Cobl18's 98 Civic Ex Slow build thread

emerican

Registered VIP
All my friends run AEM parts on there civics with no problems sorry to hear it though man
If that gear is for the stock y8 motor pm me with a price

Cobl18

Registered VIP
ok will do once it come in

Cobl18

Registered VIP
So I really don't want a loan payment at 19 so I'm going to try and fix the Honda. I bought the tools to do a timing job. I got te harmonic balancer tool, a 36" 3/4 drive breaker bar, a 16" extension along with a 3 5 and 10 inch extension, and a 17mm socket to top it off. Hopefully I can put a new cam gear on it and it will run. As far as I know it has bent valves but I'll fire it up and see. If it has bet valves I'll get a 1000 dollar personnel loan and get a nice port and polished head and cometic head gasket and top it off with some ARP head studs. I'm applying for it tomorrow wish me luck haha! Btw is there anything I left out tool wise? I already have a torque wrench and all the other sockets I need and stuff.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
I'll know tomorrow afternoon for how much Im able to get. Anything 500 dollars plus would be nice since its going to take at least 450 worth of parts to get the job done. This weekend I'm getting a cam gear and hopefully my tools will come in too so I can start tearing it apart and seeing what's wrong. I'll start with the timing part of it and see if anythigs broke. Then I'll turn the engine over with a breaker bar and see if I meet any resistance or rough spots. I know this may sound stupid but how can you tell if the valves are bent with a visual inspection? Will they be noticibly bent or will I need some special tool. I have never replaced a head or even taken one off before. Btw I can't seem to find a stock can gear anywhere anyone got one laying around? If not I'll be stuck with the AEM one because none of the local junk yards have them.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
O one last update my mechanic called and said if it was anything he did when he installed the timing belt, tensioner, or cam gear he would fix my whole car for free. This guy is super great and I would recommend him to anybody, and on the plus side his daughter is super sexy haha! Maybe I'll date her and get sponsored by their shop ;)

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I say blame it on him then have him fix it and state you will help then get to talking more with the daughter win/win

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Hmm I'll mention it except I just bought 125 dollars worth of 3/4 inch drive tools to get the job done lol! I'm going to keep my old head and get it milled and port and polished and build it.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
New everything. Super tech valves first. Then skunk 2 springs, retainers, and a cam. Then super tech valve seals and bronze guides. I'll get it ported and polished maybe shaved down a bit. I got approved for a wopping 200 dollars because I have never taken out a loan and have no credit. O well 200 dollars is better than nothing =) waiting for the tools to come in so i can get the timing done and try and start her up and see if I need the new head or not.

emerican

Registered VIP
What stage and brand cam
I kinda tohught they might not give you any real money its hard to get anything loaned with no credit on the books thankfully i have built mine up pretty good even though im young

Cobl18

Registered VIP
Lucky! I drained my savings due to me getting 2 tickets I usually have 500 bucks in savings. I'm going with a stage 3 skunk 2 because I'm going all out. Since I'm going to replace everything in the head I know it can support the cam. What do you think?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I suggest going with bisimoto cam if have money for it. I bought my cam after magazine came in with specs but it's ok

emerican

Registered VIP
I wouldnt run stage 3 on a street driven dd car id stop at stage 2 if shes gonna be in the streets all the time, but its up to you man
I slowly built my credit up cause even though im young everything is in my name ive had my own house so ultities and all that good s**t where in my name and got paied every time. Also get a small credit card even if its a wal mart card charge a few hundred bucks on it then pay it off it will build your credit up some i did that too now my credit cards will give me crazy credit limits lol.