DIY How to make DSM injectors fit on a honda.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure if this has been done on CC but I found a good write up on a DIY how to add DSM injectors to a civic with pics.
Bizzar said:
This is my first write-up so bear with me. Tons of pics 56k beware. This should explain how simple it is and CHEAP if you do it yourself. No resistor box needed but you can buy one for $15-30. This method costs about 4 bucks from Radio Shack if you have the tools =) I searched all over the place and could not find a nice write-up on this install so I decided to do one myself. Enjoy!

Tools Needed:

4 Injectors. Can be purchased for apx $40-75 I paid $56 shipped for a set of 450cc 1gen DSM injectors usualy from turbo Eclipse or Talons. There are two types that you will most likely run into. Blue tops and Black tops. The black tops are from 2ng gen and are newer but will work fine.

4 10ohm 10 watt inline resistors available at Radio Shack $1.70 per pair

Heat Shrink tubing $2

Optional : project box for a cleaner install available at Radio Shack for apx $5

Soldering Iron, rosin core solder and optional flux. Be sure to use acid-free or corrosion free solder.

Multi-meter

Apx install time took me less than 1 hour even with taking all the pictures. On with the install!!!!

First lets take a look at the injectors and resistors. The O rings pictured will be ground down to fit in your intake manifold.

Remove the little "tang" on the injector where the connector plugs into. I used a pocket knife. It doesnt have to be pretty just enough material removed for your Honda connector to plug in.

Lightly grind or sand the O ring down and test fit it into your manifold. You want a nice snug and flush fit.

Locate the connector near the left (driver side) strut tower and remove the plug. Remove the wire loom and tape to gain acess to the black/yellow wiring.

Using a multimeter set to ohms, probe the yellow/black wire in the injector clip and the other end in the strut tower connector. If you use the alarm feature on your meter it will "beep" when you have found the correct wire. If it does not beep then you will see a low ohm reading.

Cut the wire and tin it. Tinning is adding solder to the wires to help make a better connection to the resistor we will be installing. I like to dip the ends in flux so the solder sticks to the wires better but you should not have a problem.

A tinned wire with solder

For a water tight seal and a longer lasting setup I recommend using heat shrink tubing. Place a piece of heat shrink over both ends of the cut wire BEFORE making any final solders to the resistor.

Solder each end of the cut wire to the resistor. It is non-directional so it does not matter which way the resistor goes in.

Seal up each connection with heatshrink. You did remember to put the heatshrink on before you soldered the wires right?

Now repeat each step for each injector wire. Take some zip ties or wire ties to make things a little neater. Tape the wires together and re-install the wire loom. If you want a really nice clean setup pick up a project box from Radio Shack and place the resistors inside and secure it somewhere to the body or the back of the strut tower.

The finished product of your hard work!! Turn on the ignition and make sure look for any fuel leaks before starting your car.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i have seen that work, its the same thing as the resistor box, just easier to take a trip to radio shack then the junkyard. One thing, most people use a flux core solder so htere is no need for the tub-o-flux

EDIT: also when i did it, i used honda O rings and bored out the center with a dremel, but both ways will work

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what kinda dremel bit do you use to bore out the o-ring?

The375Boy

ZC b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
now i dont know anything about the DSM injectors, so whats the deal with them? are they an alternative to buying expensive bigger injectors??

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The375Boy said:
now i dont know anything about the DSM injectors, so whats the deal with them? are they an alternative to buying expensive bigger injectors??
yep, you can get dsm injectors for under 100 where as big name injectors would cost well over 200 for a set.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool, ill take this into the archives when the discussion dies down

J!ZZ

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what is the reason for doing this? because i have 1000cc injectors in my teg and it won't start. do i need to do this?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what year is your teg?

good thing i have a 4th gen with a resistor box, dont need to do the external resistor.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there high impendence so yeah you need to do this

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Could 1000cc be a little too big perhaps? I had a friend who couldn't get his car to get up right with 700cc injectors. We swapped to 450cc injectors and everything worked fine.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
amy thats gotta be a typo... 100cc???? THats like way to little for any car. Maybe a Geo.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
J!ZZ said:
what is the reason for doing this? because i have 1000cc injectors in my teg and it won't start. do i need to do this?
why do you need 1000cc injectors to begin with?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
why do you need 1000cc injectors to begin with?
:werd:
Yeah, it was a typo. :P Durp. :P

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nurvcom said:
man i wonder if i will get any hp gains in my d15 non vtec
Not at all, only thing you will accomplish is more fuel being dumped into your motor, running really rich and soaking your cylinder walls with gas.

People do this mod on boosted applications were they need more fuel and are tuning their car with a program. Or high compression motors as well.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96+ dx and cx have 190cc stock instead of teh 240

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine is a 00 civic and i don't have the connector box....how do i do this?

Hondacore

King of Flat Black
5+ Year Member
this will deffinately sound noobish....but i do not have a multimeter...i dont know why...retardation i suppose. is there anyway I can get somebody to post up a wiring diagram that shows which wires need to be cut...the car in the write up appears to have a D16z6 the same as my motor...well not exactly the same i noticed the super =)i would have sexy time with that =)

anywho...help me out, im a cheap bastard and I dont want to have to go out and buy a multimeter and the one guy i know thats got one says his is broke...f**ker. good write up, actual injectors were a breeze to install.

i also wonder would it be possible to just use the DSM fuel injector connectors instead of the honda one? being that the two are very much alike i figure it wouldnt be to hard upon looking at them, youll notice that the DSM ones have one wire thats all the same color on all of them as do your honda ones i assume that is a negative at which point you could just wire in the other wires as well. oh well im using my honda ones i just was curious on that question...

but please help with a wiring diagram...

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow all i have to do is cut them thing inside the injector. plastic things