code P501 VSS issue. speedo not working. Dead horse?

steven7685

I have a 2000 Civic LX and I have a code P501 VSS issue with the CEL on. I can't smog my vehicle with the CEL on so it has to be fixed.

I have researched the issue and I cant seem to nail down the problem exactly. I have checked voltage on the 3 prong connector to the sensor and here are the readings

Black wire to Black/Yellow wire 12V
Black wire to Blue/White wire 0.7V

I have read that the voltage from the blue/white wire should read around 5V. So I assume the issue is from the Blue/White wire going from the cluster to the sensor may be damaged somewhere? I attempted to jump the connections from sensor terminal to cluster terminal with a long aligator clip test wire and the voltage seemed to go up to about .85V. but nowhere near the 5V reading I've read about.

I also came across a post that indicated that it could have something to do with the cruise control wiring? I did purchase a use CC unit from a salvage yard recently, could that be part of the issue?

I have installed an aftermarket VSS and no dice. If changing the Blue/White wire out is the answer, what is the easiest way to do that? I can see about 6 inches of the harness wire then it disappears behind the motor and its difficult to chase. Has anyone had this issue, and changed the wire with a successful outcome?

The car has been in my garage for over a year now while I was rebuilding the front end after a collision. I just want to get this car back on the road so I can stop commuting in my truck..

I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated. thanks