D16Y8 Low RPM Hesitation - Fine past 2500 RPM

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Checked exhaust manifold bolts, all to spec. Manual says 23lb ft, torqued to 25, gave them a slight wrench to be sure. Checked spring bolts at the cat, specced at 16, tightened to 20.

Started car, put my hand over the muffler, built pressure pretty quick and heard nothing. Had a friend do the same thing and listened under the car and at the front, no audible signs of leaks. Had him do it again, placed paper towel over the spring bolt connection, no evidence of air moving through the connection. Checked the manifold on the block with hot soapy water, didn't see any sign of air escaping. So I'm pretty confident that there's not an exhaust leak there.

Readjusted valves, since they were pretty noisy and it wasn't exactly cool the last time. Nice overcast 72 degree day, tightened intake to .007, exhaust to .009.

Double checked ignition timing, looked slightly retarded, advanced a hair to dead-on.

Still waiting on my damn hose fitting for the AASV in the intake.
Haven't had the chance to take both throttle bodies off to swap TPS yet :(

Didn't drive enough this weekend to notice if the gas mileage got better obviously. Don't chug as much, maybe just normal, original issue...

kaxgeo

I had a similar problem here a few months ago, I had my top end apart while getting my head rebuilt from a blown head gasket. While it was off I was cleaning my bay real good. When we got it back hooked it all back up and it ran good, but a little rough on the low end of first gear. It was hopping around like the fuel filter was clogged so I changed it. Didnt do squat... ended it only got worse, so here I am about to tear back int this motor, and I look down and my distributor is dangling there onthe end of the bolts. Tightened em up and it ran like a scalded dog! My guess Is I only put it on hand tight and just never cranked it down good. I think I had a case of cranial rectumitus that day.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice progress.

Gotta be terse. My time here may about to expire.
Having two of the same cars isn't as wonderful as one may think when the gf is constantly coming and going :( Working on it, promise..

I had a similar problem here a few months ago, I had my top end apart while getting my head rebuilt from a blown head gasket. While it was off I was cleaning my bay real good. When we got it back hooked it all back up and it ran good, but a little rough on the low end of first gear. It was hopping around like the fuel filter was clogged so I changed it. Didnt do squat... ended it only got worse, so here I am about to tear back int this motor, and I look down and my distributor is dangling there onthe end of the bolts. Tightened em up and it ran like a scalded dog! My guess Is I only put it on hand tight and just never cranked it down good. I think I had a case of cranial rectumitus that day.
Explored the distributor option pretty thoroughly heh.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure if it was the weather, but the car drove like a champ today. Was out for a good bit and put probably 30 or so miles on it. Not holding my breathe though.

Mostly I noticed consistently was hearing valve tapping when the engine is cold. Just sitting, listening to it while it warmed up. Valve just started randomly tapping, RPMs didn't change at all, nothing. After a solid 30 seconds or so, it just went away. All within roughly 2 minutes of the car being started, totally cold. (This did not happen at all today, btw)

Heard this before the readjustment and now after. Maybe I have a weak spring or worn rocker arm? The engine did just tip 183'000. I guess I couldn't be too bummed if something was worn out.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Another P0133 yesterday. Car had been driving very well. I got on it leaving from work and then was driving it normally the rest of the way. About 10 minutes later the CEL came on. Still drove OK, obviously I wasn't jumping on it. Sort of inclined to change the front O2 sensor at this point since everything else that would normally set off the code doesn't seem to be an issue, but still holding off.

Left the house this morning, temp gauge still said cold, had been running about 5-6 minutes. First stop sign, just stalled. Nice quiet, calm, away with the wind, battery and oil lights came on. Started fine, idle dips very low and then back up around 5-600. Driving to work, RPMs seemed to dip low and then come back up, less noticeable after it warmed up.

Not sure where my hose fitting is, but I think tonight when I get home I'm putting the old intake pipping back on, at least the original hose and the filter box. I think the AASV is causing a lot of issues with my cold starts and running around, so this will tell me yay or nay.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got my hose fitting for the AASV, drilled it in and connected it.

Will say it has made a HUGE difference in how the car runs when it's cold, idles much better, doesn't hesitate or chug taking off, hasn't stalled or feel like it's come close. Even warm, the car is much better taking off, a lot less like it's stumbling.

Dumped a can of SeaFoam in the car. Mostly was just hoping if there was any little crap stuck in the injectors, it may clear that up. After the smoke cleared, the car has been running phenomenally, very responsive. I'm obviously not getting my hopes up at this point, would just be nice if it ran like this always... Also, calculated MPG before filling, came out to ~29 with just shy of a quarter tank left. Oof.

Managed to come across some stupid cheap parts for my car, should have grabbed more but I wasn't thinking about it really. I managed to grab a complete P2P manual trans intake manifold complete with throttle body, tps, map, iacv, pcv, injectors, fuel rail, etc and was able to make sure the tps was good before doing so, $75 for the whole thing. Also was given a 98 Integra LS throttle body with sensors for nothing.

I'll be digging into the throttle body this weekend and get the tps swapped out and calibrated. Since no one seems to carry gaskets for them, I'll try and whip one up from a manila folder or something.

If the car runs well for the rest of the week, I may just hold on to the extra parts, clean everything up really well and slap the 60mm on the IM for an "upgrade" :what: Could sell my bounty for a bit more, I'm sure.

Redcrxdan

Oh man, so what happened!? Hi, I'm Dan. I've got a CRX Si with a y8 engine doing the same thing. Hope your persistence has paid of.