d16y7 to d15b VTEC swap?

jamie langdo

5+ Year Member
i have a d16y7 stock, and i need to replace it. some ppl have told me in order to keep it cheap, to swap it with the d15 VTEC. is it a good idea?
im looking in getting the complete motor and computer.
will i need to do any big mods? or will be a nice and easy swap?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
unless you get the full d15 wire harness it will be a pain in the ass. Because you're going from obd2 to obd1 and you will need to rewire a ton of things.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go for the d16y8. It will be easier for you to swap and will give a few more hp

96sohccivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it is not a pain in the ass to do if you have all working parts. i just put an odb1 engine into an obd2 car using the obd2 d16y7 harness you just have to wire vtec and you have to wire up the two wire iacv and use the d15b ecu with a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. i wish i would of had a d15b to swap in my car tho but good luck its not too hard if you no what your doing

jamie langdo

5+ Year Member
ok yeah, the d16y8 would be nice and easy. would cost me about 1200$. i found a d15b obd 2 sohc vtec complete, would that work? the guy i found it from said its a direct swap? is he bull shitting me?

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
There is an obd2 jdm d15b, just get the whole wiring harness and ecu. There are many places that carry the complete jdm d15b vtec. All you have to do is look around.