D16y8, I want me some boost!

Swampnuts

Stay out the swamp.
Ok I have a 100% stock d16y8 right now, and am REALLY interested in putting a turbo on it. But it's also a daily driver for me and will be for a while, so am I going to be good if I just keep it at a low psi? (6-9) I don't really know jacksh** about turbos because i'm just getting into the whole "tuning" aspect of civics. What am I looking at cost wise for a decent turbo? (full kit) and what company should I go with? I'm not willing to buy any sort of ebay parts, but I'm not looking for a 3000$ kit either.

kwiks93

Your only wanting 6-9psi, dont want to spend 3k, dont want an ebay kit, and still want to be a DD???? Good luck,,, only saying that because if you dont want ebay and dont want to spend 3k your kinda s.o.l. The 6-9psi with a DD is really easy without issues but if you dont want it to fly apart then your gonna spend 3k+ and still have future options. Hope this helps

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is your budget. Set that first. Then do some research. A lot of research. You can piece together a kit for pretty cheap..just don't forget that a very important part of the kit that you can't buy online or from a store is the tuning.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're going to boost an automatic?

Swampnuts

Stay out the swamp.
lol cut me some slack guys, i'm 17. i'll be 18 in like 3 weeks but still :P it wont get turbo'd until next spring, you know how michigan winters are, lol. idk things will probably change by then but i'm just getting as much info about what i want to do as i can haha

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard of people buying the ebay kit, using all the piping, fittings, and fmic the way they come and sending the turbo itself to a machine shop and having it rebuilt to a higher standard, they also buy a different blow off valve. this could save you some money for the tune. Its also going to be really hard to source it for less than 3 grand

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol cut me some slack guys, i'm 17. i'll be 18 in like 3 weeks but still :P it wont get turbo'd until next spring, you know how michigan winters are, lol. idk things will probably change by then but i'm just getting as much info about what i want to do as i can haha
Then try actually reading through the site instead of asking the same questions that have been asked by every n00b under the sun a billion times. "I want turbo but I don't have any money," "what motor do I have in my car," "how can I make my car go faster for free" etc and so forth ad nauseum.

Nothing good is free. Nothing great is cheap. So put that in your pipe and smoke it lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In the top right corner of the screen on this site it says Search: Forum. Start there. There are SO many people that know so much on this site, and they're not going to answer the same questions over and over. Dig up their old threads and send them a PM with something specific. It works SO much better, trust me.

Swampnuts

Stay out the swamp.
Then try actually reading through the site instead of asking the same questions that have been asked by every n00b under the sun a billion times. "I want turbo but I don't have any money," "what motor do I have in my car," "how can I make my car go faster for free" etc and so forth ad nauseum.

Nothing good is free. Nothing great is cheap. So put that in your pipe and smoke it lol
well that's a bit insulting because a) i didn't say i dont have any money b) i knew what motor i had in my car the day i bought it and c) i'm not worried about spending money, i just can't go out and front 3200bucks for a greddy turbo kit. i've never asked about anything being free or cheap. i won't even buy ebay parts, nice try though?

:swallow:

Swampnuts

Stay out the swamp.
I've heard of people buying the ebay kit, using all the piping, fittings, and fmic the way they come and sending the turbo itself to a machine shop and having it rebuilt to a higher standard, they also buy a different blow off valve. this could save you some money for the tune. Its also going to be really hard to source it for less than 3 grand
i'm good, i won't buy any ebay quality parts, i'd rather get it done right the first time. and you'd really be saving more for the tune if you had to take the turbo to a machine shop? i can't imagine that being cheap but hey what do i know right? im a n00b.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Find an old kit on eBay hell. I haven't got to answer these questions on here yet so here it goes. You do need to find a budget you want to go with because if you really want to turbo her then you need to know what all you do need to run on your stock internals. Then you need to check on what type of turbo you would be more interested into getting whether it be some t3/t4 turbo which you can find plenty used, or gt28, or even some precision turbo. When you get done with that you will need to have hardware to tune her with and you will eventually need to go get her tuned before you blow up everything. Their are plenty of sites with kits that you can get as well for under the 3G but you may not have everything in that kit you need.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm good, i won't buy any ebay quality parts, i'd rather get it done right the first time. and you'd really be saving more for the tune if you had to take the turbo to a machine shop? i can't imagine that being cheap but hey what do i know right? im a n00b.
fittings are fittings and rubber hoses are rubber hoses... its hard to screw them up. the turbo is no longer "ebay quality" because it is rebuilt to a higher standard... just saying

MichaelCP20

I just join this website and found many interesting topic with healthy and useful discussion. I am glad to be a part of this site. I am here to share my views over cars and its features.

Talking of upgrading the level of performance parts for your car just check it here. Cheap and affordable for your budget.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I want some spam. And eggs. And maybe..some peanut butter cups