D16y7 / turbo Q's

thexperiment

5+ Year Member
Hello, I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX. Which obviously comes with d16y7, non-vtec. I'm really wanting to go boost, since that's basically what you have to do performance wise with a d-series. I've been reading about "mini-me swaps" and "custom turbo kit for under 1,000." I'm keeping my engine, i dont want to swap it out like everyone else. so im asking you guys for help. =) please dont link me to another thread, some threads are simply confusing.

Okay im interested in both fields. For the mini-swap what do i need from a d16y8 engine? My friend has recently engine swapped out his d16y8, and he'll sell me what i need. d16y8 head, b series throttle body?, d16y8 manifold? I've read forums about people getting d16y8 manifolds and what not, is that needed or not since i would be turboing? so basically, what do i need from a d16y8 swap if im going to turbo, cut out all the other unnecassary junk. If i decide to go with a mini-swap how hard is v-tec to wire? how much does it usually run?

Okay i've heard people saying building or parting a custom turbo kit, for under 1,000. Okay where do i start first, ive heard about putting my car through certain tests to see if it can handle boost. I will eventually build internals, but i might just do internals first. so recommendations, links? your setup, pros and cons, any problems you've runned into. d16y7 or mini-swap. What do i need for a basic turbo kit? no intake since intercooler replaces it, no headers, since blah blah. right? do i have to weld the intercooler to my bumper re-inforcement or whatever. whats a good turbo for d-series, i dont want turbo lag, but i dont want a decent turbo, i want top-notch. =) i wanna do everything right the first time around. -thanks in advanced!

streetracerx

5+ Year Member
do not turbo! vtech with F.I. FTL! buy a bmw if you want F.I!

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
streetracerx said:
Because so many BMWs come from the factory with turbo right? :???: :???:

Them is those mad crazy vtech BMWs like I gots a E49.72658 bee em dubbleroo wif the vtech and quad turbo radial engine

MugenShox

Banned
do NOT turbo a y7, please! lol especially not a stock one! throw a vtec head (z6) and a cam in there or something build it up pretty nice then run about 7-9 psi... should run good.. other than that.. ur more than likely gonna run into some problems...

a custom turbo is prolly the best... just piece it together, it will take more time but it will be to your advantage. first of course find a good turbo (something not too big) then of course intercooler kit, ebay worked for us. and the manifold, they are always on here for sale... GL

if u have any questions just PM me

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtec ain't s**t with turbo especially on a sohc ;)

streetracerx said:
and you call yourself a streetracer :lol:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I read somewhere that you can use the Edelbrock turbo kit on the Y7. :what: I don't think it'll work personally but allegedly someone pulled it off. (mind you this is from the internet so take it with a grain of salt...I did)
Seems to me that the ECU is just not going to work and if you wire up everything from a D16Y8, you might as well go ahead and drop in the Y8.

Turbonetics makes a kit for the Y7. Jeg's claims 200 whp on this kit
Jackson Racing makes a kit for the Y7. The Y7 does not respond to the JRSC as well as teh A6 does so you only end up with about 40 more peak hp. :what: You do get a more responsive engine though

The

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Turbnetics kit pretty decent. Its a little bit of a pain in the ass to build since none of the threads are chased, it would do fine though.

streetracerx said:
You shutting the f**k up FTW!!!

thexperiment

5+ Year Member
i heard the same thing about the edelbrock turbo kits, about the 200hp thing.

some guy around here has the same car as me, but like 1 year newer.
he has a greddy turbo kit on there, its damn quick.

cobalt ss: "i was going 110 mph, and that car flew by me"
me: damn right, hacks