DIY: Painting Fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a set of old ricer fenders laying around and decided i needed to freshen up on my painting skills. Here is what i used and how i went about it:

Sand paper: 320, 800, 1000 grit
Rust-oleum Primer
Rust-oleum Jet Black Paint (actual auto paint, not spray can)
Dupli-color Clear Coat
Rust-oleum Tac Cloths

I first sanded down the fiberglass fenders with 320 grit to knock down the small imperfections in the glass. i then wiped down both fenders with a wet lint free terry cloth and primered them (2 Coats)

Once dry, I sanded over the primer with 800 grit very lightly cause i wanted a smooth surface but didn't want to remove any primer. I then cleaned then with the tac cloths.

Using my Air compressor and HVLP Spray Gun set to 40psi gun pressure, i laid down 3 coats of jet black on each fender.

Once dry i then wet sanded both fenders with 1000 grit and put 2 coats of clear on them. the dupli-color clear was spray can cause i had it laying around

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Got any final pics mounted on car in daylight?

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No. I don't have my civic anymore. These were just laying around and I needed to brush up on skills cause I want to start painting more on the side

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not too shabby!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I never really thought those looked bad. I kinda dig em , f**k me right?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Look kind of green to me but im sure thats just the picture and my poor eyesight.

Looks like good work, but maybe post up more of them in some better lighting so we can how well they came out?

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look kind of green to me but im sure thats just the picture and my poor eyesight.

Looks like good work, but maybe post up more of them in some better lighting so we can how well they came out?
Yeah i will set them outside and get pics of them out in natural night instead of my garage

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
They look alright in that lighting. And I agree with R3dline, I like the fenders myself as well. They look like the F-1 Style fenders by Extreme Dimensions (which is what I'm getting ready to purchase for my Civic). Any updates on the pics taken in better lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.