Climate Control

marcusldaniels

I just installed an new radio, 98 Honda civic, every thing works perfect with the radio but the climate control only blows from the front of the dash and when I push the floor board or the top of the dash to make it blow from there it doesnt switch to either. It does blow but does not allow me to switch from one to the other. the lights work on it also. Ive tried looking under neath to see if anything is turning or moving when I push the buttons and nothing happens. The button that makes it so fresh air circulates works, when I push it, the lever opens and closes when i push it again. Could it be a fuse or relay?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is the vent control modulator, located under the driver side dash on the right. Its possible you just forgot to reconnect the harness to it behind the climate control.

While we're on the subject, this is the cable that leads to the temp control. I bring it up because many people dont pay attention and pull this off while removing the console to install radios.

marcusldaniels

The cable thing is probably exactly what happened. I'll have to get back under there and check these two areas. Do you happen to know what that extra green plug that was connected to the factory radio is for? I unplugged it from the radio as well and theres nothing to plug it to, i just left it as is when I put the new radio in.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That extra plug is for the factory anti-theft control thats built into the radio.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@HeX, got to it before me. Just didn't want to go into a cold garage to go take photos haha.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I already knew the pics were posted online, but I forgive you ;)

Last edited:

marcusldaniels

This is the vent control modulator, located under the driver side dash on the right. Its possible you just forgot to reconnect the harness to it behind the climate control.

While we're on the subject, this is the cable that leads to the temp control. I bring it up because many people dont pay attention and pull this off while removing the console to install radios.
Thanks a million Hex, I never would have found what I was looking for. Every thing is in tact. The cable is hooked where its supposed to be and both plugs in the back of the unit and in the vent control modulator securely.

I see where the mechanism is supposed to move and make the vents change positions. Is there a fuse or relay for the modulator or will I have to replace the modulator??

Last edited by a moderator:

marcusldaniels

Im also trying to locate the spot in the firewall from the outside in to run an Amp wire through. Another video showed me in a 98 hatchback where its behind the battery. There is one spot where a grommet is right below the battery but its just a big wall behind it when I pulled it off. The green arrows show the grommet is and where on the inside of that fuse box is, there is a spot that connects straight to the positive side of the battery. Would that be an Ideal spot to but the Amp wire? Im going to pull the battery to see if in fact there is a spot behind or below it, may have to remove the battery tray. 20160115_144413.jpg

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks a million Hex, I never would have found what I was looking for. Every thing is in tact. The cable is hooked where its supposed to be and both plugs in the back of the unit and in the vent control modulator securely.

I see where the mechanism is supposed to move and make the vents change positions. Is there a fuse or relay for the modulator or will I have to replace the modulator??
There may be a fuse for it but Im honestly not sure. Before any of that, get under the dash where you have a clear sight of the modulator and hit the vent switches to see if it moves at all or at least makes a sound. If its neither, then start inspecting the fuses.

marcusldaniels

Hex, again, I appreciate all of your help with this. It was the vent control modulator, I went to a local salvage yard and found a 96 Honda Civic, same set up. Took the part off, brought it back and disconnected the plug from the one on the car and plugged it to the salvage yard part before taking it completely off and it turned when I pushed the buttons. I got it all changed out and it works perfectly, just have to be mindful of the position the button is in before you tack everything back down because I had it reversed. I also took the battery out and also removed the battery tray and just poked a large enough hole in the rubber grommet that is directly below the battery tray that already has a big wire running through it and ran my amp wire. Thanks again for the help.

Marcus.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm happy to have helped.