Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Well as most of you know there is a scam out there where basically you loose your car and the money and then some that was sent to you, well here's a full in detail explanation of it.

http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-buyer-scam.htm

Car Buyer Scam
A common scam by pretend used-car buyers can take your money, not your car

A popular scam that has victimized many used-car sellers is one in which the proposed buyer usually claims to be from Africa, or another country, and is eager to buy the advertised car, sight unseen, for the asking price. After some complicated email exchanges with the "buyer," the victim ends up with a worthless cashiers check or money order, a depleted bank account, and is still stuck with the car.

How does it work?
You advertise your used car for sale in a newspaper classified ad or on an "auto trader" website. Your car may be one that is in less-than-perfect condition and has high mileage such that it may be difficult to find a buyer. You are anxious to sell.

You are contacted by an interested buyer who wants your car and is willing to pay your price, without seeing or examining the car. He tells you that he lives/works in Africa (or other foreign location) and that he will arrange to have the car picked up by his "agent" and shipped to him. He may say that he's in the U.S. and represents someone in another country. He offers to send you a U.S. certified cashier's check right away.

You receive the cashier's check but the amount is more than the agreed-on price of the car. The reason that the check is in excess of your asking price is typically explained as a "mistake," or that the check had already been cut before setting a price, or any one of a number of other explanations.

You deposit the perfectly official-looking check at your bank. The bank credits your account for the amount of the check, although the check has not actually cleared yet, and won't be for 10 business days or more.

Uh-oh! Something's wrong
Meantime, the "buyer" contacts you again and reminds you that he sent you too much money, and asks you to send him or his agent a money order or cashier's check for the excess amount, which might be a few hundred or a few thousand dollars. You do it.

A day or so later, the "buyer" may contact you again and may inform you that he (or his client) has changed his mind about purchasing your car, and asks you to send him the rest of the money. You do it.

Now it gets worse
The bank calls you a few days later and informs you that the cashier's check from the buyer is counterfeit and is totally worthless. They debit your account for the full amount of the check.

They now want you to make good on the checks you've written from your account that you sent to the "buyer" or used to purchase a money order sent to the buyer. Whatever money of your own that was in your account is now gone. The bank claims no responsibility in the matter. Your funds are not guaranteed under banking regulations.

You're out of luck
The "buyer" was using a bogus name and can't be located. There is no one to sue or prosecute. You still have your used car but now owe your bank a substantial amount of money.

The details on this scam may vary, but the basic scheme is always the same: bad cashier's check in payment for a used car, followed by a request for refund or forwarding of some or all of the money before the check clears the bank.

Don't get caught in this one. Many people have.

+++

Actual examples of this scam
Here are a few examples of actual email exchanges from real scammers to potential victims. Note in the following email that the asking price for the old car is $450 but the scammer is sending $3500 by cashier's check. Guess whose bank account would be short by $3050 very soon.

----------------------------------

Hello [seller name],
Good day to you,my name is Franks .I‘m a Autodealers,I‘m interested in purchasing your (1977 Dodge Aspen).I‘m making this transaction urgent as i have my client who is in need of it as soon as possible.I will like to see a pic of it and Let me know the present condition of it and i will like to know your best offer for it.My client made me understand he will be making the payment through a certified cashier check as the only way he could get this transaction done as soon as possible.Let me know if that is okay by you. Looking forward hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Franks.

Hello [seller name],
Thanks for your mail and understanding and will want payment to be asap, i will go about payment by instructing my client in the states to issue you a certified cashier check of $3,500 and this should take care of all expences in this transaction, what you will do once you have recieved the check ,is to cash it, and deduct your own money($450) and the wiring charges and wire the balance to my international shipping agent through western union transfer. Once he recieves the balance,he will come over to your location in the very next day for pick up of the (1977 Dodge Aspen), now the money wired to the shipper is his fees for his services, transportation to your location and back to me, also for all charges that may arise along this transaction cos i will want the good to be delivered to me safe and sound without problems, i shall send you my shipper address as soon as i contact him.All what i need from you now is to mail me with you details below...
YOUR FULL NAME..........(on check)
YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS....
YOUR STATE AND ZIPCODE.......
YOUR COUNTRY.......
YOUR PHONE NUMBER..........(both mobile and landphone number)
Do get back to me asap with this details for payment to be made out to you immediately,so that i can forward it to my client who will issue out payment on my behalf to you the, let me know asap if you are still intrested so that we could seal this transaction on time.
Regards,
Franks Joel.

Here is another email from a scammer that was forwarded to us by an alert seller. Notice how the counterfeit cashiers check would be written for $6400 more than the price of the car that was being sold. Notice, too, the intricate explanation for the reason for the extra money. If the seller had sent the $6400 check, as requested, his bank account would have been $6400 short because the original $15,150 check from the buyer was worthless.

Hello John,

Thanks for your mail. I am very sorry for not getting back to you as expected, i was trying to conclude issue of payment with my client. I am delighted to tell you that my client appreciates and commends your vehicle, with full interest, he is willing to carry on with this transaction. I have finalized with my client on the price of $8,750 which is the last asking price for your vehicle and its ok by him, I have forwarded your vehicle information including your last mail to him for his proper records.

He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a US certified cashier check of $15,150, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client .Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you,Because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque.So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle (car) $8,750, when payment gets to you and refund balance $6,400 to the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to my agent,he will then proceed with his mechanics for the inspection, pick up(of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documets will be handed over to my agent at the time of pick up.

Please confirm this and forward the following informations;
Names:.......
Address:.......
Phone#:.......

For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible.I decided to mail it now for urgent purpose. Thanks for yor understanding and co-operation
Best regards,

Jeffery.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Here's another example of an email exchange between a potential "buyer" and a used car seller who was one of our readers, and who caught it first. Notice the poor English, grammar, and inconsistent use of capitalization. It's the same pattern as the other scams.

Hello [seller name]
My name is dennis,i'm contacting you in respect of your advert as the subject follow {1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon} placed online for sale at the amount of {$2500},I am delighted to know if you still have it for sale. If furtunate it still available, I will like to know it condition at this present and the way it function. Also, I will appreciate if you can send me some pictures of it and tell me the last price you want to sell it for me .or the last offer you posted online ,I am counting and holding on to you that you will reply this offer of mine as soon as possible. It is very urgent,and stay bless.
Thanks!
Dennis

Hello [seller name]
How you doing, i want you to know that i ma queit okay with the amount of this goods and that of it conditon, and i will want the payment to be as soon as posible...i will issue you a cheque of {$3500} which will take care of the expensive both the shipping and the goods.
all you have to do is for you to have the cheque and clear it at the nearset cashing point around you then you wire the balance to my shipping company which i will give the address to you when the time comes to wire the money. so that they can come up for the pick up on time in your location which i have giving them your contact address to pick the goods up when you send them the money.they are the company i used since i stated my business and they have never piss me off. all you have to do now is to give me your
FULL NAME.......
FULL ADDRESS...................
COUNTRY...................
STATE..............
CITY......................
ZIP CODE.....................
so that the cheque can be issue out for you asap.
stay bless.
regards.....

hello [seller name]
thanks for your mailing sound great, well dont burder for shipping as i told u before i have my international shipping company that will come for the pickup of the goods which is in africa okay your money is $1700 and i have issue the check of $3500 and you gona recieve the check soonest as far as you recieve the check and have it clear and you gona diduct your own and send the remain balance to my shipper agent who we come for the pick up of the goods.
THANKS
REGARD

HELLO [seller name]
Thanks for youe mailing am happy to read your message,well you gona recive to check assap, when you have the check first imforme so that i will tell what nest to do after that am gona give my shipper agent imformation that you gona wire the rest money to.
THANKS

Here's yet another example of an email received by another of our readers. The seller had placed an ad to sell his car with AutoTrader. Won't these people ever give up?

Hello [seller name],
Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry,and the information provided on your vehicle, i have just spoken with the customer not long ago regarding payment and pickup arrangements, though he really commended the details of the vehicle's condition and features from the autotrader AD.. he explained that there is no much time left considering the purpose of the vehicle and that his debtor company already took more than enough time to release his refund.
He has instructed me to carry on with the transaction at the price of $6,500, and that he will rest virtually all the transaction on my shoulder and assign a shipper like wise that i will work with he further intoned that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $10,600 which was an earlier cancelled order made by him, this amount is expected to in part cover both the shipping and any other expences that m! ight accrue in the course of this transaction since he would be travelling out of town for business soon,So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $6,500 when payment is received and send balance of $4,100 to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping, tax / other charges and cosmetic repair costs.
Upon receiving your payment and balance sent down to the shipper ,immediately the shipper's agent will come for pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), some cosmetic touches and drive to the prepaid shipper. Confirm this and forward your LEGAL NAMES, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER today for payment to be made out. Please get back to me within fews hours of receiving my mail to confirm this.
All other information needed in completion of this transaction will be given to you in due time.
Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation of your understanding.
Kind Regards,
Ambriel.

And another good example from Bridget. Notice how the description of the car seems to be pasted in, as in a form letter.

HELLO Bridget ,

THANKS FOR THE MAIL I"STILL INTRESTED IN BUYING IT.AND I WILL LIKE TO TELL YOU THAT THE PAYMENT WILL NOT TOO LATE BEFORE GETTING TO YOU.MORESO .I COULD HAVE FIXED A DATE TO COME TO YOUR LOCATION TO SEE THE ( 2000 Chevy Express 1500 V-8) BUT THERE IS NO TIME FOR THAT SINCE I KNOW THAT YOU ARE TRUST WORTHY I CAN DEPEND AND COUNT ON YOU,I AM HIGHLY INTERESTED IN BUYING THE ( 2000 Chevy Express 1500 V-8),MEANWHILE THANKS FOR THE PICS,YOU CAN ASURE ME THAT THE( 2000 Chevy Express 1500 v-8) IS IN GOOD CONDITON.MEANWHILE THE PAYMENT WILL BE MADE BY MONEY ORDER REASON IS THAT I AM OUT FOR BUSINESS NOW AS I SAID EARLIER BUT I HAVE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO MAIL YOU SINCE YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL (2000 Chevy Express 1500 V-8) FOR ME I WILL WANT THIS INFORMATION FOR THE MONEY ORDER AND AS SOON AS YOU PROVIDE IT I WILL FORWARD IT TO MY ASSOCIATE IN THE STATE TO ISSUE THE MONEY ORDER FOR PAYMENT MEANWHILE THE REASON WHY THE MONEY ORDER IS $8000 OVER THE AMOUNT YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL IT IS THAT I WILL WANT YOU TO FAITHFULLY DEDUCT YOUR MONEY FOR THE (2000 Chevy Express 1500 V-8) WHICH IS $5,900 AND I WILL MAKE YOU AN OFFER OF $100 PLEASE KINDLY SEND THE REMAINING FUNDS TO MY SHIPPING AGENT FOR HIM TO COME FOR THE PICK UP IN YOUR LOCATION. SO MAIL ME BACK WITH THESE INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR SO THAT THE CHECK CAN GET TO YOU

SONEEST [Mexico]

Here's another one sent to us by Chris. Notice the "buyer" is sending $8150 extra money (but in a single check) that he wants Chris to send to his "shipping agent." The "buyer's check is fake; Chris's check wouldn't be. Chris's bank account would have a deficit of exactly $8150 if he followed through on this deal.

Hello ,

I have forwarded your vehicle information to my Financial Instituttion for them to be able to release the fund to you, due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time.
I'm delighted to tell you that I appreciate your concern and has commended your vehicle,
with full interest, am will to carry on with this transaction, You are hereby inform that payment will get to you in an amount of $19,000 which cover's the cost of your car and amount for shipment.I have also instructed my Financial Instituttion to release the fund. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ( car) $10,850 when payment gets to you and refund balance $8,150 to our agent ( the shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping payment, tax charges and other cosmetic repair costs.
After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shiper's agent will come for inspection, pick up of vehicle & signing of title papers, make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to the approve destination.
Please confirm your acceptance so that the finance institute will contact you immediately.
Please Forward the following informations;

NAME:.............
ADDRESS:..........
PHONE:............
Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly
appreciated.

Have a wonderful day.

Javier.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
just please be careful and don't let this happen to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.