Crank no Start after Rain!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mod mike

92 Civic Si HB. D16.
I've been having this problem since about Feb of this year, (2011).
Whenever it rains overnight and I go to start the car in the morning it will crank but just keep cranking!
--CEL is lit and doesn't go off and doesn't give a code
--Fuel Pump does not operate while CEL is on
--After about 2-10 minutes the CEL will turn off and the Fuel Pump will prime and then it will start.
This only happens when it is moist outside. As I live in Ohio, this can happen often! lol.
I've new FP, SP wires, SP's (NGK). Relay was tested for operation and swapped and still same issue.
While it was rainy one day I ran through tests to check the distributor and everything checked out! It sparks!
There is just no fuel.

I've asked so many people and no one knows for sure!

It was suggested to check for a short in the wiring to the FP harness. This is the next step.
Any other ideas? Any one have access to iATN.net?

I've read through all the other crank no start issues, as they are similar, there is nothing said about rain and there are various differences.

Thanks so much everyone!

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have an DVOM find a wiring diagram to figure out which wires belong to the fuel pump. If disconnect all connectors to and from the fuel pump. Set your DVOM to ohms and check for ~0ohms or OL on the meter. Check the corresponding pin at each end of the connectors.

IF you have ~0ohms that wire is good.

IF you have OL you have a short or an open in that circuit.

IF more than ~0ohms a wire may have corroded and built more resistance

IF none of that finds your problem, have a friend wiggle the wiring harness as you're checking the pins

mod mike

If you have an DVOM find a wiring diagram to figure out which wires belong to the fuel pump. If disconnect all connectors to and from the fuel pump. Set your DVOM to ohms and check for ~0ohms or OL on the meter. Check the corresponding pin at each end of the connectors.

IF you have ~0ohms that wire is good.

IF you have OL you have a short or an open in that circuit.

IF more than ~0ohms a wire may have corroded and built more resistance

IF none of that finds your problem, have a friend wiggle the wiring harness as you're checking the pins
Will do and let you know the outcome. Just gotta get new batteries for my Fluke DVOM. lol

dlataa

93 honda civic EX will not start after a rain

helppppppppppp please replaced plugs plug wires changed distributor car runs great and starts great while it's dry outside but if it rains overnight or through the day no spark from spark plugs

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
helppppppppppp please replaced plugs plug wires changed distributor car runs great and starts great while it's dry outside but if it rains overnight or through the day no spark from spark plugs
Please don't thread jack and start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.