d16y8 help plez

frankenSI

hey guys im new to the honda world an need so help to get my 91 civic hatch running better. ok heres what i have i got a 96 d16y8 motor, bull frog cam adj. fuel rail upgraded fuel pump,an a full exhaust ( bought it like this ). the old owner used the stock harness an ecu, motor has vtec but its not hooked up. he used the stock si dizzy so its leaking some oil from the dizzy. it runs ok but not like it should run. i dont not know how to go about fixing this problem. i have a 2000 civic p2p ecu an the motor harness to go with the ecu but i do not know if it will plug an play with the car. plez help me out

frankenSI

anyone. a lil help to get me in the right direction

Themegajosh09

You won't know if it will till you try. I swapped my d16 out so I'm not real families with it but it would seem if the ecu was from a sohc vtec it should work. Also did you say vtec didn't work? Is the Seminole plugged up or removed? Of is it just the ecu isn't for vtec?

frankenSI

the 91 hatch si ecu doesnt have Vtec an its obd0. ive been doing some research but still not sure what to do. from what i have gathered i need a p28 ecu an a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness an a d16y8 dizzy to make it work. but like i said still new to the honda world.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 91 hatch si ecu doesnt have Vtec an its obd0. ive been doing some research but still not sure what to do. from what i have gathered i need a p28 ecu an a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness an a d16y8 dizzy to make it work. but like i said still new to the honda world.
yes do those things and things should be running good, but if you choose to run a p28 you might still have to get it chipped since the y8 motor was never used with the p28. The p28 came out of the 92-95 si and 92-95 ex

frankenSI

What should it be chipped to? I've read that the p28 will run it but haven't read anything bout it being chipped to run the d16y8. I'm still using the stock si harness just converting it to obd1 with a jumper. I wanna keep the car obd1 cos from what I have read u can get more power that way. Still a newb but I did do a lil research so I don't waste anyone's time with dumb questions.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
you need to convert to OBD1, I happen to know a certain person person with a nice fresh OBD0 to OBD1 engine harness (yeah its me)

p28 (even with a stock chip it will run better)
obd1 d series dizzy
and alternator if I remember right, the plug on my harness doesnt work on my OBD2 b20 alternator plug

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im sure there are major parts different between the p28 that you'd use/chip and the P2P that the y8..if you were to use the p2p you'd have to get a obd0-obd2a conversion harness(which i never heard of or know of it existing)..the car might run with the p2p, heck if connect any ecu to a car with the same harnesses it'll run, just run really bad..the air/fuel mixture will be all messed up and your internals will get all super saiyan

frankenSI

Well its running on the si harness an ecu. How it runs I have no cluei just don't know what to do to make it run like a real sohc vtec.

James315

i would a get a p28 like has been said and convert to obd1 even if you dont chip the p28 witch i would eventually it will run ten times better and the harness for the p28 should be mostly plug and play there is not much difference between the d16z6 the p28 is meant for and the d16y8 correct if im wrong all looking to learn sonething new

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sine the engine harness is correct. Use the y8 distributor.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need a new distributor to fix the oil leak problem. all you need to do is change the o-ring

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sometimes people just run the top bolt because it still works, but it'll cause leaks..even two bolts will cause leaks..thats why i advised to get the right distributor so all three bolts can be bolted on.

frankenSI

well the 91 si harness is obd0 an the motor is obd2... i know im going to have to convert to obd1 with a jumper harness but im not sure what dizzy to use or will work with the p28 ecu an my si wiring harness

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id just the correct distributor for the motor..

frankenSI

well i have it all hooked up an its using an obd0 dizzy but im getting ready to convert it over to obd1 an use the p28 ecu but im am not sure what dizzy to use cos im runnin the stock si harness to the whole motor. it runs now but very crappy an has no where near the power it should have i cant even keep up with a stock spec v

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it is running bad don't drive it. Is the cel on? Its probably sending the wrong a/f ratio to the motor and will probably ruin the motor. Get an ex wiring harness and the y8 distributor.

frankenSI

well it runs fine its just running on the si ecu an harness an dizzy. no check engine lights on or nothing. its a 91 civic si hatch an the old owner put a d16y8 motor in it. but like i said i know nothing about Honda im trying to finish up the job that he didnt finish an make it run some what better then it does an in the process of doing so im trying to learn a lil bout hondas. i have the p2p ecu an harness that i bought about a month ago but that wont work cos the car is obd0 an its obd2 harness an ecu.

frankenSI

With all that said. What do I need to do to get it running with the si harness a p28 ecu an the jumper to obd1