Considering Buying, Need Advice

itshazel

Hi all,
So I’m looking to buy a late ‘90s Civic to make into a tuner car. I eventually have a build planned out for it, but finding cars like this stock is way harder than it has been previously.
Someone in my city is selling a 97 LX, but it’s got an engine swap. It’s got a D16Z6 with a stick in it with about 170k miles. However, they said that they never swapped the P2E ECU for the P28, and I was wondering how expensive and time consuming it would be? They’re selling it for 1200$ and they say that it runs fine.
This would be my first manual, and I’d build it out over its lifespan, including boosting it eventually (with an engine rebuild ofc). Body isn’t an issue for me since I’d be adding a body kit and other stuff.
tldr: How expensive and difficult is a p2e to p28 conversion, and is a 1200$ 97 civic with 170k worth it after this?

96_Hatch

One thing to consider, you'll never pass smog, so you'll be paying out the a$$ to get it "smogged".

96_Hatch

Engine swap. Sticker says it has one model motor, but you actually have a different model motor.

itshazel

Engine swap. Sticker says it has one model motor, but you actually have a different model motor.
i mean, in colorado at least, were allowed to do engine swaps as long as its the same year or newer. is there any way to resolve those issues to your knowledge?

96_Hatch

You know what, I retract my comment. I live in CA, and forgot other states aren't run by emission Nazis. I would still confirm the local ordinance first just in case.