Do coilovers take the place of struts and shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hate to start another thread on something like this, but I've never really seen an answer to my question. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask: Do coilovers take the place of your struts and shocks?

I'm looking to lower my civic and I need new struts and shocks. At first I was thinking about getting some tokico struts and shocks, but then after hearing about Progress CS-II coilovers, I really want those. Would I still need shocks if I got coilovers or do they take the place? I'm guessing coilovers take the place of struts and shocks, but I'm new to all this, so I don't really know.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, u won't need shocks, but u will need a coilover/strut combo.

Do some more research between the difference in shocks and struts and then come back and answer your own question.

Basically search for coil spring, strut and shock.

Then look at strut/coilover combo and all sorts of fun junk like that!

Then u will almost be a suspension pro!

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the help! After researching like you suggested, all I got out of it was that shocks and struts are pretty much the same thing. anyways these are what I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-progress-cs-ii-series-2-coilovers-civic-integra.cfm

would I need to keep my struts/get new ones to use with those? My civic has a stock suspension so what all would I need to go the coilover route?

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Works fine for me. :shrugs:

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ew stomp on it!!! I wanted to do that to my old Droid.

pinoiballa14

Deretsiger Resu
theres a spring and strut combo where you buy springs and struts.

then theres coilovers where its basically the spring and shock built already together. and the choice of adjusting how low you want to go of stiffness, etc.

i have type 1 coilovers. 600 on weaksauceparts.com. hope this helped =D

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
I'm going to get these in December. If you get them before then post some pics! I'm really curious to see how they look

Tim Black

If your gonna take the struts off to put the coilovers on might as well replace the struts to save double work later. The added stress on your factory struts might not last long or maybe they will. It's just a roll of the dice I like to do it the right way the first time save back work

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your gonna take the struts off to put the coilovers on might as well replace the struts to save double work later. The added stress on your factory struts might not last long or maybe they will. It's just a roll of the dice I like to do it the right way the first time save back work
check the date on the last post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.