Coil Overs.. or springs?

slimstajimsta5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey i was thinking about lowering my 92-95 civic, i'm only 15 and i dont know too much about honda/acuras but i'm trying to learn.. and which is better? springs or coilovers? and which brands are reliable? thanks

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
youre 15 and you allready have a car.....???

damn... i was 17 and still riding my bike or bumming rides off my friends....

anywho....

coilovers.... why??

-- adjustability... does it snow in virginia??? i does where i live so i can raise and lower it (if i ever get around to it)
whenever i want (im lazy~)

thats my 2 cents!! but what do i know??? ;-)

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since you a newbie to suspension (no offense) i would suggest getting something easy like springs. coilover might be a little too much for you since they have a rather high spring rate and needs maintainance and everything.

how low of a drop do you want? and what do you want out of your suspension and how much do you have to waste i mean spend?

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Noobs shouldnt get coil overs?

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What kind of driving do you do, or intend to do? Adjustable coilover springs allow you to adjust unevenness after installation ... sometimes lowering springs leave undesired gappage, so adjustables tend to take care of that. However, the ride will be a little rougher, but nothing I'd complain about.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get coilovers........ just because youre new to it doesnt mean you shouldnt do it right.........

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why do you suggest him getting coilovers? just cuz you have it?

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, because i understand that with springs he can only control weight transfer through spring rate..... with coilovers he can choose a spring rate to control weight transfer and then adjust the car's overall height to keep his center of gravity lower..................

the whole point of modifying your suspension is to get around corners quickly, isn't it? might as well allow yourself to control as many factors as possible.

ultimately he should be getting a fully-adjustable coilover suspension, but those are $$

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only know of groundcontrol to allow the user to specify a specific spring rate. since he's new i dont think he would know what is a good rate to choose. but how many times will someone adjust the car and spend the extra money to get it realigned since the camber and maybe even the toe might be screw up.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think that skunk2 and tein also allow you to choose..... or, at least, you can order custom spring rates.........

even if he never adjusts the coilovers, leaving them at a very low setting still gives the anti-roll advantage over springs alone

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any company that sells coilovers should be able to recommend a spring rate for what he is trying to accomplish and what his future goals are. Coilovers are superior to regular coil springs in that they allow adjustment of ride height and allow corner weighting among many other things. This gets a little advanced for this thread though.
Find out what you want to do with the car before you spend your money and you will be a lot happier. If you just want to drop it for looks go with springs, if you will later do any autocross or more suspension mods then go with the coilovers.

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
like imazn said.... what is the proper maintenance that you should preform on coilovers...???

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I relize this is an older thread but my question is:
are skunk2 coilovers any good?

VTECSOHC02

On The Raod To Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But when you do anything shouldn't you do it all at once. i.e. the struts and all?