d16y8 quesyions

mikeylee

5+ Year Member
ok i have a d16y8 with about 60k on it and ive done like some of the basics like CAI and a exhaust tip and rims and tires im on a limited budget and probably wont be a drag king or anything

i just want to put some extra horses under the hood and i really dont want to turbo the car cause on a limited budget and i dont want one that lags unless somebody makes a good turbo kit or build one myself with a turbo off of a volvo of my friends

i just need some advice on starting out as a newbie and all and what should i do to bark 3rd and get a little more torque out of the stock d16y8 like putting headers on or new intake mani and throttle body to give me more power i would like to get aas much power out of it without a turbo and everybody says that the only thing to do to get power out of is to turbo it

also i was wondering should i do any fuel or vtec controllers to change some of the engine characteristics

if anyone could help me with some of these things and how much they would cost and how much of a gain i would get from it

thanks give me your opinion and ideas on what to do

what are some good lower springs or should i just get new coilovers

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
turbo or NOS is what will give you the most power. other mods dont add up to alot on the SOHC. I used to be able to chirp 3rd in my car with the D16y8 put now i got better tires so it wont chirp anymore.

JDM_SiR2

5+ Year Member
Here its is!

ZEX Wet kit $600 squeeze like a 35-55 shot that will be the best bang for your buck...

DIY Turbo Kit will run you from $800 - $2500 depends on what kind of quality and how clean you want it to look!

Greddy Turbo Kit 92-95 Civic EX/Si thos you can see them sell for as low as $1300 plus an you need to purchase IC piping, IC, and blowoff valve which you can get really good deals on!

Those are some options for things a little less than $2000

Or you can just do basic bolt-ons but I doubt you'll be happy with the way it feels so try I/H/E and a WET Nitrous Kit!

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nitrous [wet shot preferably] would be your best bet for some hp out of the single cam if you dont wanna turbo it. that's what im thinkin about doing with mine..

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
building your own turbo kit (after proper research) is your best bet for reliable, decent gains. you can build one for less than $1500 easily. Nitrous, though it may seem like a cheap solution, can get pricy after a while, being that you will now need to run premium gas(same with a turbo though), and you will also need to refil the nitrous bottle, even the 10lb bottles don't last all that long and can be relatively expensive to refill.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do a mini-me swap (thats swapping the z6 head onto your block) and that will get your more than a few horses...dunno about barkin 3rd....umm...i/h/e do near jack s**t without tuning. After you do the swap (which runs about $500 TOPS) take it to a dyno and get it tuned...that'll squeeze about 3-5 more horses if ur lucky. put higher octane fuel. do spark plugs and spark plug wires. Do a nice little 1/0 gauge (COMPLETE OVER KILL) or 4gauge (about right) grounding kit (basicly get some audio wires and replace stock grounding points. and most of all, order as many stickers as possible. Those have been butt-dyno proven to increase horsepower in increments of up to 35hp!!!!!

ok i was definately kidding about that last part...don't get stickers

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not one puncutation mark in that whole post...lol

if it were me, i'd build the suspension and brakes first, but if you want cheap power without a lot of hassle i'd spray it :thumbs up

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Going-West said:
not one puncutation mark in that whole post...lol
rofl exactly what i was thinking...

Going-West said:
if it were me, i'd build the suspension and brakes first, but if you want cheap power without a lot of hassle i'd spray it :thumbs up
with him on this one as well. if u dont go forced induction or juice on an sohc motor, ur not gonna get a huge power increase.

another thing u could do is build the internals. get like skunk2 cam's, new valvetrain, and a camgear. then get that shiz tuned. should get u like 30whp MAX. no idea on price but all 3 would prolly cost somewhere around 1-1.5g's.

otherwise, work up the suspension/brakes. civics are tiny and light. with just a few extra mods to sitffen the chassis, u can have tons of fun around curves.

mikeylee said:
also i was wondering should i do any fuel or vtec controllers to change some of the engine characteristics
no need to get chipped ecu's, vtec controllers, etc cuz u wont be getting serious hp unless forced induction and what not. leave it how it is.

mikeylee said:
what are some good lower springs or should i just get new coilovers
depends on how much u wanna drop. u wanna be slammed or have like a 2 finger gap. there are lots of different options for suspension. just dont cheap out and go eBay. worst idea for important parts on cars. just figure out how much u wanna drop. also factor in weather/winter, etc.