DIY: ASR and ITR Sway Bar Installation 6th Generation Civic

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
6th Gen (6G) Honda Civic - ITR 22mm Rear Swaybar and ASR Subframe Brace Install

One of the best suspension mods you can do would have to be upgrading or adding a rear swaybar. Unfortunately, the subframe on Civics tends to tearout if you go much bigger than the 13mm bar that comes on the Si model. A-Spec Racing has addressed this issue with a beefy brace that prevents tearout. This install in going to focus on adding a 22mm Integra Type R rear swaybar to a 2000 Honda Civic. In this install, we are also adding Omni Power Rear Lower Control Arms...mostly for the bling factor, though they are a bit lighter than stock and will replace the worn out bushings in the OE arms.

Items to gather before you start:
- jack and jack stands
- blocks for front wheels
- lug wrench
- torque wrench
- ratchets
- 12mm socket
- 14mm socket
- 17mm socket
- 14mm open ended wrench

First off, here is the ASR Brace, the ITR Swaybar, the Omni LCAs. I also made some End Links out of Aurora Aluminum Rod Ends, and purchased Grade 8 hardware to secure them...due to a shipping error I got one red and one silver...no biggie.

Before you start, go ahead and loosen the lugnuts on the rear wheels so they can be removed once you have the car in the air...this will make it much easier to work on the suspension, especially if you are replacing the LCAs. Now you can block the front wheels, jack up the rear of the car, and support it on jack stands...please make sure to use jackstands.

Once you have the car up and supported, go ahead and remove the rear wheels. This step is optional, but removes a big load, frees up some room, and generally makes the work much easier.

Alright, if you are changing the LCAs out, then you will need to remove both of these bolts...they are both 14mm in OE trim.

Next you will need to remove these two bolts to get the LCAs off...these are again 14mm...and you need to remove them whether or not you are changing LCAs.

You should now be looking at the bare subframe.

This not so thick sheetmetal is the reason big sway bars rip the subframe to pieces.

Here we can compare the shiney new Omni Power LCAs to their OE counterparts. Notice they are the same length and the holes line up...that means these will not correct camber, though some, like SPC arms, do correct camber. The Omni LCAs are mainly 'Bling', though they are a bit lighter. Here we also see the ASR kit with the hardware laid out.

Go ahead and get the ASR Brace and the LCAs in place using the longer, beefier LCA bolts supplied by ASR. Only put these in finger tight for now.

Next you need to get the LCAs attached back to your damper and your trailing arm. You might notice that the trailing arm does not want to line up.

You can either push/pull the trailing arm into place, or use a hammer...I opted for a dead blow hammer. Once you get the holes lined up go ahead and put the OE bolt back in finger tight.

Now we need to get the ASR backing plates in place...this helps spread the load out across a larger area. (This is not required on an Si model because there is a backing plate welded in from the factory.

Go ahead and get the lower bolt in place.

Then get the upper bolt in to get the backing plate aligned right, and go ahead and tighten the lower bolt to 22 lbf-ft.

Here you can see how it helps spread the load.

Now we are ready to add the sway bar.

You can use OE 99-00 Si endlinks, but I opted for heim joint type and pieced my own together. ASR also has this type available as a kit for an additional $70.

The ASR kit comes with these aluminum spacers that basiclly act as metal bushings for your sway bar.

I am using grade 8 hardware, with a 'thick' washer on each side of the swaybar.

From right to left - bolt, end link, thick washer, ASR spacer, swaybar, ASR spacer, thick washer, split washer, self locking nut. Torque this all down to 22 lbf-ft.

For sway bar bushings, I opted for Energy Suspension Graphite Impregnated ones. These are 7/8" (22mm) universal fit and include zerk fittings to grease them. I had some ES Formula 7 grease left over from my Master Bushing install...and decided to lube these guys up.

You will need to remove the top and bottom bolts on the ASR brace, line up the sway bar, and get the bolts back in place finger tight. You can see the ES grease on the bar around the bushing. I just greased the bar and slid the bushing back and forth a few times.

Slide the bar back and forth until your end links are in the correct position...then you will probably have to adjust the length to get them lined up.

Go ahead and get your end links attached to the LCA...but do not tighten them up yet.

With rod end type end links, you will need to space them out...I used three thick washers for this.

It looks a bit crooked, but do not worry, once we lower the car and tighten them up they will straigten out.

Speaking of lowering the car...go ahead and re-install your wheels and get the car back on the ground.

Now we need to torque the bolts to spec.

LCA bolts = 40 lbf-ft
End Link bolts = 22 lbf-ft
Sway Bar Bushing bolts = 20 lbf-ft

All done. If you replaced the LCAs and banged on your trailing arms at all, then an alignment probably wouldn't hurt. Now you just need to make sure to torque your lugnuts back to 80 lbf-ft.

That is all she wrote on this one...you can find the full article with links to larger images HERE.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
excellent job on the write up..

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent write up! nice work

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
right on, that was a killer writeup. I'm going to be running this setup sooner or later. Add a review of how it improved your handling!! thanks for your time and effort!

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank guys.

The difference this made in handling is just silly. I had no rear sway bar to start with, and thought that by stepping up to 22mm, from having none, I would have to learn how to drive again...not so much though. I went real easy at first because everyone said it would make my car 'ass happy' but I just did not get that effect...it basically just made my car handle like I thought it should. The body roll in corners is gone, leaving me comfy in my seat to do my thing, and the car just goes where I guide it now instead of pushing on hard turns. I am sure if I got stupid and hit the brakes way too hard way too late I could get the back-end to swing around on me and cause some drama...but as is the handling is simply MUCH more balanced. I think stepping the front bar up in size just a bit to a 24mm will get it right where I want it.

green

You Can DO IT!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, what shock/spring combo do you have as well?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awsome awsome writeup :thumbs up

ive got a gsr sway bar with endlinks,will that bolt right up to a 5th gen you know?

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am not sure if the EG is a direct bolt in or not..sorry.

green said:
cool, what shock/spring combo do you have as well?
I am using the JIC Magic FLT-1US non-damping adjustable setup...that was a big improvement too. ;)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow, this is going to be a big help when the time comes

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice writeup. how that ride feel now?

ryanM

will i be able to do this with my stock LCA's, i plan to get the omni's but i dont know if i can get them right away.

nighthawk

The One
5+ Year Member
nice writeup. for EX this endling are neccecary or Integra typeR ones can be used? Where to get ASR for best price?=)

tnx

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
will i be able to do this with my stock LCA's, i plan to get the omni's but i dont know if i can get them right away.
Yes, stock LCAs are fine.

nighthawk said:
nice writeup. for EX this endling are neccecary or Integra typeR ones can be used? Where to get ASR for best price?=)

tnx
Get the endlinks from the 99-00 si or the BLOX ones. The interga type r endlinks cannot be used as they require a bushing where it bolts through.

For the ASR brace, try the site sponsor "SpeedFiends"

Oh and be careful cause there are FAKE ASR subframe braces, such as the one used above. You can also find fakes at www.kteller.com. Look at my sig to tell the difference from the two.

nighthawk

The One
5+ Year Member
would just the lower tie bar be sufficient replacment of ASR or could that damage subframe if you put 22mm ITR sway bar on it

tnx

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nighthawk said:
would just the lower tie bar be sufficient replacment of ASR or could that damage subframe if you put 22mm ITR sway bar on it

tnx
you need subframe reinforcement, which a tie bar is not.

slammed98hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
excellent write up!! i have the asr, sway bar, and end links in my garage, going to install them this spring. did i read somewhere that you can run a lower tie bar with this setup?