Cruise Control Issue....Please Help!!!!

bigpoppaC10

So I recently purchases my civic. Its a 5-speed 1996 EX Coupe. When I push the “cruise” button to the left of the steering column, the light comes on. When I hit the “SET/decel” button on the steering wheel to set the cruise, the light on the cluster comes on as if it was set, but it doesnt hold my speed. When I hit the brakes, clutch, or drop below the minimum speed for cruise, the light goes off. It seems to be functioning normal as far as the lights go, but in practice will not hold my speed. I’ve looked around the forums and didnt find anything pertaining to my exact issue. Im new to Hondas so anything you guys can come up with would be great. Thanks.

bigpoppaC10

Speedometer works fine. No CEL. Only light that stays on after startup is the SRS light which i havent gotten around to soing the reset procedure on. Ive been looking through the service manual to run some sort of diag on it. I dont think it would have anything to do with the fact that the dude before me put adjustable coilovers on and dropped it 2”, but then again stranger s**t has happened when it comes to cars in general.

bigpoppaC10

Honestly, I am a royal dumdum. After downloading the service manual, I did some reading. Went to go look under the hood, and found two harnesses where the actuator and vacuum tank are supposed to be. Looks like the turd who had the car before me removed them. As for why, I don't think I could ever understand what reason someone would have had to do such a thing.

bigpoppaC10

Ya. Im going to be heading that way anyways. Both windows slowly fall over the course of a couple days. Figure it’s off track. Old boy said that the regulators were bad and they unplugged the windows. Checked the switches on the door, and they’re still hooked up to the harness. Checked fuses, and theyre good. So unless he unplugged them by disconnecting the harness from the motor, theyre probably just shot. Got to get in there and look.

bigpoppaC10

So i bought a CC actuator, vacuum tank, and associated plumbing and cable from the boneyard. Looks like-new. Put it in, only to realize that the d***head who removed the CC replaced the intake mani with one that didnt have a connection for the cruise control vacuum line. I t-ed it to the fpr vacuum line on the opposite side, figuring it would work. Now when i hit the set button, it will light up like it’s set, but turn right back off a split-second later. If i hold the accel button the light stays on, but i just decelerate. How do you check the sensors for the CC on the brake and clutch pedals? Brake lights arent stuck on so im assuming the brake sensor is fine. The vacuum tank doesnt have to “charge” does it? Ive never really screwed with CC.

bigpoppaC10

UPDATE:

So im not sure if i just wasnt holding accel long enough to let it start working, but if i hit set and then press and hold accel immediately after, it accelerates. It just doesnt want to lock in the speed and will disengage as soon as I let go of the accel button. I checked the rubber stoppers on the pedals and they appear to be in good shape (no dimples, nicks, or missing chunks). Ill have to try to get a voltmeter on the system sometime next week as i am active duty army and about to go to the field foe a week.

bigpoppaC10

UPDATE #2:

Cruise still wont set. It seems that the accel button only works intermittently as it didnt work this morning, yet it worked last night. Idk if it has something to do with the weather. The SRS light shouldnt have any effect on cruise control operation correct?

bigpoppaC10

Awesome thanks boofoo! I just got back from the field so I will have to check out the SRS.

CRUISE CONTROL UPDATE:
So i did what you suggested about holding the set button for 2+ seconds and ive gotten it to work pretty consistently. It will shut off occasionally when i hit a hard bump and sometimes just by itself, but for the most part is working. I tried lifting up on the pedals as i set the cruise, and it still shuts off randomly at times. Seems to work though. Probably just a short somewhere im sure.

bigpoppaC10

UPDATE:
So the cruise control only worked for just a bit. Ive tried turning it off and on and holding set for 2-5 seconds to no avail. Tried lifting on the clutch and brake pedals and no dice. This is bugging the hell out of me now. I was so excited to have cruise.

bigpoppaC10

As far as the steering column cable reel, is there typically a way of fixing it or is it something that would most likely need replaced?

bigpoppaC10

Ok, so the brake pedal cruise control switch tested fine. I cant seem to get to the clutch cruise control switch. Is there an easy way to get up in there?

bigpoppaC10

Managed to get the harness from the clutch cruise control switch off....but couldnt get my multimeter prongs up in the thing. I figured since it’s a closed circuit until the clutch is depressed, i could jump the harness....so i did. Went for a drive and no dice. Have to climb in there tomorrow and test the cable reel and cruise buttons. Figure that’d be the easiest route before tackling the cruise ecu

bigpoppaC10

You test off of the harness correct? Also, I’m assuming that by checking resistance to ground all i have to do is hit the terminal its asking to check and the ground for the unit? Or is no. 3 on the harness the ground? Sorry man im lost. Im a noob with multimeters. All ive ever used them for is continuity

bigpoppaC10

So I haven’t had a chance to dive into the module with my multimeter, but i feel as though ive discovered a trend. When its pretty cold out (25/30 and lower), the cruise doesnt work. It will work the majority of the time when its warmish outside (50+). Almost makes me think i have a small vacuum leak somewhere. Bout to swap out the koni’s on it for stock shocks, might take a can of carb cleaner to my vacuum lines and try to find a surge.