DIY: Installing a headlights-on reminder buzzer in 88-95 Civics

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
DX's dont have this feature?? My girlfriends and mine both have it.

Can this be wired up to fog lights? Ive left my fogs on several times.
if your foglights were wired correctly, they would turn off when the car turns off. try wiring them to ignition power from your fuse box. its easy.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i just have to say.. kyle, i love that crx

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thanks. me too. i have a thread. link in my sig.

and i have to say...i love that avatar. but we'll save that conversation for the political thread.

connellc

5+ Year Member
This is cool. I wonder where the original buzzer is located (I do not have the manual), as that original buzzer stopped buzzing.

What makes this mod great is that I have a moderate 40db hearing loss in both ears, and I can readily hear this new 76db buzzer.

bobcivic

Fuse Tap

The easiest way to connect the buzzer to the fuses is to use two Bussmann ATC Fuse - Add A Circuits. Part number BP/HHA-RP. They make one for the smaller fuses also. It is recommended that a 3 amp fuse be used for the buzzer. The original fuses are mounted on to the Fuse Tap. Works great!

qwertyuiop

Rockin' Out the Sedans!
Great! My problem is when i'm driving at night and need to use my Headlights, it buzzes. LOL. FAIL.

dasteve003

Hello I'm not really much of a car guy but am going to attempt this on my 1997 Honda Civic, since my stock chime just went out a few weeks ago and not sure how to fix it, should this work with a 97 civic? Also I have a fuse for instrument that is separate from the fuse for taillights/license lights. Does it matter which one of these I use? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

dasteve003

I used the taillight one with the rear defrost and it worked on my 97 Honda Civic, thanks to the people in this forum for posting this, it was so annoying when this feature stopped working on my car but now I have it again!

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
For future reference, there is also a fuse that controls the buzzer. If thats blown the buzzer wont work so check it out before you add one.q

RonJ

Banned
For future reference, there is also a fuse that controls the buzzer. If thats blown the buzzer wont work so check it out before you add one.q
What would the name of the fuse be? for the buzzer if it's the fuse?
Dark is most likely referring to 6th gen Civics (1996-2000) where the lights-on reminder is a standard feature built into the integrated control unit. This DIY thread, however, pertains only 4th and 5th gen Civics (1988-1995), which did not come with the lights-on reminder feature.

quebert00

Another Connection

I have a Keyless Entry System on my car so when I Unlock the doors the headlights turn on causing the buzzer to sound until I turned the key or it timed out. I made these connections and now it doesn't buzz when I Unlock the doors.
Fuse for Right Headlight
Fuse for Backup Light
Note:
The buzzer will not sound if you only have your parking lights on. It will only sound if the main headlights are on.

Personally I don't run only the parking lights and to not hear a buzz everytime I get in the car outweighs this 'glitch'.
This is on a 1995 Civic LX.

Last edited:

this1ej1

Dark is most likely referring to 6th gen Civics (1996-2000) where the lights-on reminder is a standard feature built into the integrated control unit. This DIY thread, however, pertains only 4th and 5th gen Civics (1988-1995), which did not come with the lights-on reminder feature.
Ahh, ok thanks for clearing that up RonJ

dosbirn

I did this also and it worked great!

However, to make neater/more permanent connections, I went to Autozone to buy one of the Bussman ATC "Add-a-circuits" suggested by bobcivic. The guy at Autozone asked what I was doing and I explained everything and he immediately said, NO - you do NOT ever want to connect the hot AND the ground wires to the fuse box. He said it's a fire hazard. He said instead connect the ground wire to metal somewhere outside of the fuse box, which I did. So I only used one of the Bussman add-a circuits for the taillight fuse.

And here's why that won't work....when I turn the headlights on, the buzzer stays on even after I start the car.

So my question is, is this really a fire hazard like the Autozone guy said? Because apparently it won't work unless I use the rear defroster fuse and the taillight fuse.