Coilover sleeves vs full coilovers

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
I been reading alot about suspensions but it always comes down to what's the best setup for auto-x.

I'm looking for a 1.75"/2.25" drop on a dd that's never gonna see the track. I know the sleeves will get me the stance I want at a cheaper price then a full coilover. What's the disadvantages of running a sleeve over full coilover on a dd that drives a max of 20 miles a day?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
im not suspension wise at all but from what i know its not good to put coilover sleeves on stock shocks, you want to pair those sleeves with a good aftermaket shock. I combo i see a lot of people go by is the ground control coilover sleeves with koni yellow shocks.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ground control coilover sleeves with koni yellow shocks.
Very good setup. For a daily, it's probably not ideal, though if budget wasn't a concern, I would surely get them.

I personally like Function & Form Type I's. Are they high quality? I wouldn't say so considering the price alone (cheap for full coilovers). But if you're just looking for coilover's to lower your car and not be great performing, there's nothing wrong with Type I's. There are definitely better setup's out there.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I been reading alot about suspensions but it always comes down to what's the best setup for auto-x.

I'm looking for a 1.75"/2.25" drop on a dd that's never gonna see the track. I know the sleeves will get me the stance I want at a cheaper price then a full coilover. What's the disadvantages of running a sleeve over full coilover on a dd that drives a max of 20 miles a day?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
autox may be brought up a lot because the conditions found in autox are very similar to what's found out on the streets.

That aside, there really is no disadvantage to running a sleeve type coillover. However, the problems arise when people put sleeve coilovers on stock shocks or use spring rates on shocks that are not designed for them.

Your best option would be to pick up some Progress CS-2's for around $550-$600 shipped. Even just a Skunk2 sleeve coilover with the Skunk2 shocks is around $550 plus shipping. And those offer a pretty harsh ride. Anything else that's worth doing as far as sleeve's go is more than that (ie: Koni/GC, KYB/GC, Tokico/GC, Bilstein/GC..).

If your budget is less than $500, then you're pretty much limited to non-adjustable shock and spring setups. Unless you want to risk you car, money and time on junk eBay crap.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
The Progress CS-II would be the cheapest thing i would recommend to anyone for an adjustable setup. Outstanding service and quality for the price.

The 350/250 setup would be more than adequate for your desired ride height and would still be very comfortable on the street.

Also, I'm going to be picky here and say that all civic suspensions are coilovers. There is a difference between a height-adjustable coilover and a non-height-adjustable coilover. If the coil goes over the shock it is a coil-over.

Feel free to read through the thread in my signature. I've been reading on honda forums and have had first hand experience with several tein products, Progress, and GC.

It's a subjective thread but I hope you find it valuable as many on the multiple forums I've posted it on often agree that it's a good basic guide to good suspension for civics/integras.