DIY: strip your valve cover and repaint (56K probably not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I decided to repaint my valve cover because it began to crack and pieces were falling off and i have a lotta spare time in college, lol, so here goes...
*** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, THIS IS SIMPLY A SUGGESTIVE WRITE UP***
Supplies/Tools:
-Paint thinner
-Aircraft grade paint stripper
-Paint (Krylon 3380 RED WRINKLE)
-Painters tape
-Sandpaper

Me (Shea) and Brett (bcivichb) both did our valve covers at the same time

the chemicals and the paint: got the paint at autozone

Before:

1. Apply the aircraft stripper in generous amounts, we did 2 1/2 to 3 coats with some cheap paint brushes from k-mart. It starts working about 1-2 minutes after you apply it, you can use a plastic scraper to remove the stripped paint. Then after you get what you can with the stripper take it to a hose and rinse off the remaining flakes (we used our kitchen sink 'cuz we don't have a hose :lol: )

2. After you rinse them, dry them off to the best of your ability and get ready to sand the corroded spots and the badges (Honda, VTEC and symbol). We used 350 grit to start with then finished it off with 600 before paint. Make sure you sand all the corroded spots because the paint will not stick if you don't

3. Now take your valve cover back to the sink/hose and get some soap this time and clean it real good then get the paint thinner and a rag out and go over it a couple times to get everything off the surface. After this step try not to touch the paint surface

4. Now tape up all the areas you don't want paint to get in to:

5. Now comes the painting, the Krylon we used said do 3 coats in 5 minute intervals. Make sure you remove the tape while the paint is wet, if you take it off when its dry you can take the paint up with it

then with the tape removed:

6. Let them sit at least 12 hours to dry then set the oven to 200 degrees and throw it in there for 20 minutes

7. Next you can sand the badges if you want, get the painters tape back out and the sandpaper and repeat what you did in step 2 (350 -> 600)

After sanding the paint off the badges, your good to go, just clean the dust off and take some pics and post them in here!

Some random extra pics:

edit: this might be in the wrong section, sorry

heres some links to buy the paint if you can't find it anywhere local (note its not krylon but i couldn't find krylon but the part number is 3380 RED WRINKLE)

http://vht.carshopinc.com/product_in...id/56288/SP204

http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/...?idProduct=347

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VHT-P...spagenameZWD1V

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good. Nice write up. :thumbs up. Im swapping my head here soon, so Im gonna repaint my valve cover too. Im gonna use this as a reference. =)

#1FG

Rev Limiter= Fun Limiter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice DIY... I like the outcome...might have to do it myself :thumbs up

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very nice finished product. I would do something like this if my valve cover was actually visible

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
defvayne said:
damn those look sweet!!!!
thanks dude

King Bob said:
very nice finished product. I would do something like this if my valve cover was actually visible
thanks, you can't see the vc on 8th gen's?

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shea said:
thanks dude

thanks, you can't the vc on 8th gen's?
go check the member ride 8th gen section for under hood pix of my car, the vc is way back there and ther is a plastic cover up front.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can the paint withstand the temps? great write up btw.

the one closer the the camera looks alot rougher than the other. any reason?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks like it came out great. I know what my next project is going to be.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow those looks really good man :thumbs up

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks again for all the comments

--<EM1>-- said:
can the paint withstand the temps? great write up btw.

the one closer the the camera looks alot rougher than the other. any reason?
my buddy painted an LS cover with the same paint and he's been driving with for a while now and its been holding up to the heat, about the one looking rougher then the other, mine didn't come out as wrinkled as the other one and i don't really know why, i think he may have used more paint

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
are there any fumes when u baked it?

and was this vc off of your car? or one that u switched once it was painted?

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there were some fumes but they went away after baking them, thats the vc off my car

BrakeLights said:
going to do this to my ls valve cover this weekend, thanks man!
no problem man, post some pics when you get done!

mitcheg6

Deanh22
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn, that s**t looks tight for a DIY- i thik i might do mine this weekend too!
--nice write up to man!

Status
Not open for further replies.