compression test for nitrous..

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive considered spraying for a long time but never done it.. I finally have the spare money so im looking into it. I already have a full upgraded fuel system and colder plugs, and today i performed my compression test. The motor wasnt fully up to operating temp as it had been sitting for a little while, but it was still reasonably warm and i thought it would be fine.. here are my results..

140 125 130 140

Am I safe to run nitrous??? This is my first time performing a compression test, so i dont know it all, but the 2 lower numbers in the middle suggest to me a bad head gasket, however, my oil is perfectly clean, and my coolant looks good as well.. Also, i couldnt find the manufacturer compression specs in my haynes manual, does anyone know the numbers for a d16a6??

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
update:

ran a wet test on the 2 lower cylinders that upped compression to 140 across the board.. so this means bad rings correct??? Just how bad is that?? Too bad for my spray?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Normal: 156psi
Min:128psi
max 28psi variation between cylinders

cant beat my ZCs 215psi each cylinder

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
Normal: 156psi
Min:128psi
max 28psi variation between cylinders

cant beat my ZCs 215psi each cylinder
alright green thanks.
Well, i appear to be right about within spec, but is it good enough for nitrous?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know this sounds negative but there is ONE question that requires an answer prior to ANY serious power adder (nitrous turbo etc...)

and that question is..

if it blows the motor can you afford that..

ive been lucky.. over a thousand lbs of nitrous.. over 5 years of spraying.. no issue.. but that does not mean your motor cant blow the first pass.. a good fuel system.. high octane fuel.. colder plugs.. will all help.. go with a small shot to start.. but ONLY go that next step if you can afford to pick up the pieces..

i dont have the normal compression specs in hand but based on whats posted it sounds fine?

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
i know this sounds negative but there is ONE question that requires an answer prior to ANY serious power adder (nitrous turbo etc...)

and that question is..

if it blows the motor can you afford that..

ive been lucky.. over a thousand lbs of nitrous.. over 5 years of spraying.. no issue.. but that does not mean your motor cant blow the first pass.. a good fuel system.. high octane fuel.. colder plugs.. will all help.. go with a small shot to start.. but ONLY go that next step if you can afford to pick up the pieces..

i dont have the normal compression specs in hand but based on whats posted it sounds fine?
s**t.. good response.. but i dont know if i like the answer.. I mean i have 500 bucks here eating a hole in my pocket and i want to get something for my car, and i thought nitrous would be a good way to go. But im not ready to go out for a new block right now. I guess ill just have to think of something else.. Thanks oc.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mini me can be done for under $500

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats true, and ive thought about it... but with my head that i have on there, a stock mini-me will only be slower then what i have.