D16Y8 dizzy on D15B8

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm dropping a D15B8 into a 97 Civic and trying to determine the best way to wire the distributor. I have the stock OBD1 distributor on the motor and I also have a D16Y8 distributor on a spare head that I have laying around. As some of you may know the OBD1 distributor has 2 plugs and the OBD2a distributor has 1, I know that they have conversion harnesses and it's possible to rewire the plugs, I'm just not sure what the best way to go is. The D16Y8 distributor is almost brand new so I was wondering if I could just swap the whole thing. Can you run a VTEC distributor on a non-vtec motor? I've searched and found conflicting information.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm dropping a D15B8 into a 97 Civic and trying to determine the best way to wire the distributor. I have the stock OBD1 distributor on the motor and I also have a D16Y8 distributor on a spare head that I have laying around. As some of you may know the OBD1 distributor has 2 plugs and the OBD2a distributor has 1, I know that they have conversion harnesses and it's possible to rewire the plugs, I'm just not sure what the best way to go is. The D16Y8 distributor is almost brand new so I was wondering if I could just swap the whole thing. Can you run a VTEC distributor on a non-vtec motor? I've searched and found conflicting information.
i know the y8 and D15b7 have the same bolt pattern, but im not sure about the D15b8.

i say test fit it and if it will bolt up, it should work just fine.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm trying it right now, I wasn't sure if internally anything would be different. It looks like its going to work.