CV Axle Suggestions: What to consider?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When buying CV axles for a daily driver (mine being a '97) what should be considered when making a choice? I dont seem to find any discerning info on which brand is better aside from Raxle so I assume it may not make a big difference. My logic is that a rebuilt CV axle might be better than a new aftermarket as its not difficult to install new parts and the factory frame quality is likely better.

Is it known if Honda makes their own or what company make them for Honda? I understand that factory axles would be best but theyre more than double the cost of rebuilts or new aftermarket ones.

Roughly how long should a Raxle, aftermarket and rebuilt CV axle last, comparatively? It seems Id have to call Raxle for an estimate cost as I didnt find 3rd-party sellers.

All helpful information will be appreciated since I didnt seem to find a thread elsewhere that answers these questions collectively.

Here's a seemingly good link about how to repair your own...
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-remove-and-replace-cv-axle.192313/

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
C'mon. With all the experience & knowledge in this forum, some of you must have helpful input.

daperez13

Respected
I personally do not trust your typical AutoZ0n3, O'R3illy or any other local auto shop that has not been around for more than 10 years, for critical and safety components. I've had better luck with NAPA, however, they tend to be a bit more pricey and can still carry some of the same cheap-brand products.

If it was me, I would definitely attempt to rebuild my existing axles (assuming they are salvageable), but the problem does lie with which kits are available and from whom. Raxle does seem to provide high quality axles but I'm sure there are others out there that can provide comparable quality products at more competitive prices. Fortunately for me (unfortunately for experience sake), I have never had the need to rebuild or replace axles.

Let me know what you decide to go with, as you have now sparked some curiosity in this department.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree about the quality of auto parts stores' quality, but I'm surprised that this topic hasn't been covered pretty much anywhere. I currently intend to buy axles and use the old ones to take apart and learn as I'm not certain of their condition although they make no noise despite the boots leaking for maybe 2 years. I'm considering replacing just the boot and re-greasing them but I'm not sure I want to risk the potential loss in work time and money if they happen to fail shortly thereafter.

MotorMo

Respected
Had an interesting issue at my shop just last week concerning aftermarket axles...Customer had a 94 Honda Civic hatch, we replace the left side OEM axle with an aftermarket unit. The car had serious torque steer! We went through 4 different axles before we found one that didn't give off any symptoms. Long story short, aftermarket axles are all made with different types of metal compounds, and many of them are weaker than the OEM units, and thus have more or less "flex and twist". Best advice is to replace them in matching pairs, or go OEM re-manufactured, or re-boot the originals.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Had an interesting issue at my shop just last week concerning aftermarket axles...Customer had a 94 Honda Civic hatch, we replace the left side OEM axle with an aftermarket unit. The car had serious torque steer! We went through 4 different axles before we found one that didn't give off any symptoms. Long story short, aftermarket axles are all made with different types of metal compounds, and many of them are weaker than the OEM units, and thus have more or less "flex and twist". Best advice is to replace them in matching pairs, or go OEM re-manufactured, or re-boot the originals.
Now this is the kind of info. I'm looking for. Thanks. How do I identify OEM axles?

So you're a mechanic for a private shop?

Last edited:

MotorMo

Respected
Hard to identify OEM axles. They all look similar, but after you see a hundred of them its a little easier to see the different.
Yes, my 9-5 is at an auto repair shop. Been grinding as a tech for 15+ years:guns: