Coil Over/Springs???

VTECSOHC02

On The Raod To Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not You might think I'm dumb for this question but Mama told me to look dumb asking a smart question so here it is... What is the difference in coilovers ans just springs? Is the onlt thing the coilovers are adjustable??? Thanks!!!

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, technically your stock springs r "coilovers". u just basically asked this question: "what's the difference between adjustable springs and springs?". :thumbs up:

there are adjustable coilovers, and there are just plain drop/lowering springs. u can adjust the adjustables, but not the drop springs. :thumbup:

hope i helped a little! =)

VTECSOHC02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So if I purchase lets say Eiback proline spring that just it... just a flat out lower not adjustable? So who would you suggest for coilovers?

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eibach prolines r just lowering springs. go with ground controls for adjustables.. my :twocents: :thumbup:

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why do you choose ground controls? do you have experience with them yourself?

vtecsohc02 what do you want out of your suspension. are you going to do any autocrossing or track racing? coil over sleeves are not very necessary unless you do racing or if you live somewhere that snows.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "imazn"

why do you choose ground controls? do you have experience with them yourself?

vtecsohc02 what do you want out of your suspension. are you going to do any autocrossing or track racing? coil over sleeves are not very necessary unless you do racing or if you live somewhere that snows.
i hear lots good about them. and most people r in it just for looks anyways, which that looks to be the case with his car. i am no suspension pro by any means, r U?

i know that most people with show cars get adjustables if they have cars they drive everyday. they just slam their cars at shows. a lot of people dont care if what they put on their car is NECESSARY.... whatever looks good and feels good right? plus u can raise and lower your ride for whatever reason! :twocents:

VTECSOHC02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm after both performance and looks! More performance. I really have a car the performs great and looks good than a car than looks fast and good and can't perform!!!

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah but that's not as good as you think. you'll need to get an alignment everytime because your camber and maybe even your toe might be thrown off making it hard to drive and tires to wear out quicker.

im no suspension "pro" but i do know a lot by my research and by my experience with different setups and products. this is why i ask him what kind of a setup he's looking for so i can suggest to him something else if is suitable for his needs.

i personally suggest the groundcontrol and bilstein shocks to civicjoe8. he lives in new york and wanted the height adjustability in the winter when it snows. and since he doesnt do much racing those shocks should complement him very well since is self adjusting. Plus the groundcontrol have short springs which means a big higher spring rate which also goes great with these shocks.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

yeah but that's not as good as you think. you'll need to get an alignment everytime because your camber and maybe even your toe might be thrown off making it hard to drive and tires to wear out quicker.
yeh i know all that, but it's not like u r gonna feel like raising/ lowering it a LOT. i had my adjustables and got an alignment, rode that way for a year with no camber kits and no new shocks and i loved it. it handled well, even with such an extreme camber. i never raised or lowered it at all after the first time. it's just that with lowering springs, u dont know what yur height is gonna be. wherever your lowring springs bring it down to is where u r stuck, even if u doint like it. :? u can control your initial drop with the adjustables and never have to mess with it again once u get it where u want it.... if u dont want to.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
btw, what kinda setup do u suggest for a 1999 si? daily driver

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to me that's a waste if you never going to adjust your setup ever again. is just a waste to fork over 100 more bucks to get that initial "drop". just take a lot at other people's ride and see what kind of spring/shocks they're using. that'll give you a good idea on the drop of the setup.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

to me that's a waste if you never going to adjust your setup ever again. is just a waste to fork over 100 more bucks to get that initial "drop". just take a lot at other people's ride and see what kind of spring/shocks they're using. that'll give you a good idea on the drop of the setup.
but what if u want them for the initial drop, and maybe the occasional slam??? nevermind, why argue with the suspension expert... right? :mrgreen:

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if that's the case, then coilover sleeves are good. i know this might sound stupid, but air ride would be good too if you dont care much for performance. it would be really comfy too.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know.. i can care less for it honestly lol

VTECSOHC02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So for performance and the abilty to adjust to the drop that I like go with coilovers???

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if it helps, i have skunk2 coilovers, the nice thing about them is that i have the front dumped and the back is up pretty high, (you can even ask imazn he's seen my car in person) so i have the raked suspension or drag launch setup (however you prefer to call it), cant get that with just lowering springs. they do make a drag launch springs set up ... just not as noticable as mine is

however, the ride isnt the best, but it isnt the worst either.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mmm correct me if im wrong but dont you want the rear to be lower then the front in a drag race with a front wheel car because when you launch, the physics of the car transfers to rear of the car. on a rear wheel drive you want the front to be lower because the power goes to the front of the car.

i know for a fact that if you want better handling, you want the front to be lower then the rear. this gives you a little bit more oversteer.

honestly speaking if you really care less about the height adjustability then dont get coilovers. they're not as good as you think. you can have a lot of problems with it and the shorter springs give you a harsher ride which is also why they have rather high spring rate.

i personally dont know what you want to do with your car. if you can answer me what you have plan for the future and how much money you willing to spend, then maybe i can help you more.

VTECSOHC02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want my car to have a lower stance but not suffer on the performance side!!!

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "VTECSOHC02"

I want my car to have a lower stance but not suffer on the performance side!!!
I say get tiens if your getting springs and skunk2 if your getting coils.
I personaly have skunk2s on my car because i wanted to be able to ajust my hieght, but ive only done that once since ive had my car