Detailing the RSX

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so I was looking at NOFX's "some cars I've detailed" thread in members rides and it finally spurred me to go out and detail mine. Just as I get outside it starts to rain... I do however go out and buy all the stuff needed to do a good job and I figured I would post it up to see if you guys would add or subtract anything from the list. I'll also include prices so people will know what to expect if they want to go out and do this as well.

Here's a picture of the stuff I bought, minus a new bucket (now I have 2, one for rims and one for body)

PS> if anybody likes to cook and can afford a Chicago Cutlery knife set, DO IT.

Ok starting from the back left:
Mothers Claybar: $16.99
Soft sponge: $1.13
Simple Green: $3.97
Meguirs Proffesional Glaze: $10.99
Meguirs Proffesional Wax: $11.99
Mothers Back to Black (plastic treatment): $4.62
Meguirs Gold Class Wash: $7.29
Brush (for rims): $1.84
Applicator Pads: $1.67 each (x2)
Fire Hose Nozzle (for kicks): $9.99
8-pack Microfiber cloths: $4.86 (On sale)
2.25sqft Chamois: $7.78
Bucket (Not pictured): $1.13
Total: $85.92 (Do you still wonder why NOFX charges $150 for a detail?)

I already have metal polish, tire shine, and regular terry towels.
Now must of us don't have that cash laying around, but this stuff is multi-use. The thing that will wear out fastest is the claybar and it's good for 2-3 cars.
When it stops raining I'll do some before and after shots. I'm stoked.

*UPDATE*
Dirty (didn't seem that dirty. Now it seems REALLY dirty)(Dirty lense)

After clay barred. Right half right after clay bar. Left side has been clay barred and glazed. (dirty lense)

Washed. Clay barred. Glazed. Waxed. (Yep, lense is still dirty)

I never got around to using the back to black. Meh.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
Total: $85.92 (Do you still wonder why NOFX charges $150 for a detail?)
:rolf:
Not just that, but all of this has to be replaced at some time or another. Sometimes I might even need a specialty product for some cars. Convertible top cleaner, bug remover, etc.

I personally steer away from sponges, but that's because I wash with microfiber and those clean out easier than sponges do. So I'm just as likely to pick up debris in the cloth as the sponge, but when I toss the cloth in the washer it should come out a lot cleaner than the sponge would. =) It's a personal preference though and some people do like to use sponges or wash mitts.

The Simple Green will be a life saver. On the DAP hatchie the other day I had to use it to get some kind of thick nasty smeer off the front bumper. It's great to spray over an engine bay and then spray off with water. It can remove oily stains from carpetting. I even use it on our pale grey living room carpet here.

That's the same kind of glaze I use. =) Then again, it is one of the few glazes you will find most stores. Oh, and for everyone who PMs me saying they can't find a claybar.... THAT red box in the back is what I'm talking about! It looks like they've done some slight redesign of their packaging lately.

I will say I don't like Back To Black. It doesn't seem to stay on very long and well, you might as well use baby oil. Yes, some detailers will use baby oil to touch up your black trim. It looks good when you pick it up... but quickly goes away. I still have my bottle of Back To Black here. I think I bought it more than a year ago. I'd recommend Meguiar's NXT Tech protectant. Jason's CX hatch has a lot of black trim on it and this makes it look brand new and doesn't wash away soon after.

Good choice on the wash. A good wash is something that way too many people seem to skimp on. I guess they assume dish soap will do the same thing. No, you should not use dish soap. Yes it will strip wax. Will it strip the entire car evenly? Probably not. So I don't think it's a good idea to use it to prep for waxing. Also, I'd imagine it's hell on your rubber moldings since it removes oils. If that trim gets too dry it might even begin to crack.

That brush you bought, I have the same one and use it for upholestry. I see you bought it for wheels. I'm not sure how it might react to any clearcoat you might have, so I'd try to spot test it first. I brush down my interior, mostly the seats with that kind of brush though. It helps get dust out of the seats and then I vacuum everything.

Nice price on the MF though! I wish I could find that deal all the time. I could really stand to replace most of the ones I have. The wash I use to clean them that I've recently started to use definately extends their life though.

(Sorry I wrote so much!)

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks pretty good, although be carefull those knives might scratch your paint.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
updated with pics.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use all of that except the sponge the back to black and the soap....I use that purple Meguirers soap that has the kids on the front :rolls: but comes in a half gallon bottle.

all good stuff and nice work...

Please forgive me if i asked you this already but were you at marcus dairy?

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope. I didn't feel like driving 3.5 hours this summer. Too far. Maybe if they do it a second time this season.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
nope. I didn't feel like driving 3.5 hours this summer. Too far. Maybe if they do it a second time this season.
yeah it was really hot outside too...

o well maybe next time

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey look into invisible glass, I got mine at target, works great for glass and props on the meguiars

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd take out the knifes, and the coffee machine, but thats just me. lol

Looks like your set man, can't wait to see the finished product.

xenoicity

Honda Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mothers california gold claybar kit is whats up...... that so does wonders

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BTW if you get the clay bar it comes with Mother Instant Detailer spray crap stuff. Get another bottle, you'll go through the one provided in no time.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice write up man.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
BTW if you get the clay bar it comes with Mother Instant Detailer spray crap stuff. Get another bottle, you'll go through the one provided in no time.
I can usually use one bottle for several cars for claying.

Anyway though, you can use water as a lubricant too. Just sit there with clay bar in one hand and hose nozzle in the other.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looking good man, take some better pics, because with your cam settings and dourtee lens, your car still looks .... dourtee :lol:

Oh, btw, no thanks on the chicago cutlery .... I'll keep my Wusthofs ;)