Complete noob :/

vtecular

What's up guys? I just joined this whole Civic scene about 2 days ago, and I'm pretty effing stoked. For starters, this is kinda what I'm looking for in my Civic (2002 Honda Civic EX - 1.7L SOHC VTEC):

Please don't be too harsh on me, I don't really know brands yet haha

- AEM Short Ram Air Intake
- Perhaps a HKS Exhaust? I want an exhaust that has a deep sound to it, not too loud.
- I want to smooth out the ride as much as possible, and I heard that Tokiko is a really good brand for shocks and springs.
- I have NO idea what size my rims are on my stock tires, so if someone can let me know the exact measurement, that'd be great haha. I know I want Enkei EDR9's though.

Someone please help a brotha out and let me know your opinions and thoughts about all this! =)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome to CC.

Search the site and google for ideas and good deals.

Watch out for shitty knockoff parts also!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
short or cold air intakes do nothing as far as performance so keep your money or get the cheapest ebay kit you can find and swap in a AEM filter.if you want deep tone exhaust stay away from canister style mufflers get oval shaped like vibrant street or apexi WS2 if you can afford it.

vtecular

short or cold air intakes do nothing as far as performance so keep your money or get the cheapest ebay kit you can find and swap in a AEM filter.if you want deep tone exhaust stay away from canister style mufflers get oval shaped like vibrant street or apexi WS2 if you can afford it.
So why won't a short air intake not do much as far as performance? Is it because the engine just wasn't built for that kind of modification to work well? I guess if it doesn't work, should I just not replace the intake at all?

Also, are there any SPECIFIC brands and types of exhausts I should be looking at?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the engine just doesn't respond to bolt ons like intake,header,exhaust but an intake will look and sound better also easier to maintain filters since AEM is a lifetime ffilter. exhaust ??? just stay away from ebay and coffee can mufflers like i said before apexi,vibrant,HKS,JIC,tanabe are good exhaust.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I bought a Power 1000 intake for my civic. It looks really cool. The intake sounds nice and deep when I floor the gas, even though I still have stock exhuast. It has a resonator built on to the pipe and a spiral filter that they say you get a 5hp increase from, but lowlife is convinced that bolt-ons do not add any performance on the v-tec e engines. I disagree with this view. I believe the bolt-ons do improve performance just not as much as most people would expect and you will not get much of a Horsepower increase. What you will get is a quicker throttle response and better gas mileage. Which in my opinion is better performance. I can vouch for the fact that I do not have the press the accelerator as much to get the same acceleration as I did before and it sounds decently deep inside the vehicle when I push the pedal to the floor mat.

But I liked this option because I may have wasted my 90 bucks on this intake on ebay, twice as much as a cheap one, but also it has a sticker, looks and sounds good, and it gave me a unique intake. I have not seen this intake on anyone else car and I get a lot of questions and comments about it. It retails on their site for about 300 I got it on ebay for about a 100 after shipping.

I also would suggest energy suspension control arm bushings, the black ones not the red, the red are noisy.
Get your ball joints and struts done when you put on the bushings and suspension will be smooth. Change motor mounts, all four of them. You can get energy suspension bushings for the front and rear mounts, but be cautious because they do not fit one of the aftermarket front or rear mounts. I had to cut mine to fit one and it was a BlTCH, took like 4 hours of cutting with a gerber brand knife(really sharp) and the vibration from my engine was pretty bad at an idle.

I have been trying to get a Xtune cat-back for my cah(not the spyder one), because it is reasonably priced about $150-175 and it is hi polished and does not look like a tin can ebay cat-back, but it has been on back order for 2-3 months from japan at every site that carries the cat-back.

I got a 4-1 header for 75 bucks but have yet to put it on, you can get a dc 4-2-1 header but its like 3 to 4 hundred dollars and won't give you much more performance than the 4-1 header unless you put a turbo or something with a major hp increase on your cah. Get a high performance cat on a down pipe, got mine for like 55 bucks, make sure it says cat on the description not just a test pipe made to look like a cat or you will have check engine light and will not pass emissions. Its hard to find a decently priced real cat on a down pipe. If you have lx/dx(cat on exhaust manifold) switch to ex style exhaust system(cat on down pipe).

I bought a XTD stage 2 clutch kit, I was told stage 2 clutch is as high as you would want to go for a daily driver, I have yet to do my engine swap though so that is not installed.

I want to get a stage 1 cam. I was told stage 1 cam is as high as you would want to go for a daily driver.

This should save you a lot of time and searching as it took me about 2-3 months of searching to learn these things!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol you gained performance from an ebay intake alone nothing else you must be crazy. with intake,header,exhaust your lucky to gain 8 hp which is not enough to even notice while driving and MPG is not a performance upgrade.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
lol you gained performance from an ebay intake alone nothing else you must be crazy. with intake,header,exhaust your lucky to gain 8 hp which is not enough to even notice while driving and MPG is not a performance upgrade.
especially a d-series

OP-for the record you are looking to buy the worst possible platform for performance modifications, find a 99-00 Si for almost the same price, you'll be so much happier down the road.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I said I got it on ebay, try using the two eyes God gave you, the brain you should have, a little time, some consideration, and some logic. Then maybe you wont have too down people all the time to make yourself feel like you did not waste your money on a brand name.

8 hp not enough to notice, really? When you start with 127 hp and add 8 hp you get a 15.875% increase in hp. I do not know about anybody else but I am able to notice a 15.9% increase in power, especially when you compare your performance to your friends ride on a highway doing over 100 mph.

Efficiency is a one word definition used by meriam-webster in definition 4a. So you are telling me and everyone on CC that using the throttle less to get the same acceleration is not more efficient.

Or I guess by your reasoning meriam-webster must be going crazy also.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I said I got it on ebay, try using the two eyes God gave you, the brain you should have, a little time, some consideration, and some logic. Then maybe you wont have too down people all the time to make yourself feel like you did not waste your money on a brand name.

8 hp not enough to notice, really? When you start with 127 hp and add 8 hp you get a 15.875% increase in hp. I do not know about anybody else but I am able to notice a 15.9% increase in power, especially when you compare your performance to your friends ride on a highway doing over 100 mph.

Definition of PERFORMANCE
a : the execution of an action
b : something accomplished : deed, feat
: the fulfillment of a claim, promise, or request : implementation
a : the action of representing a character in a play
b : a public presentation or exhibition <a benefit performance>
a : the ability to perform : efficiency
b : the manner in which a mechanism performs <engine performance>
: the manner of reacting to stimuli : behavior
: the linguistic behavior of an individual : parole; also : the ability to speak a certain language — compare competence 3
See performance defined for English-language learners »
See performance defined for kids »

Above is meriam-webster's definition of performance. I would imagine in this case we would be referring to definitions 4a and 4b. Efficiency is a one word definition used by meriam-webster in 4a. So you are telling me and everyone on CC that using the gas less to get the same acceleration is not more efficient.

Or I guess by your reasoning meriam-webster must be crazy also.
:ban:

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
somebody forgot to take there medication ok buddy you keep telling yourself you gained performance with your ebay intake whatever helps your delusion but don't spread false information around here especially to people enquiring about intakes on D17s ok your 29 years old act like it.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
Whatever makes you sleep at night. I did not put anything false in any post I have put on this site, like I posted earlier, try using your eyes to read. If I was mistaken I posted a response to clarify or correct it. I never said the 7th gen was a performance beast, I am just trying to share what I have learned with a newb. You can ban me if you want I really do not care. The quality of help I have gotten on this site would not even be considered fair as compared to a couple of civic sites I have found.

And just for your info lowlife I have two medicated family members, so when you say I must be going crazy or you down me on any post that you do not like, I take those things very offensively. I have done nothing but try to help people that are not loaded with cash to spend on brand names and ever so often you feel the need to put me down. And act my age, I do not know what age you stood up for yourself but I do not take kindly to people trying to down me for any ignorant reason.

And tokyo skies umm ban me for what putting a long unrelated post, I was responding to a post. You just copied it and made it twice as long, it was the post right before yours. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of it! I will even shorten the unnecessary points of mine to make you and everyone else happy =). There I fixed mine now it is your turn =).

But yet it is I that should be banned! Do what you want, I was just trying to help a newb.

"Share the Knowledge"; "You think you're smart 'cuz you know words"; "I'm waiting . . ."

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i said you must be crazy as a figure of speech not literally but then you went on some nutty rant that led me to believe you actually had a screw loose. take a chill pill calm down and don't take things so literally.the 7th gen has been around for eleven years now you don't think people already know what an intake does for it its been well documented that it does absolutely nothing except make more noise.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OP if your gonna go for performance then you'll need to engine swap it or boost it and they come with macpherson struts which isn't as good as double wishbone suspension. If you wanna save up the cash for a turbo kit or k20 then go for it, but like mymmeryloss said you'll have more fun with a 5th or 6th gen considering the cost of modding is less and the aftermarket support is more.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
speed is not the only upgrade that produces better performance handling and grip are just as if not more important the 7th gen may not be fast but you can make it ride on rails with the rite upgrades.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You do gain performance from something as small as just an intake....even just a better filter than the OEM one yields a gain.

Peak power is not the only place to judge the worth of a gain.

The only debatable topic is how much or how little of a gain you get anywhere in the power band for the amount of money spent.

Saying an intake or something small like that doesn't increase engine performance would only be valid with a stock dyno, and a repeat dyno afterwards with absolutely no gain anywhere in power or torque.

Just keep it real with people so we don't have misguided people running around. Because it's annoying when someone takes the it doesn't do anything for power" line and apply it to large displacement engines as well because all they know is what some guy/girl on the internet said with people agreeing to what was stated.

Giving solid info will help people understand that $2000 in d series bolt ons is totally out of it's league against $2000 in d series boost. So there's no point in exaggerating the lower output

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I would hate to text with this guy. I could one imagine reading pages at a time.... 29 and you can't hold in, just a little bit. Yes it's false information that a Sri is a major performance gain, but he does have an opinion and we shouldn't take that away. The dictionary s**t was too far bro.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You do gain performance from something as small as just an intake....even just a better filter than the OEM one yields a gain.

Peak power is not the only place to judge the worth of a gain.

The only debatable topic is how much or how little of a gain you get anywhere in the power band for the amount of money spent.

Saying an intake or something small like that doesn't increase engine performance would only be valid with a stock dyno, and a repeat dyno afterwards with absolutely no gain anywhere in power or torque.

Just keep it real with people so we don't have misguided people running around. Because it's annoying when someone takes the it doesn't do anything for power" line and apply it to large displacement engines as well because all they know is what some guy/girl on the internet said with people agreeing to what was stated.

like i said sri on a D17A1 or A2 has no noticeable gains i don't know why you mention large displacemeant engines that has nothing to do with this ???.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like i said sri on a D17A1 or A2 has no noticeable gains i don't know why you mention large displacemeant engines that has nothing to do with this ???.
i mentioned that because some people take the info you gave out and apply it to other engines and sound like complete morons.
a SRI on a D series may not have very "noticeable gains" but it still has a gain, period. So refrain from teaching people "short or cold air intakes do nothing as far as performance" and instead explain how little or how much it does on what engines and why. Then we won't have people running around not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
thank you child!!! sri??? do not hate, because I do not know. I am just trying to spread some knowledge and learn something.

My father and sister have both been in a home and I love both of them very much and would hurt anyone who would try to harm them, so maybe you should watch what you say or type people. I just told you I have some mentally unstable family members and you intentionally offend me three more times. I guarantee If you had a medicated family member all of these things would also make you cringe.

i said you must be crazy as a figure of speech not literally (but then you went on some nutty rant)(OFFENSIVE)( that led me to believe you actually had a screw loose)(OFFENSIVE).( take a chill pill)(OFFENSIVE) calm down and don't take things so literally.the 7th gen has been around for eleven years now you don't think people already know what an intake does for it its been well documented that it does absolutely nothing except make more noise.
Lawyers use as many pages as they need to convince a jury that someone is guilty or innocent. All I did was defend myself with an attitude. Do not push my buttons I will not write a paper about it! By the way the dictionary SHlT is gone now.