D15Z1 swap into Ej1

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
I just purchased an 1993 EJ1 for 1500,

I took this beast to get smogged and it failed the visuel inspection, apparently some idiot replaced the stock d16z6 motor and swapped it with a d15z1 motor from a VX.

It failed visuel inspection based on the fact that their is no EGR valve.

The stock d16z6 intake manifold and engine do not require nor have an EGR system the VX is the only model that does.

I am interested in how I can get this car to pass smog, I am in california and apparently all of our state Ref and Bar people have been fired on the account of state budget cuts.

The engine bolts into everything fine however the stock intake manifold has no EGR system. Is my only option a complete swap back to my stock d16z6 or is it possible to do any modifications to make it pass smog.

As far as i know the d15z1 is running and bolted to all stock d16z6 parts(I.E. P28 chip, stock d16z6 intake manifold, and d16z6 automatic tranny)

Car runs find (Vtec kicks really hard because of the use of the p28 chip) how can i get this thing to pass smog without doing a complete engine swap.
Please help i have search the cc forums and havent found any useful information, any advice is greatly appreciated!!

And no im not trying to do a Mini Me swap, this is a complete DD/ looker i jsut need a working legal vehicle no performance neccissary.

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
Well i am finding it impossible to find any parts for a d15z1 on craigslist or at junk yards, everyone appears to say that it is a simple swap froim d-series to d-series im a little confused as to why im having so much trouble getting it smogged, no other model comes with an egr valve so does everyone that does this swap drive illegally without smog?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
no, nobody does this swap

Ill buy it from you if you dont want it lol

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
Im thinking it would be quite expensive to ship it to you, Im on the west coast Cali, It really would be nothing but the motor, i mean I need to keep all things such as wiring harness intake manifold aswell as ecu and shift linkage, I plan on going back to stock d16z6 motor and all of those things fit perfect for it. But hell let me know i willing to entertain any options

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Im thinking it would be quite expensive to ship it to you, Im on the west coast Cali, It really would be nothing but the motor, i mean I need to keep all things such as wiring harness intake manifold aswell as ecu and shift linkage, I plan on going back to stock d16z6 motor and all of those things fit perfect for it. But hell let me know i willing to entertain any options
s*** if the car is just sitting i would trade you heads even. Sign me up for 45+mpg :headbang::hitit:

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
If youll pay for the shipping costs i have no problem, What type of head do you have?
If its a d16z6 ide trade you straight across for your block/ head/ valve cover /
i dont need the wiring harness, ecu, intake manifold, nothing like that. just the motor.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
lol nah dude, the shipping would be so much more than both our engines combined. Youre in cali, put a WTB ad on hondamarketplace youll find one in less than 10 hours

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
OK well since the thread is open, Ive searched every forum their is and i havent found the answer to "Has anyone swapped a d15z1 into an 92-95 ej1 (ex, coupe, whatever it may be called)?" I know everyone has done d15z1/ d16z6 head for the turbo boost but im talkin about just a straight swap, is the only way to make it cali smog legal is to have everyone component from the original Z1 set up, most importantly the intake manifold that has the connection for the EGR system. Or is it possible to buy or find the Egr system and wire it into the Z6 ecu and intake manifold? i guess those are my questions. Im really trying to figure something out because i bought the car with a swapped Z1 in it however it is running on a p28 ecu, EX tranny, and Z6 intake manifold no problems with how it runs but i cant pass a visual smog inspection to save my life because of their being no EGR system.
The guy who did it appears to have done it right however i dont see how he ever got it smogged and legal to drive.... im running on a 60 day permit until i can either swap back to a Z6 or find someone to smog it and look the other way.

How realistic is it to find a dirty smogger that you can pay off to pass your stuff?

Ok im done thnx in advance

ExCaliber

New To The Honda Scene
One more question... iff i already have the Z6: Ecu, intake manifold, shift linkage, tranny, throttle body, dizzy,, can i get away with just buying the Z6 engine, like the block, the head with valve cover? or is their much more parts to deal with....

Cobl18

Registered VIP
it shouldn't be that hard to find some run down mechanic shop that you can slip a 50 dollar bill and get it passed. Texas isn't any where near as harsh as Cali but I'm sure there has to be a few mechanics that will do this.