DIY: More light output on the road at night for 6th Gens

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Not much light output for driving at night with the stock candlesticks. So I thought why not upgrade them for higher output. No, I am not going to put HID capsules in a halogen reflector housing. That is taboo and asking to get flamed by all your anti-hid guys. hehe. Instead I am going to replace the 9003 bulb base that sheds out a mere 800 lumens that comes stock on the civic with H4 bulb bases that blasts out approx. 1500 lumens. lol! These are OSRAM high powered competition bulbs, have a bunch of them so why not put some good use for them.

What you need is new halogen bulbs, H4 bulb bases have more models and outputs available.
This is as easy and removing your old burnt out headlight bulb and replacing it.

Locate your headlight bulb, there is a black connector and you pull towards the rear of the car to remove it. once removed the plug next is to remove the black rubber boot. Exposed you see a clip where you need to unhook and voila. the bulb is out.
Just remember not to finger the lens with your oily fingers as it will create hotspots and blow your bulb.
If you do get oil or dirt on the glass use a lint free cloth with alcohol and wipe it off clean.
installation is the revers.

original bulb had some scorch mark on the glass

9003 NA specs is H4 Euro specs

before the upgrade with DRL on

after the upgrade with DRL on

left is stock and right is OSRAM

no I didn't upgrade the wiring but I replaced the OEM plug and terminals.
heavy duty nylon connectors

brass terminals

Last edited:

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is nicely done, and is exactly what I need to attempt as the bulbs in my integra are horrendously dim.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
This is nicely done, and is exactly what I need to attempt as the bulbs in my integra are horrendously dim.
also it is a fairly cheap but gives great result upgrade.
two competition osram bulbs 100 watts are like around 20 usd shipped.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might want to clarify what year you are working on here.

My 5th gen came stock with H4 bulbs.