DIY: strip your valve cover and repaint (56K probably not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ha I like that I want one with a guiness logo. BTW where did you get the aircraft stripper??

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
Ha I like that I want one with a guiness logo. BTW where did you get the aircraft stripper??
i got it from a friend and i couldn't tell you where he got it from, but i guess try pep boys or ask a body shop where to get it from

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got mine from lowe's. it's not the aircraft stripper brand but it got the job done, just look for paint remover that will work on metal

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats sick :thumbup: very nice work. makes me want to customize mine.. so many things to do with my car, so little money :(

snozepp147

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shiznit said:
thats sick :thumbup: very nice work. makes me want to customize mine.. so many things to do with my car, so little money :(
spray paint is pretty cheap ;)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Man oh man, i cant wait to do mine over. A buddy of mine finally found some of the paint. definitly one of the next things that im gonna be doing.

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i found this thread a few weeks ago. i def. wanted to do the wrinkle red but the few places i went to didnt have it. probably could of found it somewhere in town. but i did find the krylon wrinkle black. it ran 6.57/can.i decided to get that instead, thinking red would kinda clash with everythign else in my engine bay. my buddy the night before painted his teggy valve cover bronze so i used his paint stripper stuff just to get all the crap off it. i put about 3 coats on it. it came out really good. only i must of not gotten off some oil or something above and below the A. you can only see it looking straight down or when theres light going along side of it. the wrinkle hides it well.i dont think its noticable in the pics. but i get let it air dry for a bit and while it was still tacky i just threw it back on the car...i didnt care obviously. once i drove the car and warmed it up, it wrinkled right up. looks tits now. in the process of puttin the valve cover back on i broke the top left bolt. 3/4 of the threading is still stuck in there. i got a new bolt and everything. luckly no i have no oil mess...yet. dunno how the hell im gonna get the res t of the bolt out. anyways. heres pics.

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
44mag said:
I feel your pain. Im driving with a broken bolt too.
yea..it sucks. im king of driving with broken bolts. i have a suspen. bolt in the back ive been rockin broke too now for awhile. hah!

squidmaster

pen0r squid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
superfly they look really nice

does it really take 12 FULL hours to dry? dayyyum.

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^

wow....did you repaint that yourself??

with what paint?

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i did. i did it along with the op, the Krylon paint

bunbohue

5+ Year Member
matt96ex said:
i found this thread a few weeks ago. i def. wanted to do the wrinkle red but the few places i went to didnt have it. probably could of found it somewhere in town. but i did find the krylon wrinkle black. it ran 6.57/can.i decided to get that instead, thinking red would kinda clash with everythign else in my engine bay. my buddy the night before painted his teggy valve cover bronze so i used his paint stripper stuff just to get all the crap off it. i put about 3 coats on it. it came out really good. only i must of not gotten off some oil or something above and below the A. you can only see it looking straight down or when theres light going along side of it. the wrinkle hides it well.i dont think its noticable in the pics. but i get let it air dry for a bit and while it was still tacky i just threw it back on the car...i didnt care obviously. once i drove the car and warmed it up, it wrinkled right up. looks tits now. in the process of puttin the valve cover back on i broke the top left bolt. 3/4 of the threading is still stuck in there. i got a new bolt and everything. luckly no i have no oil mess...yet. dunno how the hell im gonna get the res t of the bolt out. anyways. heres pics.

wow thats nice... i didn't know we can paint the d-series valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.