D16y8 HEAD on D16Z6 BLOCK?

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
What's up everybody. I've got a couple of questions for you guys. So I've been reading through our forums but still haven't been able to find a definite answer, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently riding around in '92 Civic Si, D16Z6. I am trying to use a D16Y8 HEAD on the D16Z6 BLOCK. Will this bolt right up and function properly? I was under the impression that these D-Series parts were inner changeable.. What parts would I need to change for this to work? Intake Manifold, Exhaust Manifold? Like I said I really appreciate everyone's feedback, time and help. THANKS.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Manifolds are the same but I am 99.9% sure you need to change to a timing belt for a Y8. And of course the head bolts right up.

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
So timing belt should be the only issue? What's different about the timing belts? I was guessing the head and block would bolt right up, wanted to make sure before I F--- anything up. anything else you could give me a heads up on as far as this swap goes? Thanks for the quick response by the way.

086head

Registered VIP
I like this post =) Seeing how your changing the head out on the block, what would you benefit from this head swap to the D16Y8?

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
Well I don't know why you'd wanna do this, I'm pretty sure the Z6 HEAD flows better. My head is warped and can't have my car down for too long, as it's my daily driver. So I figured I'd get my hands on another head and do the swap; this way I can have the head resurfaced & tested, and then slap it on the block as soon as the other one comes off.. Without the Y8 Head handy, my car would prob be down for a week or so..

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe the z6 one is shorter but not sure. And research it but I also think that one of the head bolts is different. I know ARP makes a stud kit for a z6 on Y block, not sure on the other way around.

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
Yea I think you're right, I believe the Y8 HEAD is taller. I'm gonna do some more reading, let me know if you guys stumble across anything. Appreciate your help Frodo!!

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Hope you get it figured out. Never seen anything on y8 head on z6 like frodo said they have kits for the other way around but good luck to ya

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it bolts right on.
the Y8 head will bump your compression 0.5CR. but its port and chamber design are more for fuel economy.
you will need to use a Y8 timing belt.

i did this swap on my hatch years ago

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
it bolts right on.
the Y8 head will bump your compression 0.5CR. but its port and chamber design are more for fuel economy.
you will need to use a Y8 timing belt.

i did this swap on my hatch years ago
Do you know if the distributor from the Z6 will bolt right up to the Y8 HEAD? Read on another forum that I need to use the dizzy from the Y8.. Also since you've already done this swap, any ideas on HEAD bolts? I'm hearing I may need different head bolts, not the ones used in a Z6.. Heard I may have to use longer head bolt closest to the #4 cylinder, does that mean I should use Head bolts from a Y8? I'm planning on using ARP head bolts, just don't know what kit I need.. Any other insight you can give me about this would be REALLY appreciated. Keep the feedback coming guys, thanks again.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you know if the distributor from the Z6 will bolt right up to the Y8 HEAD? Read on another forum that I need to use the dizzy from the Y8.. Also since you've already done this swap, any ideas on HEAD bolts? I'm hearing I may need different head bolts, not the ones used in a Z6.. Heard I may have to use longer head bolt closest to the #4 cylinder, does that mean I should use Head bolts from a Y8? I'm planning on using ARP head bolts, just don't know what kit I need.. Any other insight you can give me about this would be REALLY appreciated. Keep the feedback coming guys, thanks again.
if you are putting it in an OBD1 car, you will want a 92-95 civic DX dizzy. if its going in an OBD2 car, then the Y8 one will work

the head bolts i dont remember for sure. i believe at honda the part numbers were the same for the head bolts. i didnt use ARP's though.. i used OEM honda bolts.
if you search for y8 on z6 head bolt on here i bet you will find old threads i posted on that have the answer.

use the OEM Y8 head gasket since it is the best available.

if you are using the Y8 intake mani, some sensors wont match up... i believe the IAT sensor.

codeman76

You would use 1 d16y8 head bolt in the top left corner closest to the vtec solenoid and 9 d16z6 head bolts. D16y8 and d16z6 timing belts are both the same part. Both have 104 tooth count.

khmernese

i thought the cams gears are different though on the y8. it has a 2 degree advance timing if im correct. if not, correct me! otherwise this is a common headswap. they say the y8 head has better "vtec" or something. i dont know.
i also heard that y8 head on a z6 block is the best d series combo/hybrid to do. besides a jdm d15b with y8 head.

codeman76

The cam gears are different but they both have the same tooth count. The d16y8 cam gear is indexed different from the d16z6 cam gear. The d16z6 cam runs at 16 degrees BTDC and the d16y8 cam runs at 12 degrees BTDC. To correct this on a d16z6 block and a d16y8 head you would need to run a d16y8 adjustable cam gear and advance it 4 degrees.

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
ok, well looks like I got some things to look into. I'll keep you guys posted on anything else that comes up. Super excited about all the good info I'm receiving. Thanks for every bodies HELP!!

SiMAC

I'm actually working on this right now, I gutted my z6 dizzy and put it in the y8 shell to fix it, I had already ran a minime on my car before so I got wiring already changed over, the z6 and y8 are basically the same thing, I'm using a z6 head gasket and Multi point intake, timing was the only thing I had to worry about. if you mess that up, you will slap valves the second you turn the car on.

djsmiles

5+ Year Member
I'm actually working on this right now, I gutted my z6 dizzy and put it in the y8 shell to fix it, I had already ran a minime on my car before so I got wiring already changed over, the z6 and y8 are basically the same thing, I'm using a z6 head gasket and Multi point intake, timing was the only thing I had to worry about. if you mess that up, you will slap valves the second you turn the car on.
What head bolts did you use? Do you remember what you set the timing @? Are all the facts below correct? Thanks dude..

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It's the cam and the cam gear that are the problem. it's 4.5 degrees off. So about half a timing gear tooth different. Hell if you want to bolt the head down you need the hardware for the y8 head, and you could put a z6 cam right in it and you'd have zero timing issues. I really don't know how so much misinformation has gotten thrown around. But I don't have time to go through all the drivetrain forums. Deck height isn't the problem.

Yeah they have different timing belts, but it's to straighten out the different cam gear and timing.