Cooling system issues...

evanrae

Can someone please help- I'm Mechanically Challenged. I have a 2003 civic with 138k miles. LOVE my Civic! June 2010 had timing belt changed. Mechanic said it was a good time to change water pump without adding more labor charges - great! Had both done. Within 2 weeks had coolant leak on garage floor. Took it back to mechanic; he couldn't find anything. We asked him to check the waterpump and timing belt area that he installed as we had absolutely no problems with the car until he worked on it. Took car back more than 5 times w/ coolant leaks; coolant would blow out the overflow and you can smell burnt antifreeze sitting inside the car, still mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. He would add coolant, ask me if the gauge on dash would get any higher than usual and send me on my way. Then, intermittently, the heater would only blow hot air if I pressed on the gas but as soon as I had to hit the brake, the vent would only blow ice cold air until I pushed on the gas; the gauge on the dash would not go any further than normal (less that half way). Took back to the mechanic - low on coolant and still can't find anything leaking. He added coolant and sent me on my way. Finally in December he saw leaking coming from the weep hole on the waterpump he installed. The drainage coming from the weep hole was about 2" long. He changed the pump, refilled coolant and said I was good to go - Great Finally Fixed! took a trip (3 hour drive one way) hit the brakes and got cold air. Immediately called the mechanic. He said to add coolant and let him know how much coolant was added but we would be fine to drive the car. took it back to the mechanic when we returned. He said the the head gasket was blown and the head was warped. The vehicle has never blown white smoke, the gauge on the dash has never read hot, and he has had it a lot during the last fall. He told us that during a pressure test all was good; he did a test on the gasket - some sort of color test, no problems but now a head gasket w/ a warped head. He fixed it and now says that the gasket took out his waterpump. Less than 1 week after he put the head gasket on and fixed the head having coolant leaks on floor and still smell the burnt antifreeze. Took it back to him to fix - extreme bad smell in coolant overflow bottle - he cleaned it out. He said that he I have lost coolant from where he filled it on the overflow and told me to drive it a couple of more days to see if any leaks appear. The very next day got in the car and now the crank shaft sensor is bad and the car is also showing a code for ELD. Please help - What the heck is going on?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man that is a hard one.... Is it still leaking? Has the thermostat been replaced?

Do you smell a sweet smell or does your windshield fog up when the defroster is on? Could be a heater Core issue... Thermostat replaced and not backwards? Did the guy burp the system when filling it up?

Leak from the radiator? Hoses?

Coolant system's can be fun! Is this a reputable mechanic? If so have you taken it to another place for a second look?

Gl

evanrae

The mechanic was recommended from a friend - he takes his company vehicles to him.

he has replaced the thermostat. the car still has a burnt antifreeze smell; no sweet smell. Defroster works fine. Have not seen anything wet on the driver floor. Mechanic said the crank shaft sensor pins are corroded and that is what took it out. Saw on another thread that if that sensor is corroded i could also have problems with the connector / wiring harness.

System has been burped and there are no apparent leaks coming from anywhere but you can smell it.

Thanks for your help.

Buysellny

Can someone please help- I'm Mechanically Challenged. I have a 2003 civic with 138k miles. LOVE my Civic! June 2010 had timing belt changed. Mechanic said it was a good time to change water pump without adding more labor charges - great! Had both done. Within 2 weeks had coolant leak on garage floor. Took it back to mechanic; he couldn't find anything. We asked him to check the waterpump and timing belt area that he installed as we had absolutely no problems with the car until he worked on it. Took car back more than 5 times w/ coolant leaks; coolant would blow out the overflow and you can smell burnt antifreeze sitting inside the car, still mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. He would add coolant, ask me if the gauge on dash would get any higher than usual and send me on my way. Then, intermittently, the heater would only blow hot air if I pressed on the gas but as soon as I had to hit the brake, the vent would only blow ice cold air until I pushed on the gas; the gauge on the dash would not go any further than normal (less that half way). Took back to the mechanic - low on coolant and still can't find anything leaking. He added coolant and sent me on my way. Finally in December he saw leaking coming from the weep hole on the waterpump he installed. The drainage coming from the weep hole was about 2" long. He changed the pump, refilled coolant and said I was good to go - Great Finally Fixed! took a trip (3 hour drive one way) hit the brakes and got cold air. Immediately called the mechanic. He said to add coolant and let him know how much coolant was added but we would be fine to drive the car. took it back to the mechanic when we returned. He said the the head gasket was blown and the head was warped. The vehicle has never blown white smoke, the gauge on the dash has never read hot, and he has had it a lot during the last fall. He told us that during a pressure test all was good; he did a test on the gasket - some sort of color test, no problems but now a head gasket w/ a warped head. He fixed it and now says that the gasket took out his waterpump. Less than 1 week after he put the head gasket on and fixed the head having coolant leaks on floor and still smell the burnt antifreeze. Took it back to him to fix - extreme bad smell in coolant overflow bottle - he cleaned it out. He said that he I have lost coolant from where he filled it on the overflow and told me to drive it a couple of more days to see if any leaks appear. The very next day got in the car and now the crank shaft sensor is bad and the car is also showing a code for ELD. Please help - What the heck is going on?
OMG.. I would have blown the car up at that point.. it's head gasket with warped head right? Problem is.. high miles on a car.. when you put in a new gasket the new compression can cause it to fail since the block can't handle it.. all kinds of weird crap takes place.. replacing a head gasket is risky in high miles cars..