DIY: window tinting a la maison

sleeper si

Registered VIP
still with the door panel off from replacing the door lock actuator, comes my 2nd bird DIY tinting the passenger door for as cheap as you can go on rfd, 10 dollar per window, lol! maybe cheaper if the film goes on sale.
tools you would need, remember going cheap and using what you would normally have at home.
2 razors = 20 cents
paper towels
a clean used empty SIMONIZ spray bottle with water and dish washer detergent mix
window cleaner
a rubber squeegee or if you don't have one a credit card will work.
a roll of 35% gila tint from CT, was feeling lucky and had some 5% limo for the sunshade on the front windshield.
=)

made in the usa, remember gila was around in the mid 80's.

don't you love lifetime warranties =)

clean the exterior window with glass cleaner

clean interior glass with window cleaner

now clean the inside with razor, first horizontal and second vertically

]

spray your home made concoction from the simoniz bottle over the exterior glass

unroll the film on the outside glass with the clear liner on the outside (the film is two parts) covering all of the glass

using the razor you need to cut the front (side mirror) and rear edge using the rubber molding/seal as a guide. If you have a steel ruler you can use that and place it right again the seal edge and cut along in one motion.

now with some caution lower the window lifting up the lower part of the film so it does not get creased. Now you have a guide to cut the top part of the film, use one motion.

for the two corners I don;t like to leave a sharp corner but a rounded corner (less prone to peeling)

probably you won't get a nice smooth cut like me on your first try but don't let it discourage you.

remove the liner and spray your homemade brew

drench it wet as it will make it easier for you to move the film on the glass

placed film on the inside

position the film, wet the film and sqeegee away

i like to leave a 2 mm gap, eliminates the film from curling

for the two corners I don;t like to leave a sharp corner but a rounded corner (less prone to peeling)

probably you won't get a nice smooth cut like me on your first try but don't let it discourage you.

remove the liner and spray your homemade brew

drench it wet as it will make it easier for you to move the film on the glass

placed film on the inside

position the film, wet the film and sqeegee away

i like to leave a 2 mm gap, eliminates the film from curling

then i got carried away and did a sunstrip on the front windshield =) same instructions as before

needed a light to see where to cut.

]

Last edited by a moderator: