Computer help : Desktop Malfunctioning...

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My compaq S3100NX(i know i know, prebuilt sucks yadda yadda) has been acting funny today. The CPU stays at 100% usage and the computer gets really laggy. I sometimes can't even boot into windows! I tried booting into Safe Mode but it just freezes. I believe I have a virus... I use Norton Anti-Virus(which does jackshit btw).. any ideas on how to fix this? I'm really not wanting to format because of... well.. thousands of music, photos and videos I have yet to backup. Please... my desktop is my baby... I hate to see it hurt.

Oh yeah, the last thing I downloaded was a folder of this guys car... it was from easyalbum.org... I really hope that wasn't the taker.

Also, it's name is like Lucom or something? It's in the norton folder, sadly norton wont delete it or stop it. Do you think McAfee would?

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you have another Hard drive you can boot from? If you do you can run your drive that you have now as a slave and find the problem and eliminate it that way.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i assume that everything was functioning properly yesterday and youre running windows xp. the very first think i would try is system restore if so.

Start > All Program > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Pick a date that you know youre computer was running properly on.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My desktop doesn't boot into windows anymore. I tried System restore but it froze. How do i know? it was still at the same spot after i had a four hour nap. So I guess it's a complete loss now. If I get a new desktop do you think the old harddrive is salvageable for some of the stuff?

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
installing Norton was your first problem.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know.

I'm so confused as to what HD to get. I know I have IDE styled connectors but I dont know what ATA/100, ATA/133 and all of that means. Someone care to elaborate for me!?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was never aware Norton causes problems. I've used Norton and only Norton on all the past computers my family has owned and not a single problem with any (other than regular Windows problems). I never scan with Norton, I just let it catch the bad stuff.

I scan with Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, and if it gets REALLY bad, kaspersky.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOrton and mcaffee are both Crap in my opinion. I'm trying Kaspersky I'm liking it so far.