D15B to D15B VTEC Engine Swap

SRASC

5+ Year Member
Planning on doing this swap sometime in the summer. There is an engine for $3500 (TT) (local currency) available which includes everything aside from the transmission. I plan, if possible, to use my current D15B a/t for the new D15B VTEC engine.
Question is though, is this a plausible engine swap? If so what should I avoid doing? Also if you have done this swap on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard was it to do?

Current Engine: D15B (dual carb)
Planned Engine: D15B (VTEC)

psychotic_civic

3500 for a d15b vtec?!?!?! thats outrageous....i find them all day long with engine, tranny and ecu for about 1200 shipped to my door

anyways, your swap will be a headache as your going from carb to fuel injection, obd0 to obd1.....get the jump harness and use a p28 automatic ecu,,,,then get a obd 1 civic ex or si wiring harness then the rest should be pretty much straight forward

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3500 for a d15b vtec?!?!?! thats outrageous....i find them all day long with engine, tranny and ecu for about 1200 shipped to my door

anyways, your swap will be a headache as your going from carb to fuel injection, obd0 to obd1.....get the jump harness and use a p28 automatic ecu,,,,then get a obd 1 civic ex or si wiring harness then the rest should be pretty much straight forward
$3500 in Trinidadian dollars = $585 and change in good ole amurican.
Carb to FI is not an easy issue. I do not recommend this swap as a do it yourself project, besides I think the carb motors are better unless you plan on a turbo, seriously. can TT do business with Venezuela? cause that might be a good source of some hi-po carb'd engines

DaMechanicEG/EK

5+ Year Member
Dnt pay more then 500 for it, nt for a sohc, vtec or nt. u can get a b16 or a b18 for dat much, fullswap.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Where can you guys get a b16 for $600? One thats in fairly good condition?

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd like to know that as well! sounds like more sohc hate than anything, plus you guys have to take into account hes on a small island in the Caribbean, I'm surprised he could get a motor shipped there!

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Like thats a better deal. You can ususally pick them up for under 500 usd

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd like to know that as well! sounds like more sohc hate than anything, plus you guys have to take into account hes on a small island in the Caribbean, I'm surprised he could get a motor shipped there!
You would think islands would be at an advantage shipping wise.

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like thats a better deal. You can ususally pick them up for under 500 usd
The deal he's getting is good when you do the money conversion $585 and change, unless you think he should shop around for 85 bucks?lolz, I think thats why this should-be-dead-thread is alive still, even the op hasn't come back!
Ya know I am interested in what it's gonna take to do a carb to efi swap, do you know cheezeon?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The deal he's getting is good when you do the money conversion $585 and change, unless you think he should shop around for 85 bucks?lolz, I think thats why this should-be-dead-thread is alive still, even the op hasn't come back!
Ya know I am interested in what it's gonna take to do a carb to efi swap, do you know cheezeon?
Yeah I wasnt disputing the original posters price being a bad deal once converting to us dollars. The other dude said 1200 for a d15 vtec, thats why I posted what I did.
No I do not know what it would take to do the carb to fi conversion. Maybe a s**t ton of wiring and a fi ecu?

Finding Nismo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's prolly used up and miles over, but I wouldnt doubt for a second that it's a stolen motor seems that you can always find a civic with the motor missing around here???lolz

DaMechanicEG/EK

5+ Year Member
I would take ,it. dats mad cheap. stolen or nt, sounds fukd up bt dats part of da honda food chain,,, atleast down here in south florida.

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dunno, 500 bucks for a B16 is alil alarming. maybe its a first gen? :what:

as for the orignal posters question, $585 isn't bad for a JDM D15b swap especially to a small island! i mean damn thats actually great i would figure it would be something crazy. however its gonna be a b***h going from Carb to PGMFI but good luck if you consider doing it and keep us updated. that would be pretty sweet!

SRASC

5+ Year Member
only problem is that D15B VTEC engines are a rarity here right now. Except for this one: