Cold Air Intake Question

Nexus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've talked to people and some say that i should install the cold air and some say i shouldnt......One person i know said that if you drive in the rain it could kill the engine :evil: ....But just like that i hear something else :shock: :shock: ...I hear you can get a bypass thingy installed! :lol: ...but then agian i hear even with that bypass installed you can mess up your engine bad :cry: ...what do you guys think...is the bypass worth the extra money? and has anyone had exp. with water getting into the Intake System? is the bypass atleast 85% accurate?

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when its winter(or the rainy season)...you should take off the cold air part and just roll with the short ram, then toss the cold air back on when the weather gets hotter.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There shouldn't be any water getting in through the cold air intake. My cold cold air put the filter in the fenderwell. I never had a problem.
As long as you don't spray the filter with water or drive with no hood in the rain, you really shouldn't have a problem.
Disclaimer - I live in AZ and never ever get rain so do this at your own risk :wink:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

when its winter(or the rainy season)...you should take off the cold air part and just roll with the short ram, then toss the cold air back on when the weather gets hotter.
Whats the difference between short ram and cold air?

Nexus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You guys say it can't be done but I WILL get my civic to do a LOW! 15 All motor AND ...Yes i say "AND" keep my warrenty :roll: this intake will be the first step into the wonderfull world of aftermarket =)

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
some cold-air intakes for the civic come in 2 pieces

the right piece alone can act as a short ram, just slap the filter on the end. with the second part on, you got yourself a cold air intake. yeah, its really different in the mustang

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "Rice4Brains"

some cold-air intakes for the civic come in 2 pieces
the right piece alone can act as a short ram, just slap the filter on the end. with the second part on, you got yourself a cold air intake. yeah, its really different in the mustang
Not as much as you would think.
Cold air for mustangs also come in 2 pieces. We could put the filter on the end of the first one (after it connects to the mass air meter). The only problem with that is that the mass air meter is usually calibrated for the longer piping and the bend into the fenderwell.