DIY gone wrong? HELP!!!

carbonculture

5+ Year Member
Right, i had my twin halo projector headlamps fitted on monday but at the time i didnt have the extra wiring/resistor to wire up the halo's....

Now i rang the supplier to ask exactly what i needed to get them to light up and i was told that the wires can be twisted in alongside the sigelights wires....

So today off i went to an electrical store and simply bought some spade connecters and a crimping tool.
All was smelling of roses after i connected the wires in the way i was told to and the halo's light up and looked fanatastic. Now i went to drive down the shop a second ago and upon turning my lights on 1st notch-they light up for a split seconds and went right out-including my side light. so i twisted the lighting to normal beam in 2nd notch and the sidelights worked fine-as does full beam....

Can anyone let me know what has happend? have i blown all my halo's and the inner small light on my headlights?

I hope the pic below helps this query...am very gutted!

PLEASE HELP!

thanks
Carbon

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Try to double check your connections make sure they are connected properly to the proper wires. If it still dosnt come on, disconnect eveything and get like a 9v battery.. and test the halos.. (LEDS are inside the HALOS) just tap the wires to the 9v batt. dont hold it for to long or else your going to burn out the LED.

Also, you can burn out your LEDS if you have accidenly connected the wires wrong.. ground to ground and positive to CONSTANT positive.. it should be on the ACC wire.. or else it will be on all the time..

i know, cuz i blew a set of halos before... HEHE

I hope some of my information helped.....

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
halos are known for blowing out fast, but i think ubroke a record....should go with TYCs!!!!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or get something that isnt disgusting looking...
too bad, waste of money...

carbonculture

5+ Year Member
HYPHYinMy4DR said:
Try to double check your connections make sure they are connected properly to the proper wires. If it still dosnt come on, disconnect eveything and get like a 9v battery.. and test the halos.. (LEDS are inside the HALOS) just tap the wires to the 9v batt. dont hold it for to long or else your going to burn out the LED.

Also, you can burn out your LEDS if you have accidenly connected the wires wrong.. ground to ground and positive to CONSTANT positive.. it should be on the ACC wire.. or else it will be on all the time..

i know, cuz i blew a set of halos before... HEHE

I hope some of my information helped.....
Ah thanks dude, thats great help thanks. am gonna get someone in the know to sort it out. as for looks its a matter of taste. i like em so i chose them for my car =)

They do look abit tacky in that pic but once plugged in tjhey look sweet againt the white and look even better at night-halo or not. Plus my standard lights were knackered anyway so these have actually helped in terms of saftey!

JDMLyfeStyle

DSM DESTROYER!!!!!
5+ Year Member
Very common with LED's

LED's varie But they NEVER use a full 12v

Most manufactures of the lights dont put inline resistors in the halo wiring. so your feeding 12v straight to the LED and it burns out immediately.

You have to know what kind of LED you have first and then you go ahead and put in the matching resistor so that it wont burn out.. But now your SOL and have to rip apart the entire headlight and change the resistors or you can just sell them and buy a new set.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mymmeryloss said:
or get something that isnt disgusting looking...
too bad, waste of money...
And it's not bad if they put out more use-able light too. Nothing worse than a headlight upgrade that makes it darker!!
B

JDMLyfeStyle

DSM DESTROYER!!!!!
5+ Year Member
not to mention i can tell by how the projector is sitting that you were not getting a good pattern on the road. Projector is sitting down WAY too low in the aiming position.

I think you need to do some research on lighting and figure out what is good and what isnt good. Remember you get what you pay for.
My Lights on my car are worth about $1500 and i never have to change a bulb.. never got to mess with them at all because i did it right the first time.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WTF?? f**kin 1500 DOLLARS?!?!?! omfg dude thats like a small car...f**k dat. i'd never put 1500 out on some headlights....

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
JDMLyfeStyle said:
My Lights on my car are worth about $1500 and i never have to change a bulb.. never got to mess with them at all because i did it right the first time.

you sir.... are a f**king liar :mrgreen:

unless you rediculously overpaid for some hid's.. and even then, your bulbs will eventually go out

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99CivicSiBrian said:
And it's not bad if they put out more use-able light too. Nothing worse than a headlight upgrade that makes it darker!!
B
Oddly enough, most aftermarket projector heaslights put out less lighting that their stock countrparts.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Oddly enough, most aftermarket projector heaslights put out less lighting that their stock countrparts.
true dat, especially the TYC gen 1's for the 98-02 accords...i hated those..and they didn't look good...but the TYC elegantes for 5thgen civics look DAMN good.

JDMLyfeStyle

DSM DESTROYER!!!!!
5+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
you sir.... are a f**king liar :mrgreen:

unless you rediculously overpaid for some hid's.. and even then, your bulbs will eventually go out
Brand New E46 Bixenon Setup $550
Old School Denji Housings $110
E46 Reflectors with New ballast and Bulbs $420
Depo Fog lights- 100
Is300 Fog lights 220
2 Wiring Harness $55

Thats $1455 right there
If i added in about the 50 hours of labor i have into this retrofit PLus all the supplies. worth way over 1500 in my eyes :shock:

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this is a known problem. those led rings are always wired wrong or cheap so they burn out. a properly installed led should outlast the car. what i would do is open the headlight and redo it. just buy some led and wire them together, make sure you use the proper resistor. remember when the car is on, they're getting at least 14.4v from alternator.

www.superbrightleds.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/led.htm