College Dilemma, What would CC do?

What to do?

• Total voters

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not sure on what program you're in, but that will only get you so far.

I breezed by in high school and my first two years in college. After that though, it took me a bit to get used to truly studying and remembering. When you start building on everything you were supposed to learn the first two years it gets a bit tough. Just getting by isn't always enough. I spent a decent amount of time having to go back and look stuff up, because i hadn't really studied enough. I knew enough to get me through the tests and pull A's and B's, but that doesn't mean s**t if you didn't actually learn anything.

I was a mechanical engineer, so maybe my experience was a bit different.
So what did you end up getting your degree in? Do you currently work in that field?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I feel as though I like the CAD part of the program rather than all the math/physics/structural part of it. And also over the next two years I am only going to be taking 1 CAD class. So over a total of 4 years I will only have taken 3 drawing classes, which I don't think is right. When we went to a design firm to talk to some people they highly recommended taking as many drawing/cad classes as you can.
That is what engineers are for.

From my understanding:
You'll be working with structural and mechanical engineers for most of the math/physics/structural side of the design. You'll of course need a basic understanding for any actual design work, but the serious math side will be done by engineers.

Again, not sure how it works for architecture, but in my engineering program i had to take technical electives. There were a ton of them divided into groups. You could specialize your classes to fit what interested you the most, like fluid mechanics, materials, stress analysis and failure prevention, thermodynamics, systems and controls, etc. I'm sure there has to be something like this. Allowing you to take more cad, drafting, or design courses.
You can learn quite a bit about cad/cam programs in one semester too. Once you learn what you're doing all it really takes is some practice to get truly good at it. You can easily do that on your own. Most programs i've used are pretty similar and it doesn't take long to move from one to the other.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So what did you end up getting your degree in? Do you currently work in that field?
I got my degree in mechanical engineering. I sort of work in the engineering field, but not as much as i'd like.

I work at an Aerospace machine shop doing setup for our cnc milling machines. I also inspect first run parts prior to full production runs. I'm just now getting started doing the major programming for the machines and each part operation.

I don't really use my degree to it's fullest. I was really hoping to get into design work. I just loved doing that kind of stuff in school and i really enjoyed the turbomachinery side of it all. Now i see blueprints for parts on a daily basis and i wish i was doing the actual designing, instead of making those parts.

I can't complain too much though. I make a great living with some amazing benefits (probably more than what i would if i was doing design work for a larger company). But i sometimes still wish i hadn't taken the job i'm in now.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^^What you stated is exactly like what I would like to do. Maybe take more classes in the design part of it, maybe instead of the structural part (that's what structural engineers are for, right?). But it seems that the program is set in stone with no way of switching things around. It seems like everyday that goes by the more I am leaning toward the CAD program. What I don't want to happen is to start the Bachelors program, go 3 months into it and fail a bunch of classes. I would rather start in the CAD program knowing I can do really good in it.

fliposopher

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey dude, as far as i know, architects have it rough. it takes a while to become a registered architect and in the end, the pay isn't spectacular (unless you become an associate or principal of a successful firm) i believe it's always a plus if you get a full 4 year degree, and if you want, you could always continue to graduate school. that will open greater opportunities for you, and will help you earn the big bucks. question is, how willing are you to continue all that schooling.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know that in NYS you have to have 10 years of combined school and apprenticeships and then pass the exam (total of like 9 hours) to be licensed. If I do the CAD program I can get a bachelors degree in Technology Management with only 1 extra year of school. Hmmm maybe that's what I'll do.

fliposopher

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know that in NYS you have to have 10 years of combined school and apprenticeships and then pass the exam (total of like 9 hours) to be licensed. If I do the CAD program I can get a bachelors degree in Technology Management with only 1 extra year of school. Hmmm maybe that's what I'll do.
yea it's really up to you. i think it's a good idea to keep your mind open to different options. it's very normal for people to change their career paths a couple times before they turn 30. you just have to keep in mind what you would be content on doing for the major chunk of your life. if anything, you could try getting some kind of internship in an architect's firm. there are plenty here in NYC. My job coordinates with architects all the damn time.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
UPDATE: Well I went through my first week of classes and living here at the college. Living in the suite is awesome but classes really blow. I already failed 2 Calc 1 quizzes. The math lab also doesn't open up for another 3 weeks which is complete BS. I called my parents and told them all the struggles I will be having this semester and decided to change my major. It was between Landscape Design and Drafting/CAD....I was all ready to sign up for the landscape design program when I found another major that I will actually earn my Bachelors in. I just signed up for Technology Management, and start some new classes tomorrow. I really can't wait because the program let's you mold how you're own schedule and take classes you actually ant to take. And the best part is I may be done in 1.5 years instead of another two. So I could technically have my BS degree in 3.5 years which is awesome. Just wanted to say thanks to all the people that supplied alot of useful advice in this thread, it really made me think twice about my future.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A fairy tale ending

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dude you've stuck it out this long, why not go for it all the way.. so you have to take some "hard" classes study, get a tutor, and don't drink on week nights...

and FYI calc 1,2,and 3 where in the first year at my school.. your lucky.. Electrical Engineering ( will kill me sooner or later)

and if you already have an architectural back ground why not go for an architectural engineering degree? more monnies!!!

but if your doing what makes you happy then go for it

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, what is arch tech? because if its like eng. tech. then that means you aren't a real eng. and that you wont get hired for eng. jobs. If you can't pass the Calc classes, then i don't see why you should be an architect, so you better study

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
dude you've stuck it out this long, why not go for it all the way.. so you have to take some "hard" classes study, get a tutor, and don't drink on week nights...

and FYI calc 1,2,and 3 where in the first year at my school.. your lucky.. Electrical Engineering ( will kill me sooner or later)

and if you already have an architectural back ground why not go for an architectural engineering degree? more monnies!!!

but if your doing what makes you happy then go for it
Well the architecture program just didn't interest me anymore, and when that happens it's really hard to stay focused. Plus to become a licensed architect in the state of NY is super hard, basically 10 years of combined school/apprenticeship before you can even take the exam. Then the exam is something like 9 hours long and costs $500+ each time you take it. So the way I look at it you will be around 32 before you start making decent money IF you even pass the exam. Also the Technology Management major is for any student who completes a two year A.A.S degree, which they then transfer into this program. So I already have my A.A.S. degree soit made perfect sense for me. You can also do a internship your senior year which is always good. Here's a link to the page with info:

http://www.alfredstate.edu/academics/programs/technology-management

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I knew someone was going to say that. I know college is going to be hard, but I just can't see myself going through two years of hell trying t cram for these classes. especially when 3 of my best friends are in a suite together.
two years of hell > a lifetime of blue-collar work.

/thread.