DIY Rear camber fix aka washer trick

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EK9 said:
does it really work? i have a little camber wear right now...

Yes it really does work, Just had my alignment fixed about a week ago. Havent had any problems either!

jasonsa

!!!TILA!!!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
camaber issue

Are there any tricks like that to fix front camber porblems?

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know about the front ones, I got Skunk2 Camber kits on the front.

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so you don't put the washers on the screw just between the car and the screw thats where i am lost can somebody help me out

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for example when you losen bolt 1 how do you slide washers in there if the screw is blocking it?

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no, the washers go behind the plate the bolts go through, so the order is, car, washers, plate, bolt head, hope that helps. I just did this the other day too, except I had thinner washers and used two, about a .5 degree positive change. I'm still running a bit of negative camber, but not a damaging amount like I was before.

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loosen one bolt, and then take the other one completely out so you can put the washers in, then screw it back in a bit, so it holds when you take the other one out to put the washers in, saves a lot of trouble. If the holes don't line up perfectly so you can put the bolt in, just set a cement block under the suspension and lower the jack down until you are resting on the block and it has pushed the suspension up until the holes line up, then put the bolt through the hole, put the washers on the end of the bolt, then just thread it back in and tighten it down. You don't want to go too tight though. If you have the Ingalls shim kit as it is called, it recommends only 28 foot pounds of pressure.

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh i see thanks that helps a lot what are you talking about the block thing for you got me confused

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why does it say use any where from 30 - 45 mm bolts how do you know which one to buy?

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
because if you require more washers to correct your camber you will require longer bolts.

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i understand that but how do you know which length to get why not just get the maximum... 45 what if you going to use 4 washers on each bolt.... whats a good size to get?

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you only use lets say 2 washers u don't want a long bolt cause it won't fit snug. i've only heard of people using 2-3 washers so i guess 4 would require the 45mm bolt.

crazydyke

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im planning to try this but i think im gonna add just one or 2 washers, so do i need to buy another bolt?

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
oh i see thanks that helps a lot what are you talking about the block thing for you got me confused
if the holes don't line up when you're trying to put the bolt back in, just put a cement block under the arm of the suspension, not under the brake. Then just lower the car with the jack to compress the suspension until the holes line up. I hope that's more explanatory

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
x007den said:
if you only use lets say 2 washers u don't want a long bolt cause it won't fit snug. i've only heard of people using 2-3 washers so i guess 4 would require the 45mm bolt.
its not recommended to use more than 3 bolts, you should get a real camber kit in that case

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SpenceyVTEC said:
its not recommended to use more than 3 bolts, you should get a real camber kit in that case
Edit...FYI...3 washers per bolt...not 3 bolts.

Total fix = 4 bolts/12 washers.

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, I know, I typed that real late and I was really tired, I hope I didn't confuse anybody, but yeah, not recommended to use more than 3 washers per bolt and there are two bolts per side as you can see from the pictures

Toms98civ

Insomnia
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah it's true all you need is like a bolt and those washers for the rear and it works fine. I have skunk 2 camber on the front. you need to replace the upper control arms.