 50% of the engine starts, the blower is not automatically being turned on after ignition. In those cases, I cannot use the fan and temperature control dials, the mode button, the front and rear window defogger and the recirculation buttons. At the same time the power mirrors are not functioning and the outside temperature indicator only shows two dashes.

The main audio display, which is normally showing the inside temperature and heating mode, is completely blank. The audio system is not affected by this issue and is operating properly.

After a few minutes of driving, the climate control and blower are suddenly waking up and I can adjust all kind of heating and A/C features. During the rest of the ride I do not experience any problems, apart from the outside temperature indicator is still showing the two dashes.

The strange thing is that this issue is not reproducible, and even it’s behavior is not the same all the time. Sometimes the unit turns on automatically after 3 minutes of driving, sometimes even after 30 seconds. Even if I let the engine running stationary, the unit jumps on after a few minutes.

Even stranger is that sometimes the unit works normally when I turn the ignition into the ON position, but after pressing the startbutton the unit dies. The other way around happens as well. So after starting the engine the unit runs properly, while it was dead after turning the ignition to ON.

I have the feeling that this issue occurs more frequently in cold weather than in warm weather, although I experienced this problem during the whole of the summer as well.

The Honda reseller has not yet found the cause of the problem, but we have already ruled out a few things like the fuses, replacement battery, checking the mass points. The problem is now being examined by Honda Netherlands.

I hope one of you recognizes the problem I am experiencing or at least me can push me in the right direction. Thanks for your input.

Regards, Gary

gizmooo

A few checks at the garage has shown that a faulty fusebox is causing the issues. Replacing the fusebox should be the solution.