College Dilemma, What would CC do?

What to do?

• Total voters

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Here's my situation, I just completed my Associates degree in Architectural Drafting/Design in May at my local community college. I already got accepted to a 4 year school so I can complete the second 2 years and receive my Bachelors in Architectural Technology. Problem is that they just redid their program and added some damm hard courses.
Such as:
Calc 1
Calc 2
Calc 3
Chemistry
Architecturl History

I BARELY passed pre-calc so going upto Calc 3 looks near impossible to me. I'm considering switching my degree to Cad/Drafting and get an associates in that. Only thing is my parents really want me to get a bachelors degree. What would you guys do in my situation?

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I knew someone was going to say that. I know college is going to be hard, but I just can't see myself going through two years of hell trying t cram for these classes. especially when 3 of my best friends are in a suite together.

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't think I was going to get through some of my classes either. There is PLENTY of help out there. get a hot tutor or something.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I knew someone was going to say that. I know college is going to be hard, but I just can't see myself going through two years of hell trying t cram for these classes. especially when 3 of my best friends are in a suite together.
You're there to learn not hang out. College is work.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
stay in you current program. it'll be worth it

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just put your mind to it man. i drifted from engineering to film because i didn't want to even attempt calc in college (took it in hs... not so great teacher)... but 3 years later i'm thinking, hey, i could've made it if i really wanted to.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aww, love hitting the cross roads in life. Have been there multiple times and wonder what life would be like if I just chose the other path...

My advice: (Coming from a 24 year old; not much older than you).
Ride it out man, A Bachelor's is much more valuable than an Assoc. Take some tutoring and do the extras. Hell, instead of downloading all your lovely music,etc.. on torrent sites. Why not some calculus training material??=)

You will be a much stronger, confident, and accomplished young man finishing off your degree than you would if you just give up now.

It is your life and you have the right to do whatever you feel fits you best. From someone who actually cares enough to give you sound advice and not push you in the wrong direction, I SAY GO FOR THE BACHELOR'S!. I ALSO VOTED IN THE POLL FOR IT!

Good Luck:cool:

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I've gone through my entire life without studying for s**t and am still some how getting by...I'll be a sophmore in college next semester. If I can do it, you sure as hell can.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I went with #1.

Bachelors is much more valuable over an Associates. It's worth it in the long run. If you really don't see yourself being able to study with your friends being suitemates, move out or tell them what's up when necessary. It's college. Yeah, it's the time of your life, but you're there to study, not waste money and hang out. Unfortunately, it's taken me almost 3 years and $30,000 in loans to finally realize that. I got kicked out of my first college after 3 semesters, did shitty on a semester at a local community college (0.5gpa or somewhere along there), and now I finally got a 3.65 this past semester and I'm on the right track. I thought I was never gonna find my way with school but I did after a lot of hard work.

Just study hard and you'll make it.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The was I see it is that i barely passed pre-calc, I got like a D+. That was studying like crazy too, also math ahs NEVER been my best subject. I really can't see myself going all the way upto Calc 3, it will seriously take a miracle for that to happen. Also I don't intend on being an architect, it will take almost 6 more years after I receive my bachelors. I kinda plan on either staying semi-local or moving down to Maryland and joing the fire deptartment as a career staff. Then on my off days maybe try and get a job at a small design firm part-time.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
chem is easy, but just go for it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you don't intend to use your degree, then there's no reason to finish it.

However, if it's the job you want, you need to stick with it. It doesn't matter if you barely passed pre-calc. You can pass the next classes. You just need to learn proper study habits and pick up a tutor. If you want the degree, you can do it.

If you don't, you probably shouldn't have started it to begin with.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I feel as though I like the CAD part of the program rather than all the math/physics/structural part of it. And also over the next two years I am only going to be taking 1 CAD class. So over a total of 4 years I will only have taken 3 drawing classes, which I don't think is right. When we went to a design firm to talk to some people they highly recommended taking as many drawing/cad classes as you can.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah that doesn't sound right at all then... But whatever major you pick, you're going to run into classes that you don't like. I bet anyone could say the same thing. It's going to be a struggle either way.

But go for the degree that leads you to the job you want and just stick through it. It'll be worth it in the long run.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's my situation, I just completed my Associates degree in Architectural Drafting/Design in May at my local community college. I already got accepted to a 4 year school so I can complete the second 2 years and receive my Bachelors in Architectural Technology. Problem is that they just redid their program and added some damm hard courses.
Such as:
Calc 1
Calc 2
Calc 3
Chemistry
Architecturl History

I BARELY passed pre-calc so going upto Calc 3 looks near impossible to me. I'm considering switching my degree to Cad/Drafting and get an associates in that. Only thing is my parents really want me to get a bachelors degree. What would you guys do in my situation?
Haven't read any of the previous posts yet, but what exactly is architectural technology? It sounds like somewhere between draftsman and architect. Why not just go for architecture?

Dropping and going for cad/draftsman sounds like a horrendous idea to me. There are tons of people who can do that job and it is easily outsourced. If you truly have an interest or desire in architecture, you're just going to hate yourself when you're working with all those designs and all you can do is take their drawings and input them into a cad program. Trust me.

There are tons (seriously!) of resources at your university to help you get through those courses. All you need to do is use them, and find someone in the class to help you study.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've gone through my entire life without studying for s**t and am still some how getting by...I'll be a sophmore in college next semester. If I can do it, you sure as hell can.
Not sure on what program you're in, but that will only get you so far.

I breezed by in high school and my first two years in college. After that though, it took me a bit to get used to truly studying and remembering. When you start building on everything you were supposed to learn the first two years it gets a bit tough. Just getting by isn't always enough. I spent a decent amount of time having to go back and look stuff up, because i hadn't really studied enough. I knew enough to get me through the tests and pull A's and B's, but that doesn't mean s**t if you didn't actually learn anything.

I was a mechanical engineer, so maybe my experience was a bit different.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Architectural Technology is basically the last 2 years of the Architecture program. You can then either go to work or continue for your masters. Then after your masters you can start an apprentice program and after a total of 10 years and passing the Architect exam you are licensed. I really can't picture myself doing that anytime soon. I'm considering entering into the CAD program, my friend is in it now at the same college and absolutely loves it. I don't want to go to all my classes dreading them, instead I want to be eager to go to them, which I know I will going into the CAD program. I like the Architecture program but i don't REALLY like it.