Differences between 96-98 and 99-00

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Differences in Body and Interior

Exterior

96-98

Front Bumper (different sized lower grill and no brake ducts, a.k.a. "side vents")
Front headlights (less aerodynamic and blinkers have a "foggy glass cover" and an amber reflector strip and an amber covering for the blinker bulb inside the housing)
Front Upper Grill (smaller in both length and width)
Hood and Fenders (where they meet the front bumper and headlights, they are differently sized)
Tailights (the blinker and a small portion of the inner tail lights near the reverse lights have amber covering)
Rear Bumper (the lower lip of the rear bumper curves underneath the car)

99-00

Front Bumper (different sized lower grill and brake ducts capable of holding OEM foglights)
Front Headlights (more aerodynamic and have orange blinker bulbs with no amber covering and no amber reflector strip, but have a small amber reflector in the inner chrome wall of the blinker)
Front Upper Grill (larger in length and width)
Hood and Fenders (where they meet the front bumper and headlights, they are differently sized)
Taillights (the complete bottom half the light is whited out)
Rear Bumper (the lower lip of the rear bumper curves in then outward a tiny bit from the car)

Interior

96-98

Radio/A/C/Heat Controls (the knobs used to control the temperature of the interior of the car are all located beneath the radio and the CD attachment for the radio is located directly in front of the cupholders in front of the transmission knob)

■ keyless entry is managed by factory head unit

99-00

Radio/A/C/Heat Controls (the knobs used to control the temperature of the interior of teh car are located BOTH to the left and below the radio and the CD attachment for the radio is located in the head unit leaving a storage space directly in front of the cupholders in front of the transmission knob)

■ keyless entry is a part of it's own system
■ Dome light comes on when you remove the key, whereas in the 96-98, it doesn't..
■ Map lights above rear view mirror where the 96-98 does not..
■ Corner lights blink with keyless entry..

Originally posted by Hesus
the differences

96-98

99-00
If you know something else that is not listed, please post it.

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gota question for you guys

will my 99 CX hatchback sideskirts fit on a coupe or si??

99hatchie

5+ Year Member
Yeah When I bought my hatch I didn't know there were differrences but I like the 99's better so I got lucky my car is a 99. Hey do you guys know where I can find a decent price on the Original Civic Type-r Spoiler.

NewEraImports09

Civic Aficionado
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any reason why may i ask, just curious because they can be very expensiveive seen some like on jdm land that go for several hundred, when u can get a replica for about 100-200 depending on where u look

mlassek

5+ Year Member
99-00 are a little heavier

curb weight
MT/AT 96-98 hb:
2238/2304
99-00 hb:
2359/2423
96-98 coupe:
2271/2337
99-00 coupe:
2359/2405
96-98 sedan:
2319/2370
99-00sedan:
2339/2388
96-98 hb:
2253/2319
99-00 hb:
2388/2434
96-98 sedan:
2387/2438
99-00 sedan:
2410/2456 96-98:
2324/2399
99-00:
2370/2445 96-00 coupe:
2460/2496
99-00 coupe:
2513/2560
96-98 sedan:
2518/2568
99-00 sedan:
2513/2562

99-00 coupe:
2612/NA

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
We know that part. In fact that's all in the site specs at the top of the page. Jay Jay is the site admin too... you know, he owns the site. ;)

I think Jay Jay was trying to post ways you can tell them apart easily. Most people don't weigh cars to figure out the year or trim.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
will a 99-00 head unit fit a 96-98?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^^ Though this thread is about the differences between the two ends of the generation, I don't think it's relevant enough to be posted here PLUS it encourages posting off topic. I'd advise to post a thread in electronics. They shouldn't fit though. I'm not really sure where in the car you want it to fit though. Go post in electronics.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It does pertain to this topic, cause the topic is about the differences.

SOHCvegasman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
engine differences

I have been ebaying and looking for headers for my HX i understand that it is a vtec E and all that but what i dont understand is that some headers are for EX only or Non vtec only... where would my HX fit in?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SOHCvegasman said:
I have been ebaying and looking for headers for my HX i understand that it is a vtec E and all that but what i dont understand is that some headers are for EX only or Non vtec only... where would my HX fit in?
this really isn;t the thread for this but if your exhaust manifold and catalitic converter are combined then a non vtec will fit, but if they are seperate pieces the ex header will fit

aemkitfox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
outaurleague said:
What year did the civic go from OBD1 - to OBD2 - Thanks
96 was the first year of On Board Diagnostics Generation 2, not just on civics all cars met that requirement in 96, thats why they ask what year your car is when you go to get your emissions done. 96 and up dont have to roll on the dyno.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xcutedpguy said:
Question: will a 99 front bumper fit on a 98 civic ex and is it an easy bolt on?????
Yes

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wish I would know this before I got my body work done. I thought they were the same.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xcutedpguy said:
Question: will a 99 front bumper fit on a 98 civic ex and is it an easy bolt on?????
no the whole fronts are different it won;t line up unless you do a full front end conversion
Blahman240 said:
wrong. it won;t bolt right up as stated ^^ above by jay jay